Custom Search

Welcome to the C-MAX Hybrid Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the C-MAX Hybrid Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Here's some member benefits:
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create photo albums and post images. . .more!
Click here to create an account now

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Hybrid Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo
- - - - -

2017 Kia Niro

• Please log in to reply
150 replies to this topic

#141 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Platinum Member
  • 2,987 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • LocationNewnan, GA
  • My C-MAX's Year:2013
  • My C-MAX's Color:Ingot Silver
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-MAX SEL

Posted 02 April 2017 - 01:26 PM

Interesting that it had 15" and 17" wheels compared to 16" and 18" wheels for the KIA NIRO.    Hyundai Ioniq is really a Prius competitor, not Prius V, CMAX or NIRO.  More aerodynamic, wonder what kind of handling with those small tires. :headscratch: 10 miles is shorter than any of the test I did on NIRO, I don't think it's very accurate.

Paul

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#142 OFFLINE   Plus 3 Golfer

Plus 3 Golfer

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 1,660 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • LocationTN
  • My C-MAX's Color:Oxford White
  • Current Vehicle:2013

Posted 02 April 2017 - 04:33 PM

Interesting that it had 15" and 17" wheels compared to 16" and 18" wheels for the KIA NIRO.    Hyundai Ioniq is really a Prius competitor, not Prius V, CMAX or NIRO.  More aerodynamic, wonder what kind of handling with those small tires. :headscratch: 10 miles is shorter than any of the test I did on NIRO, I don't think it's very accurate.

Paul

IMO, the EPA unadjusted FE tests are as accurate as one is going to get using a dynamometer (assuming inputs are accurate) for comparing FE of similar vehicles.  Below is a comparison from the 2017 EPA data base.  We know that we can get higher and lower fuel economy numbers than even these unadjusted numbers as actual FE depends on conditions and driving style.  I've demonstrated this years ago with the following screenshot of the C-Max for a round trip.  

med_gallery_167_32_1277502.jpg

IMO, we are beating a "dead horse" on comparing the Niro, Ioniq, and C-Max FE.  Given the EPA numbers below and my beating the C-Max unadjusted numbers by about 10 mpg, the 84 mpg, 10 mile trip of the Ioniq is achievable, IMO.

[attachment=2275:EPA comparison.PNG

Attached Files

Edited by Plus 3 Golfer, 02 April 2017 - 06:49 PM.

#143 OFFLINE   raadsel

raadsel

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 486 posts
  • Region:U.S. Mountain
  • LocationHouston, TX
  • My C-MAX's Color:Ice Storm
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max SEL

Posted 02 April 2017 - 11:05 PM

Forgive me for posting another video but this is a former Prius owner who, after his first month and tank, got 64.5 mpg in his Niro LX over 600 miles of driving -- he says the tank wasn't quite completely full when he got it. The main point, though, is that he seems to debunk the claim that the Niro won't go into EV mode above 40 mph -- he talks about having it in EV mode at 70 mph, he shows on camera being in EV on a level freeway at 60 mph, and he states he can easily get it in EV mode at freeway speeds by just letting off the throttle.

#144 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

C-Max Hybrid Member

• 2,987 posts
  • LocationNewnan, GA

Posted 03 April 2017 - 10:41 AM

I watched video and he wasn't maintaining speed, You could see the speedometer going down slowly, don't know if he was going down hill or not. All I know is when I drove the NIRO's they wouldn't maintain speed above 40mph without the ICE coming on. :shrug: Just for a comparison this is what I have done and I averaged 33.2 mph. :)

92616NRec

Paul

Edited by ptjones, 03 April 2017 - 10:41 AM.

#145 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

C-Max Hybrid Member

• 2,987 posts
  • LocationNewnan, GA

Posted 03 April 2017 - 01:43 PM

I have a problem with EPA testing in that it doesn't take into account the way the CMAX was designed to be driven, 2 Bar acceleration technique.  I don't know if this is FORD's fault for not informing EPA how CMAX was designed to be driven or EPA's program can't be changed to accommodate different Hybrid Manufactures driving techniques. :headscratch:  It seems to me the 2 Bar acceleration technique is worth up to 4 mpg. :) IMO

Paul

#146 OFFLINE   Telerisk

Telerisk

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 23 posts
  • LocationTampa, FL
  • My C-MAX's Year:2016
  • My C-MAX's Color:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:2016

Posted 03 April 2017 - 10:32 PM

Would someone provide details as to the 2 Bar acceleration technique....both text and pictures would be great.  I did a search using the string and nothing was found.  

