Custom Search

Welcome to the C-MAX Hybrid Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the C-MAX Hybrid Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Here's some member benefits:
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create photo albums and post images. . .more!
Click here to create an account now

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Hybrid Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo

Pull during regenerative braking?

regenerative braking pull

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   oz10k

oz10k

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 12 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • LocationMid-west
  • My C-MAX's Year:2015
  • Current Vehicle:2006 Focus

Posted 26 February 2016 - 11:51 AM

I recently got a 2015 C-Max Hybrid with a bit over 14,000.  I soon noticed an intermittent pull to the right.  I drive the same route to/from work, so I have a feel for the road grade.

At first I only noticed the pull (always to the right) during low speed braking.  I'm still not sure 100% sure if it's only during regenerative braking.  When it pulls, the steering wheel can move as much as 10 - 20 degrees!

Then I also started to notice that if I'm coasting (at any speed) and go over a bump I'll frequently get a small pull.  I have not yet noticed it pulling during acceleration.

I took the car to the dealer for a Check Engine Light and asked them to look at it.  Their response was that hybrid braking causes a pull.  That doesn't sound right to me.

So, does your call pull during regenerative braking?  If so, how much?

Thanks,

Ron

Attached Files

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   cwstnsko

cwstnsko

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 24 posts
  • Region:Canada Prairie Provinces
  • LocationWinnipeg, Manitoba, Canada
  • Current Vehicle:2015 C-Max Energi, 2014 Focus Electric (in WA)

Posted 26 February 2016 - 01:40 PM

My C-Max does not pull under regenerative braking. One test would be to put the car in Neutral during braking to see if it pulls more, or less.  I don't believe there is any regen when in Neutral.  I use this sometimes to clear the rust from the rotors.

• ptjones and obob like this

#3 OFFLINE   Plus 3 Golfer

Plus 3 Golfer

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 1,719 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • LocationTN
  • My C-MAX's Year:2013
  • Current Vehicle:2013

Posted 26 February 2016 - 03:11 PM

Agree with cwstnsko - no regen in Neutral and no pulling during regen. The Neutral test might tell you something.

I assume the dealer scanned all modules for DTC as they did find a bad purge valve.  

I wonder if the Electronic Power Assist Steering is causing the pull - the fact that going over a bump apparently causes a small pull. The Power Steering Control Module is self monitoring for DTCs and likely doesn't light the CEL if there is an issue that triggers a DTC in the EPAS.   An input from the steering torque sensor (works by measuring the relative rotation between an input and output shaft which are connected by a torsion bar) and vehicle speed are used to determine the amount of steering assist and compensation for road pull that is applied to steering effort.   A slight jolt to the output shaft could perhaps cause a larger than anticipated compensation if the sensor is somewhat faulty.

IMO, if the problem persists, find another dealer and take the SA for a ride and show the SA the issue. 

• ptjones likes this

#4 OFFLINE   oz10k

oz10k

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 12 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • LocationMid-west
  • Current Vehicle:2006 Focus

Posted 26 February 2016 - 03:59 PM

Plus 3 Golfer - thanks for the all knowledge!  I like the idea of asking the SA to for a ride.

cwstnsko - I hadn't thought about putting it in neutral, that's a very good idea.

#5 ONLINE   ptjones

ptjones

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Platinum Member
  • 3,112 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • LocationNewnan, GA
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-MAX SEL

Posted 27 February 2016 - 02:08 PM

I have watched SOC for the HVB when in neutral with my ScanGaugeII, it only goes down, stepping on the brakes has no effect on SOC. ;)

Paul

#6 OFFLINE   livesmith

livesmith

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 78 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationWestern NY
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max Energi with Pano Roof

Posted 01 March 2016 - 12:11 PM

I recently got a 2015 C-Max Hybrid with a bit over 14,000.  I soon noticed an intermittent pull to the right.  I drive the same route to/from work, so I have a feel for the road grade.

At first I only noticed the pull (always to the right) during low speed braking.  I'm still not sure 100% sure if it's only during regenerative braking.  When it pulls, the steering wheel can move as much as 10 - 20 degrees!

Then I also started to notice that if I'm coasting (at any speed) and go over a bump I'll frequently get a small pull.  I have not yet noticed it pulling during acceleration.

I took the car to the dealer for a Check Engine Light and asked them to look at it.  Their response was that hybrid braking causes a pull.  That doesn't sound right to me.

So, does your call pull during regenerative braking?  If so, how much?

Thanks,

Ron

I'm amazed at some of the crud these dealerships try to get away with.  That's completely false.  

Mine doesn't pull under any circumstances other than maybe accelerating to the point of slipping the tires.

Why would hybrid braking make it pull?  Pretty sure you wouldn't want to release a vehicle that pulled every time you slowed down or coasted...

I'd check tire pressures, brakes and suspension components.

#7 ONLINE   ptjones

ptjones

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Platinum Member
  • 3,112 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • LocationNewnan, GA
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-MAX SEL

Posted 02 March 2016 - 09:15 AM

I wonder if the front right brake is working when it shouldn't? Compare the disks surfaces right and left to see if they look the same. ;)

Paul

#8 OFFLINE   RobMax

RobMax

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 158 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationSunnyvale, CA
  • My C-MAX's Year:Decline
  • Current Vehicle:2013 Sterling Gray Metallic C-Max Hybrid SE

Posted 27 March 2016 - 04:48 PM

No pulling during normal braking from any speed here. Hybrid cars, like any other non-hybrid cars, don't normally do that if there aren't any problems. Dealership tech or service writer is an idiot or liar for saying that. Take a look under the car and see if there's anything amiss. Check for a problem with the suspension, braking components, leaking fluid, unevenly worn tire on the side it pulls on, etc. 

#9 OFFLINE   WNY

WNY

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 101 posts
  • LocationCuba, NY
  • Current Vehicle:F150,Mustang, Escape

Posted 27 March 2016 - 04:54 PM

mine doesn't pull at all on re-gen braking.  Bad strut, hanging caliper, rusty rotors, low tire pressure, could be anything with that side that is pulling. 

#10 OFFLINE   Marc Smith

Marc Smith

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Facebook
  • 534 posts
  • LocationNorthern VA
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Hybrid

Posted 29 March 2016 - 10:29 AM

A month later.  no follow up from the OP.  hopefully he's not going around in circles...

• ptjones likes this

Custom Search

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·