Small Fan Noise

ptjones

I have been hearing a small fan noise like the bearing is going out in the MFT area and I had the electronics person at FORD listen to it. He said their are no fans in MFT and radio. He said their could be a small fan in the climate control system to monitor temp.  I thought I would post this to see if anyone had any ideas.  ;)

Paul

I've never seen the parts or any circuit diagrams but I always figured that was a fan for the on board computer that controls the MFT., because it always seems to be on in my 2013 SEL whether I have "climate" turned on or off.  The only other thing that gets that hot would be an amplifier or bass speaker?  Does this car even have a separate subwoofer?  If it does it must be under one of the seats.

Edited by jestevens

Paul, do you hear the noise with the climate control off?  The humidity and temperature sensor has a fan that should only be powered when the blower motor relay is energized.  Also, you could try pulling fuse F45 which supplies power to the fan. 

In-Vehicle Temperature And Humidity Sensor

The in-vehicle temperature and humidity sensor contains a thermistor and a sensing element which separately measures the in-vehicle air temperature and the humidity, then sends those readings to the HVAC control module to adjust the actuator doors. The in-vehicle temperature and humidity sensor has an electric fan within the sensor that draws in-vehicle air across the two sensing elements. If the vehicle cabin becomes too humid the HVAC control module adjusts the air inlet door to allow more fresh air. When the humidity level drops, it adjusts back to recirculated air. 

Paul, do you hear the noise with the climate control off?  The humidity and temperature sensor has a fan that should only be powered when the blower motor relay is energized.  Also, you could try pulling fuse F45 which supplies power to the fan. 

In-Vehicle Temperature And Humidity Sensor

The in-vehicle temperature and humidity sensor contains a thermistor and a sensing element which separately measures the in-vehicle air temperature and the humidity, then sends those readings to the HVAC control module to adjust the actuator doors. The in-vehicle temperature and humidity sensor has an electric fan within the sensor that draws in-vehicle air across the two sensing elements. If the vehicle cabin becomes too humid the HVAC control module adjusts the air inlet door to allow more fresh air. When the humidity level drops, it adjusts back to recirculated air. 

This fan runs all the time and pulling fuses would isolate witch circuit it is on. When I get a chance I will look at the service manual to see what's in the console. ;) 

Paul 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

A front seat power outlet? I take it that's an SEL option.

Was there something plugged into that outlet? If not, interesting there would be a fan turned on to cool it.

It's the power inverter for 120V on the back of arm rest near the floor. Apparently it runs all the time which seams unnecessary. They have the part, but need time to install it. I will try to take a pic of it when I get it replaced. :) 

Paul 

It's the power inverter for 120V on the back of arm rest near the floor. Apparently it runs all the time which seams unnecessary. They have the part, but need time to install it. I will try to take a pic of it when I get it replaced. :)

Paul 

Ah so the typical location. I figured since you thought it was the MFT that the fan noise was up front in the dash. So is the fan located in the console somewhere near the outlet then?

No it is back from the shifter under center console. :)

Paul 

LOL, you need to get your ears directionally calibrated. It's a pain trying to figure out where noises come from, right?

You should've seen me this weekend banging the dash near my radio controls with my head against it trying to figure out where the rattle was. 

I finally found it and was able to fix it thanks to a youtube video showing how to take everything apart in order.

Here is a pic of CMAX 12v to 110vac inverter that was making fan noise. Unfortunately the new inverter started out making more noise than my old one. One of the fan blades was hitting something and almost stopping, but after a few starts it wore down so it isn't making as much noise, still not right. To make sure I listened to a new Fusion Hybrid and it didn't make any noise so FORD ordered another new one. ;)

Paul

Edited by ptjones

Here is a pic of CMAX 12v to 110vac inverter that was making fan noise. Unfortunately the new inverter started out making more noise than my old one. One of the fan blades was hitting something and almost stopping, but after a few starts it whore down so it isn't making as much noise, still not right.  To make sure I listened to a new Fusion Hybrid and it didn't make any noise so FORD ordered another new one. ;)

Paul

Careful with the language there Paul!  ;)

Well at least it's in the area of the MFT so your ears aren't too bad.  :)

Good job of troubleshooting and diagnosing the issue. I wonder if this will be a common issue going forward for owners. 

Let us know what the part # and normal part cost is if you can get it.

Will do and try to get pics too. :)

Paul

• 3 weeks later...