2013 C-max- only 28 MPG?!??? Is there an ON BUTTON!

ecogirl2206

mylast tank was 42  with temps in the low 40's and the occasional snow

this current tank about half way through and I'm averageing 47.  but the temps have been in the 50-60's  and limited use of the heater or the defroster(which runs the ac compressor, and sucks battery juice)

going to have a few days in the high 60's this week  so I'm hoping to get into the high 48's  by thursday...

these nice spring day  where you don't have the run heater or the AC  are great for the mpgs...

i did a real long trip to florida last february and averaged 42 for the entire 2500miles.  While the highway milage is not bat,  this car, IMO, was built for the commuter and not the long haul driver.  But it is capable.

take it with baby steps...  try to stretch each tank  further and further.  remember that the speed limit up to 5mph is your freind.   don't try to race to keep up with traffic from the stop light,  coast and anticipate stops so you can get your battery regen.  IE maximize your brake score.

It taks a while to get used to driving a hybrid....  on any given tank, you should have half of your rmiles be EV

• 5 months later...

Just a note it looks like you were driving an old fit, the 2015 and later models have significantly higher fuel economy.  33/41  I bet your average with a new model would be at least 3-4mpg higher putting at 40-41mpg ave. Since i live in a cold climate, i don't think i'll even hit that average. So the Fit really makes more sense in colder climates by my estimation, for someone who doesn't care about "driving experience"--  I just want to haul a ton of stuff and get my dogs to the park! Also the 2016 fit i test drove i preferred to the C-MAx, i LOVED the lane change video, backup camera, visibility, and overall drive feel. I gave that up for the C-Max for higher fuel economy, which was a bad gamble in my case. But I understand most people think the C-Max is a better ride. 

The C-Max has much better sound insulationg so you get less noise on the highway, less road noise. 

I would like to make a small suggestion to improve economy.  When I first drove my C-Max, I would gently drive up to the speed limit after stopping at a stop light or stop sign.  What I found was that this used up most of my electric to drive 1/4 mile up to the speed limit, and then the engine would kick in at the posted speed limit because I had a low reserve of electric.

The trick is to use gas to get up to the speed limit and use the electric after attaining the speed limit.  During the winter, this also helps get the engine warmed up faster, and then turning on the interior heat sooner.

...The trick is to use gas to get up to the speed limit and use the electric after attaining the speed limit. ...

And whenever possible, do this while charging! Don' accelerate quickly to speed; take your time. You'd really like a high SOC when you switch to EV. 

Frank

Now that we are out of winter has MPG improved?

Don't try to hypermile from a stop, accelerate smoothly up to whatever cruising speed you desire, back off the gas slightly and then apply firm steady pressure to the pedal.  On a level piece of ground, the car will go into EV, The whole thing is designed to maximize your ability to coast for as long as possible to get the best mileage. 

Anticipate red lights and adjust your speed accordingly so you can either make the green light or brake smoothly to a stop to maximize regen (but not so much that it irritates the drivers behind you).

Make sure you have low rolling resistance tires on the car, non LRR tires are stickier and defeat the ability of the car to coast.  People seem to say the OEM tires are the best.

You can try using the MyView "Coach" to help you see where you might improve your driving style.

As others have said, it has to warm up the catalytic converter and in the winter also runs the engine to provide cabin heat. 

My winter MPG is around 34MPG, lately with it being super hot on the East Coast my MPGs have been terrible in the afternoon from running the AC compressor hard (again in the 30s but still better than a traditional gas engine car).  

Spring/Fall/Summer mileage is around 41MPG, stock configuration, but I like the "performance" aspect of the car more than some other folks.  Considering that the best gas crossover vehicles get in the mid 20's on the highway I still think I'm doing pretty good and it's enjoyable to drive.

I was once able to get 30MPG out of my HHR (similar to the Vibe) but I had to go on a very flat stretch of highway for a very long time to do so, typical MPG in the HHR was 25MPG.

Edited by jestevens

I drive mostly highway at 70 mph. I get upper 40's to 50 in the summer. Low 40's in the winter. lowest ever was 38mpg with temp below zero. Just hit my best last month 52.6 mpg. This is my drive to work 32 miles at 70 and 1.4 miles on city streets. I have a go pro cam that I record my trips so I have the 52.6 mpg video saved. I would upload it but file too large