​I love my 2016 C-Max; just wish I could get to the bottom of why on some hands off from EV to ICE at lower speeds I hear a click sounding noise from the right rear cargo area.  What is perplexing, it doesn't make this sound every time....its like an intermittent issue....more difficult to pinpoint and fix.  

#147 OFFLINE   obob

obob

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 490 posts
  • LocationUS
  • My C-MAX's Color:White Platinum
  • Current Vehicle:C-MAX SE

Posted 03 April 2017 - 11:07 PM

Would someone provide details as to the 2 Bar acceleration technique....both text and pictures would be great.  I did a search using the string and nothing was found.  

​I love my 2016 C-Max; just wish I could get to the bottom of why on some hands off from EV to ICE at lower speeds I hear a click sounding noise from the right rear cargo area.  What is perplexing, it doesn't make this sound every time....its like an intermittent issue....more difficult to pinpoint and fix.  

This might be useful:

http://fordcmaxhybri...-2c-ev-driving/

There is a picture with the second bar outlined in red.

The basic idea is to use the electric motor to get up to 10 to 20 mph because the electric motor is more efficient in starting things up from 0, and then use the gas motor to accelerate from there but do not go above the second bar on the Empower screen for a lot of the time that is a very efficient use of the gas motor.

http://fordcmaxhybri...riving/?p=26845

Edited by obob, 03 April 2017 - 11:11 PM.

• ptjones likes this

#148 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

C-Max Hybrid Member

• 2,987 posts
  • LocationNewnan, GA

Posted 04 April 2017 - 10:25 AM

Empower 2bar
 This is what accelerating at 2 Bars looks like.
I have a three part video called How to Drive a CMAX Hybrid/FFH to get Great Gas Mileage,  CMAX Mods to improve efficiency and aerodynamics,  and Hypermiling the CMAX Hybrid/FFH to improve MPG's. I'm hoping to have it on YouTube by this weekend. :)

Paul

Edited by ptjones, 04 April 2017 - 10:27 AM.

• C-MaxSea and Louder North like this

#149 OFFLINE   SnowStorm

SnowStorm

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 700 posts
  • LocationVirginia
  • My C-MAX's Color:White Platinum
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max SE

Posted 05 April 2017 - 10:32 AM

An easy way to get 2 bar acceleration is to set Eco Cruise mode and then set the cruise speed at about 50 mph or higher.  Then after a stop, you accelerate "manually" to just over 20 mph (minimum cruise control speed is 20), tap Resume and the car will accelerate automatically at about 2 bars all the way back to the set speed.  Lower set speeds on the cruise control will give a bit less than 2 bars, higher speeds maybe a bit more.  I do this all the time - super easy and you don't have to think or watch anything.

• ptjones and C-MaxSea like this

#150 OFFLINE   C-MaxSea

C-MaxSea

C-Max Hybrid Member

• 960 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationSeattle, WA USA
  • My C-MAX's Year:Decline
  • My C-MAX's Color:Sterling Gray
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max SEL, 303A, Pano Sunroof, Born Aug 2012

Posted 06 April 2017 - 02:04 PM

.......... and we just drive judiciously in a mild climate .............. :play: :play: :play: .........

our dashboard 'Lifetime' MPG has tanked this winter down to 48.0 (46 at the pump). - now to be saved by spring weather !

Forever driving cautiously &/or spritely as the case dictates,

Nick

(making the case for attitude, as opposed to just aptitude - Ommmmmmmm  ;))

Edited by C-MaxSea, 06 April 2017 - 02:24 PM.

• ptjones likes this

#151 OFFLINE   raadsel

raadsel

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 486 posts
  • Region:U.S. Mountain
  • LocationHouston, TX
  • My C-MAX's Color:Ice Storm
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max SEL

Posted 12 April 2017 - 08:53 AM

Another review of the Niro on driving.ca.   No new news on the need for more HP, but some interesting photos (12 v battery reset button?).  The reviewer also observes that "However, with its hybrid powertrain — and subsequent 5.4 L/100 km combined fuel economy rating — the Niro separates itself from that pack, instead focusing its gaze at nibbling into the market share of the Toyota Prius V, and to a lesser extent the Ford C-Max hybrid".

When I saw the car at a recent auto show, I heard someone speculate that perhaps what Hyundai/Kia did is replace the 12V battery with a capacitor. His thinking is that it has the 12V reset button because, since the capacitor can't hold the charge for a long period, the button allows the car to be started if the car sits too long, after the capacitor has lost sufficient charge. While I don't believe this is the case, it is an interesting idea; to my knowledge Hyundai/Kia still have not stated how they eliminated the 12V battery.

Edited by raadsel, 12 April 2017 - 08:54 AM.

Custom Search

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·