Energi too big for 5' tall wife!!!!!

Gotbikes

We finally found one!! and went to the Oak-Land Ford dealership in Oakville yesterday, ostensibly, to order a new C-Max Energi (and take a test drive).  I had done a ton of research and found this car to be perfect for a retired, active and forward thinking cycling, hiking and xc skiing couple with a crippled Black Lab rescue-dog.  We live in a small town and 98% of our trips are within the Energi’s electric range.  But this magical car has a little ICE tucked away under the hood for our twice a year foray to the big city – two cars in one without extra capital investment, insurance, maintenance, parking space, etc.

A next-gen replacement for our, heretofore ideal, but now beleaguered by dieselgate scandal, Jetta TDI Sportwagen!  

I loved the Energi; it drove surprisingly well although there was a dizzying array of info displayed on the dash.  The standard features were refreshing to see - Ford wasn't going to penny and dime us to death with extra fees for every option like other car makers do. Our sales-rep Mark and the dealership staff were excellent.  The skis fit in with the seats down.  The dog could get up her ramp into the cargo area - even with the larger battery in the plug-in version!  The bike rack will fit on the back hatch but our bikes would fit in the cargo section easily with the wheels off and a blanket between. 

BUT, when it came to my wife's experience - she's a pretty normal 5 feet tall (at the 30th percentile);  the passenger seat has no height adjustment and she felt very uncomfortable with her feet (seemingly) dangling in the air.  The driver’s seat is height adjustable but she could not find a position that allowed her to see comfortably over the dash while having a good interface with the steering wheel and pedals.

I am so very disappointed – she was happy to let me do all the driving but I’d like a break sometimes.

Has anybody else encountered this issue?  If yes, has anyone found a practical solution like pedal blocks or foot stool???  Don’t bother to suggest getting rid of the wife – she is the best and staying!!! (I hope).

Thats too bad. Dont you just hate it when you find something that looks and feels perfect on paper only to have your heart ripped out of you after holding it in your hands and trying it out for yourself!

Best of luck finding an alternative. Too bad more car mfg's dont offer better height adjustments. Maybe she can sit on a pad/booster seat??

The CMax really is best bang for your buck hybrid/Plug In EV car out there with lots of tech and safety and style and FUN all rolled into 1 nice package

Wow, that's interesting.  My own DW is only 5' 4" or so (and shrinking more each day) but has no difficulties with Maximis even set up as I like it.

But... that does beg the question -- did she move the seat FAR forward?  I ask because a lot of folks don't think about this when considering seat height.  It actually is far more comfortable for me (and I'm 5' 10") to keep the set moved very far forward so that my legs are bent.  I read about this once in terms of back pain relief and tried it and have driven that way ever since (it's always a riot because every valet that parks it has to move the seat WAY back and then when I get back in... oh my).

If the seat is far forward she might have to get used to holding the steering wheel a bit differently, but she should find no issue at all with foot pedals (since at the nearest position even Peter Dinklage could reach the pedals).  At the very least she ought to go back and try that.

My wife is 5 ft. She loves driving the CMAX. She can move the seat forward, adjust the seat back and the telescoping steering wheel. She uses a wedge shaped back pillow both driving and as a passenger. As a passenger she moves the seat about halfway and uses the cuss ion behind her back although I believe it was made for sitting on. She has used one of these for every car we have owned. Worth a couple bucks to try it. The CMAX is an amazing fun car. She loves it because while driving she can really see.

Yeah, that sounds more like it.

I'm *really* skeptical that someone 5ft would have any issues at all, so my hunch is:

1) They just didn't adjust the seat far enough forward (and, as you say, they can also adjust the steering wheel) or

2) They are of the female gender. As we all know, there's no possible way to understand women, and for sure there is no way to solve a "problem" they face us with (because they don't want solutions, they just want us to listen).

Now, all seriousness aside, there is some truth to that last one in terms of the C-Max.  It just might be this isn't the car she really wants, and even if she can't quite define what it is she doesn't like about it (and thus uses her height as an excuse, even if subconsciously) there really isn't any way around that.  IOW, a person of almost any size could drive the C-Max just fine IF that was a car that was a car they wanted to drive (like your own wife, rjam).  For someone who doesn't want to drive it... no amount of "fixin'" will do.

