2016 C Max hissing sound

twinkies99

Hello,

I am new to this forum and hope I can find some answers. I just purchased my C Max in December and I do not recall hearing a hissing noise when I accelerate and brake, but for the past week I have noticed that when I am accelerating up to about 20-30 mph and when I am braking I hear a hissing sound. I have taken my car to the dealer and they said there is nothing wrong with the car and one service guy said it was a pedestrian warning sound the car makes. This sound is more obvious when the radio is off, but even if the radio is low I can hear it. It is very annoying. Is anyone else experiencing anything similar?

Val :sad:

I just purchased my C Max in December and I do not recall hearing a hissing noise when I accelerate and brake, but for the past week I have noticed that when I am accelerating up to about 20-30 mph and when I am braking I hear a hissing sound. I have taken my car to the dealer and they said there is nothing wrong with the car and one service guy said it was a pedestrian warning sound the car makes.

There is no pedestrian warning sound on the 2013. Does your Owner's Manual reference that this feature was added in later years? I had never heard about this being added.

Mine is very quiet with on electric.  I drive a lot without the sound system off and I have never noticed this sound.  A pedestrian alert would only be needed in elec mode.  I don't say I noticed anything in ICE mode either. 

If you can hear this all the time when the ICE is on then maybe test drive another C-Max at the dealer.  If you hear it there too then it is probably normal.   If not take the service guy/gal for a ride.   Just an idea.    

Hello,

I am new to this forum and hope I can find some answers. I just purchased my C Max in December and I do not recall hearing a hissing noise when I accelerate and brake, but for the past week I have noticed that when I am accelerating up to about 20-30 mph and when I am braking I hear a hissing sound. I have taken my car to the dealer and they said there is nothing wrong with the car and one service guy said it was a pedestrian warning sound the car makes. This sound is more obvious when the radio is off, but even if the radio is low I can hear it. It is very annoying. Is anyone else experiencing anything similar?

Val :sad:

It would not be a "hissing" sound, it would be a beep, and it would only happen at very slow speeds or in reverse. That is not a "Pedestrian" warning sound.

I don't know if you have read it here yet, but the 2016 Ford literature indicates the 2016 will not go into EV above 62 MPH. We think this is an error on their website. When you get a chance, can you report back if the car goes into EV above 62 MPH?

All previous years after 2013 (system was reflashed during that year) will go into EV at any speed up to 85 MPH.

@ Stevedebi,

My car does go into EV mode above 62mph. As for the sound thank you for the info. I actually have taken it back to the dealership and they say everything is normal and the car is fine, I even had the guy drive with me so he could actually hear it,  but I think I am going to go back to my sales guy and ask him to let me test drive another cmax because I do not think that sound should be happening. To me it seems as though the service guys do not have too much experience with the Hybrids yet so they may not know what the sound is. I will keep trying and update when I find out.

@ Stevedebi,

My car does go into EV mode above 62mph. As for the sound thank you for the info. I actually have taken it back to the dealership and they say everything is normal and the car is fine, I even had the guy drive with me so he could actually hear it,  but I think I am going to go back to my sales guy and ask him to let me test drive another cmax because I do not think that sound should be happening. To me it seems as though the service guys do not have too much experience with the Hybrids yet so they may not know what the sound is. I will keep trying and update when I find out.

Excellent, thanks for trying it out. We can put that mis-information to rest...

@ Stevedebi,

"I would go to a BIG FORD Electric Dealer and have them figure it out. I think your chances will be better at solving the problem.  ;)

Paul

@ Stevedebi,

To me it seems as though the service guys do not have too much experience with the Hybrids yet so they may not know what the sound is. I will keep trying and update when I find out.

Not the first time I have heard this.  like anything it takes time for techs to learn about new technology. 

I have heard that some think that with using 48V systems the OEM's can do a very mild hybrid system for very low cost.  Enough so that they say it could become standard for every car.  Kind of odd topic but the techs will have a lot of experience then. 

Instead of test driving a 2016 CMax at your own dealer go to another dealer who doesnt know you and test drive one like a new buyer (drive there in a non Cmax car if you can or park out of sight so they dont see your own car when you pull up) so that you wont get a biased response. Once purchased, many dealers just laugh and dont want to deal with you and say "its normal". .

best to always get a 2nd opinion on a different car on another dealers lot.

i know the CMax has an active noise cancelling system in the speakers/radio  and a LOT of sound deadening material in the doors (unlike the lack of such in the cheap prius) so any outside noise should be minimized even morre on this car compared to others, so if you hear a noise its not/shouldnt be normal.

any pedestrian warning noise would only be heard by those OUTSIDE the car not inside the car.

let us know what you find out but I have a feeling its not normal

be sure to post it on the ntsb site as a possible defect/problem  so there is a record and history in case others have this issue

Edited by salsaguy

@ salsaguy

That is a good suggestion. I didn't think about that. I will definitely go to another dealer nearby. I am also pretty sure this is not normal because the noise is very obvious as I drive and I know I would've noticed that Immediately when I test drove the car the first couple of times.

I will update as I find out more. I hope I find what the problem is soon. Other than this sound I truly do like this car.