Body Side Mouldings

ScooterS

I also have ordered Body side molding but from a different source. I went with SportWing's ChromeLine moldings as I like the Chrome Insert breaking up the vast painted expanse on the doors. I have been using SportWing's moldings on all of the family cars for several years and have never had a problem with color match, paint fade, or anything... I currently have set on my Taurus SHO which is the hard to match White Platinum Pearl or "Tri-Coat" and they are a perfect color match. The SportWing catalog shows the C-Max and Focus using the same Part Number. I confirmed this is true, in e-mail, before ordering a set. The C-Max is installed with different measurements than the Focus to put the molding where it needs to be to protect the doors. The attached picture, from SportWing's website is a of a Focus, I'll post pictures of mine once they arrive and are installed. I have installed them myself, with my wife's assistance, but for the $40.00 the local independent body shop charges I usually pay to have them mounted.

Disclaimer: I have no financial interest in this company, I am a very satisfied customer and this post is just showing another option available for C-Maxer's....:D

Regards,

post-119-0-20051300-1354122072_thumb.jpg

Edited by RedLdr1

I received a set of moldings from bodysidemouldings.com and am really happy.  The packaging was great and the moldings arrived scuff-free.  I was impressed with the paint, as it really is a perfect match to my gray C-Max.  These moldings are also for the Focus and came with installation instructions only for the Focus.  The new instructions that include the C-Max can be found at http://dawn-ent.com/install/fe-focus084dr.pdf.

My wife and kids pulled into the drive as I was installing them, and I had one side done.  They asked what I was doing and I pointed to the moldings on the finished side.  My kids were confused because they thought they were already there.  I told them to look at the other side which was half done.  In short, they look like they belong on the car and the kids thought they were there all along.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Just ordered a set from www.bodysidemouldings.com from the reviews posted here. I will post how they look when I get them.

They arrived and the paint match was perfect. I did have one chip in the mouldings. I called them, left a message and they called back in about an hour. They emailed me a return FedEx label and once I dropped of the return they had sent a new set one day later. I am very happy with the customer service and their understanding about concern. I just can't wait for the new set to show up. It takes about 4 Business days for delivery.

• 5 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 5 weeks later...

Not to discourage anyone from doing this, but having body side mouldings isn't a guarantee against parking lot dings. I once received the "Mother" of all door dings in a parking lot in Raleigh NC and

my car had the side moldings. This woman threw her door open and it jammed up so hard  against my door that she could not pull it back off. I was only gone for a few minutes and when I returned she

was arguing with another woman in the parking lot. I was able to pry her door back away off of mine but it left a horrible scar!! At least she had insurance!!! :drop:

Well, I also have two issues with these:

1) How hard is it to get them straight?  I'm not real good at such things and am guessing that the results would look far worse than any ding.

2) Since nearly ALL gasoline cars come with them, is it a coincidence the C-Max doesn't have them or will they remove even 1 mpg from the drive?  Everything about this car is engineered aerodynamically, and I have to believe there was a reason they were left off.  Now, losing 1 or 2 mpg (most likely at highway speeds) isn't a HUGE deal I suppose, but with that combined with my lack of ability to get this right I suspect I'm just better off taking my chances.

Easy to install, Just take your time.  Ford has not included side mouldings  on Fusions since 2009 and never on Edges or the current generation Focus. They saved the paint on my 2011 Edge and allowed a paintless dent repair after a very significant parking lot incident. I have put them on my last 5 cars.

Edited by PJFW8

Cost and appearance is my guess.  Moldings may help or hurt mileage but probably not to a significant degree.  They removed moldings from many different models since 2009, so the effect would be variable. I doubt if aerodynamics is part of it! If you want moldings get them. Personally, I like the look and I never noticed a difference in mileage. The C-Max is the fifth car where I added them.

Well, you'd have to run tests but I still think it's an mpg thing.

Cost wouldn't be a factor -- they would just offer it as an option.  I *suppose* appearance could be some sort of design decision, but since nearly every other car on the market has them it just doesn't make sense they would decide to go a different direction on the two cars they got dinged on mpg.  

I suspect it's mostly going to hurt highway speeds mpg, so if you don't travel that much at those speeds probably not a factor at all.  I just hate to lose even a small amount (and if I *did* notice a hit it would be hard or impossible to remove them without looking ugly afterwards).