2013 or 2015? Touchscreen or No?

Madison15

I am about to purchase a Ford C-Max, but I'm torn between two choices and would like some insight. My first choice is a Platinum White 2015 SE with 16,000 miles WITHOUT a touchscreen at $16,300. The 2nd choice is a 2013 Ice Storm SE WITH a touchscreen at $14,900. The Ice Storm has a tiny dent and a small paint chip on the passenger side. Which do you think is the wiser choice? Is the lack of a touchscreen kind of a deal-breaker?

We specifically didn't want the touchscreen because we liked the "shelf" that is in front of the small screen.  We put our GPS there and it works out great since we use the small built-in screen very little.  If the 2013 doesn't have navigation, I don't see much advantage in the touchscreen.  We've never questioned our choice - and we factory ordered.  Of course, its quite a personal thing.

Thanks, that helps. I just wondered if it would hurt me in resale down the road. Will cars without touchscreens look dated?

If you are worried about resale value, you are likely buying the wrong make and model. :)   Buy a Prius. ;)

Seriously, the C-Max IMO is a great car.  There are a few that have had "no-start" issues due to a discharged 12 V battery (it seems more on 2013 SEs although it may appear more prevalent due to more 13s being sold).  One would hope Ford has resolved this on 2015s and via it's TSBs for earlier models.  I have MFT and could easily live without it since I don't have Navigation.  If you want OEM Navigation you will need MFT (larger screen) as you can buy used APIM modules with Nav or get the existing one re-programmed (search ebay).  Garmin for areas without cell service and Smartphones IMO are better.   So, I'd go with the 2015 as I don't believe MFT absent Navigation (as in the 2013 you are looking at) adds value.  

Edited by Plus 3 Golfer

Thanks. They're both SE's. Yeah, I noticed a lot more 2013's on the market. Some with low mileage (like this one only has 18,000 miles). Of course, I'm also leery that a 2015 is on the market already. I tend to hold onto my cars and so I always wonder why someone would trade in a year old car.  Have you heard of anyone with a 2015 having a battery problem?

Is it SE or SEL...

based on what you hear on the site  the SE  i s more prone to the 12v battery problems.  while the SEL with the touch screens  did not exhibit the 12v battery problems.

might want to run a search on that...

I guess this depends on how you look at the info here.   I looked at this issue and found (according to the poll) that owners of SE's with the MFT (touch screen) had very few reports of issues.   You will have to look at the poll and the numbers and decide for yourself.  The battery issue had many solutions along the way including wiring harness issues. I looked at 2013 vs 2014 and decided that a newer car gave them more time to work out bugs.  I do agree that the standard SE had a lot of battery issues at least at first.  To me the MFT was a must have partly because of the battery issue.  I think it looks more high end than the standard screen and I think the sound is much better too.

I bought a 2014 SE (with MFT) and have been very happy with the car.   

I am about to purchase a Ford C-Max, but I'm torn between two choices and would like some insight. My first choice is a Platinum White 2015 SE with 16,000 miles WITHOUT a touchscreen at $16,300. The 2nd choice is a 2013 Ice Storm SE WITH a touchscreen at $14,900. The Ice Storm has a tiny dent and a small paint chip on the passenger side. Which do you think is the wiser choice? Is the lack of a touchscreen kind of a deal-breaker?

I'd go with the 2015 myself, it is two years newer and a better value. You can use Google maps for navigation.

The 2013 does have some advantages, they removed some of the displays with the 2014 model. But unless the 2013 has nav, I'd suggest passing.

Run a carfax on whichever one you are seriously considering. The 2015 may have been a rental, for example.

I have a 2013 SE without navigation or MFT. I did have a battery problem, but it was replaced by Ford for free. Otherwise, the only complaint I have is that the sound of the simple SE radio/speakers is horrible. I wish I got the upgraded version just for that reason. If you like to listen to tunes when you drive, consider the SEL wish better sound. 

Nyet, keep looking.  Just one/my opinion:  SEL w/ touchscreen/NAV all the way.  Any year will do, they are 99% the same, all depends on your price point, miles, and how well the vehicle has been maintained.  There are great values out there, just scrutinize the one you want very carefully in person and per the records.

Good luck,

Nick

Edited by C-MaxSea

some 2013s have major transmission failures which is very costly if not under warranty.  Design was changed to remedy this.  So some 2013s are problematic but if your car was built late in the year it may have the mods. 

So I would definitely get the 2015 rather than the 2013.  I would also look on cars.com for a new 2015.

I have a 2013 SE with MFT/Touchscreen and have had no 12 V battery problems.  I like the touchscreen, and actually wanted it as an option, even though I didn't get nav.  I've used Sync with and without touchscreens in rental cars, and it's been a pain and flaky without, and always simple with.  I didn't want nav because it's expensive and will never keep up with what you can get on a mobile device for less.  The only advantage it has is if you're way out of cell coverage, but there are inexpensive nav devices that can deal with that if you need it.

I'd go with the 2015 myself, it is two years newer and a better value. You can use Google maps for navigation.

The 2013 does have some advantages, they removed some of the displays with the 2014 model. But unless the 2013 has nav, I'd suggest passing.

Run a carfax on whichever one you are seriously considering. The 2015 may have been a rental, for example.

What displays are missing on the 2014 model?  I thought my displays were the same as the 2013? 

I have a 2013 SE without navigation or MFT. I did have a battery problem, but it was replaced by Ford for free. Otherwise, the only complaint I have is that the sound of the simple SE radio/speakers is horrible. I wish I got the upgraded version just for that reason. If you like to listen to tunes when you drive, consider the SEL wish better sound. 

I think getting an SE with the MFT option will give you the same sound system found in the SEL unless you get the Sony package. 

What displays are missing on the 2014 model?  I thought my displays were the same as the 2013? 

It would be interesting to see what the difference is. The only display I can think of as "missing" from the 2013 is the lifetime average. Though the 2015 does have an advantage in that you can have the Fuel History (5, 10, or 30 minutes) on the right side, as well as the coach, instead of just the efficiency leaves. Beyond that, it seems like same displays are there, though arranged a bit differently on the newer models.

• 3 months later...

Is it SE or SEL...

based on what you hear on the site  the SE  i s more prone to the 12v battery problems.  while the SEL with the touch screens  did not exhibit the 12v battery problems.

might want to run a search on that...

Sorry Mark but I don't agree (at least with the research I did).  The SEL also had issues and I also think that the 2013 (any model) is more prone to this problem.  The 2013 had many reports of this with many fixes.   These were fixed as time went on.  That is why I decided to get a 2014 and not a 2013.  The newer the car the less of a chance of having this issue.  I do agree that the issue seemed to be more with SE with the standard displays (non touch screen) in the early years.  

I have an SE with the touch screen and I have been happy with it.  

There is plenty of information on the issue here on this site.  I spent months looking into this and actually the number of SE models with the touch screen was much lower than the SEL.   The big unanswered question here is now many people in the survey purchased these models with no problems.  i would think the SEL sells more than the SE.