2017 Kia Niro

raadsel

Another review of the Niro on driving.ca.   No new news on the need for more HP, but some interesting photos (12 v battery reset button?).  The reviewer also observes that "However, with its hybrid powertrain — and subsequent 5.4 L/100 km combined fuel economy rating — the Niro separates itself from that pack, instead focusing its gaze at nibbling into the market share of the Toyota Prius V, and to a lesser extent the Ford C-Max hybrid".

When I saw the car at a recent auto show, I heard someone speculate that perhaps what Hyundai/Kia did is replace the 12V battery with a capacitor. His thinking is that it has the 12V reset button because, since the capacitor can't hold the charge for a long period, the button allows the car to be started if the car sits too long, after the capacitor has lost sufficient charge. While I don't believe this is the case, it is an interesting idea; to my knowledge Hyundai/Kia still have not stated how they eliminated the 12V battery.

Edited by raadsel

• 1 month later...

Alex on Autos has come out with his review of the Niro; I thought it was well done but he does waste a fair amount of time talking about what class of car it is and what its competition might be. For the week he had the car he had the base, FE model (50 mpg combined EPA), he averaged 52 mpg. Also, looking at Fuelly now, the 2017 Kia Niro shows an average of 46.6 mpg; if you look at the individual cars, most appear to be at least matching the EPA numbers, if not exceeding them.

He compares the Niro with the C-Max at about the 21 minute mark, if you just want to skip ahead to that part. The C-Max advantage is better acceleration and, for the base models only, better handling -- but he only gives that advantage against the lower Niro trims since he feels the handling on the upper trim, with larger tires, has equal handling to the C-Max. For the Niro, he gives it an advantage in Fuel Economy, Design (because of the age of the C-Max design), Price (C-Max costs more), and value.

Looked at Test Comparison of CMAX and NIRO part and with my experience driving my CMAX, New 2017 CMAX Titanium, NIRO FE,EX and 2 TOURING's, CMAX handles better and has nicer interior.  Top of the line CMAX was cheaper than NIRO TOURING.  CMAX is just more fun to drive period! :)  I didn't see them driving them side by side like I did. :headscratch:

Paul 

I drove behind one today for the first time and what came to mind was it's low profile.  It is not in the same class as the C-Max and reminded me more of the Lexus CT200h from the back (not a real cross-over in my opinion).  Agree with all said about the great value the C-Max represents and am loving the 'head space'.