The other possibility is the car is just very different than anything she's used to -- I do admit even the much greater visibility worried me at first (didn't know if I'd like driving around in a "fishbowl") and now that seems just a very silly thing to even think about (I miss the visibility when I'm in any other vehicle).  If that's the case, a few more test drives are definitely in order (and perhaps even just renting the car for a week is the best solution -- if you can find one to rent).

We finally found one!! and went to the Oak-Land Ford dealership in Oakville yesterday, ostensibly, to order a new C-Max Energi (and take a test drive).  I had done a ton of research and found this car to be perfect for a retired, active and forward thinking cycling, hiking and xc skiing couple with a crippled Black Lab rescue-dog.  We live in a small town and 98% of our trips are within the Energi’s electric range.  But this magical car has a little ICE tucked away under the hood for our twice a year foray to the big city – two cars in one without extra capital investment, insurance, maintenance, parking space, etc.

A next-gen replacement for our, heretofore ideal, but now beleaguered by dieselgate scandal, Jetta TDI Sportwagen!  

I loved the Energi; it drove surprisingly well although there was a dizzying array of info displayed on the dash.  The standard features were refreshing to see - Ford wasn't going to penny and dime us to death with extra fees for every option like other car makers do. Our sales-rep Mark and the dealership staff were excellent.  The skis fit in with the seats down.  The dog could get up her ramp into the cargo area - even with the larger battery in the plug-in version!  The bike rack will fit on the back hatch but our bikes would fit in the cargo section easily with the wheels off and a blanket between. 

BUT, when it came to my wife's experience - she's a pretty normal 5 feet tall (at the 30th percentile);  the passenger seat has no height adjustment and she felt very uncomfortable with her feet (seemingly) dangling in the air.  The driver’s seat is height adjustable but she could not find a position that allowed her to see comfortably over the dash while having a good interface with the steering wheel and pedals.

I am so very disappointed – she was happy to let me do all the driving but I’d like a break sometimes.

Has anybody else encountered this issue?  If yes, has anyone found a practical solution like pedal blocks or foot stool???  Don’t bother to suggest getting rid of the wife – she is the best and staying!!! (I hope).

My wife is 4'10" and she doesn't mind driving our C-Max Energi. But she much prefers the VW Passat TDI.

This is what Im worried about with my wife (cutie75). Im worried she will find an excuse to not like it (she is already resistant on the "Ford" brand, since she is such a devout Toyota fan after owning her SUV for 17 years now and still going strong). It is very different but I keep telling her its the best choice for her with wanting high MPGs and a high seating position that she loves/is used to from her SUV and with its features and comfort. Time will tell if we end up getting the CMax or not....

Quoted message by Kellytoons:
"Now, all seriousness aside, there is some truth to that last one in terms of the C-Max.  It just might be this isn't the car she really wants, and even if she can't quite define what it is she doesn't like about it (and thus uses her height as an excuse, even if subconsciously) there really isn't any way around that.  IOW, a person of almost any size could drive the C-Max just fine IF that was a car that was a car they wanted to drive (like your own wife, rjam).  For someone who doesn't want to drive it... no amount of "fixin'" will do."
Edited by salsaguy

Steve, because of the comfort/space/luxury feeling in the Passat ? or because of the regular car feeling? or because of the seating position?

Stevedebi said:

"My wife is 4'10" and she doesn't mind driving our C-Max Energi. But she much prefers the VW Passat TDI."

Edited by salsaguy

Steve, because of the comfort/space/luxury feeling in the Passat ? or because of the regular car feeling? or because of the seating position?

Stevedebi said:

"My wife is 4'10" and she doesn't mind driving our C-Max Energi. But she much prefers the VW Passat TDI."

It accelerates like a "bat-out-of-you-know-where" at any speed, and has excellent driving characteristics. The US Passat also has special seats that are considerably wider than other VWs, to accommodate American, um, bottoms. It also turns tighter than our Civic.

Seating position and visibility are not the strong suits. The profile is low and the windows are small compared to the C-Max.

Plus, it gets 42 MPG at 75 MPH.

If there is anything I've learned about women (and there may well not be) it's that no amount of "reason" will do -- they go much more by feelings than most of us of the opposite sex do.  And, of course, "happy wife, happy life".

So if my wife decided she wanted a camel instead of a car I'd be looking to see how we would pasture it during the winter months.  Just saying.