Custom Search

Welcome to the C-MAX Hybrid Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the C-MAX Hybrid Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Here's some member benefits:
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create photo albums and post images. . .more!
Click here to create an account now

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Hybrid Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo

2013 C-max- only 28 MPG?!??? Is there an ON BUTTON!

• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Plus 3 Golfer

Plus 3 Golfer

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 1,728 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • LocationTN
  • My C-MAX's Year:2013
  • Current Vehicle:2013

Posted 04 March 2016 - 04:50 PM

Hmmm..I may look into the software update issue. The car was such an amazing deal ($12,500 for 2013 SE with Pano roof, 32K miles, 1 yr bummer to bumper warranty--i thought it was an amazing price) from the dealer because it was a lemon buy-back due to the software issue. The sheet i signed had a list of software updates that had been performed. How do I determine if they were done correctly? All the paperwork I have indicates the problem was fixed...is there a way to verify, or check which software version is currently installed?

Turning the heat OFF I'm getting 33mpg, which i still feel is low, but some people seem to think that's a winter normal mpg, so I don't know. Also, oddly, the vents seem to be mostly closed--black plastic louvers maybe, so i feel like there's nothing left to do, unless people are blocking 100% of the vents?  The car was in California, and its lifetime MPG is 40. 

What was the "lemon" problem? What does the paperwork say was done? Did the car have the "No Start" issue due to the 12 V battery being discharged by a parasitic load on the battery. Ford did issue Field Service Action 15B04 for this issue which addressed several possible causes and updated software. However, this though does not have anything to do with FE.  It does seem that the number / frequency of this issue has declined since this FSA.  

There was a FSA 15B03 for software updates to improve FE, IIRC in 2013.  It included better operation of the shutters and ICE during cold weather.  I believe some had issues with this install in that it didn't install correctly (IIRC, it was something to do with the way the software was downloaded from Ford).  But it's unlikely that this is an issue with your car as there have many many software updates since which would be the latest version (and include previous updates). You can get on etis.ford.com or owner.ford.com and look at any outstanding FSAs items for your car.  The items are removed when the dealer completes the action.  So, if there is nothing showing, then all related items for your car have been completed.

I don't block the upper grille as that is the air intake for the engine.  But some do / have blocked the upper grille so that the intake air is drawn from the engine bay area which should be warmer than the ambient air temperature.    

Also, I doubt the latest Fit would get better FE than the C-Max in the city / suburbs.  Fuelly.com shows the Fit to be around 34 /36 mpg overall.  Fuelly shows the 2013 C-Max is around 39 / 40 mpg. 

• ptjones likes this

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#22 OFFLINE   markd

markd

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 380 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • LocationUnited States
  • My C-MAX's Year:2014
  • Current Vehicle:c-max sel

Posted 04 March 2016 - 06:30 PM

I'm in Indianapolis and have no problem getting mpgs in the 50's during winter. I wouldn't stress about it, you're going to learn how it drives and come next month you should see mpgs in the sixties.

#23 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Platinum Member
  • 3,114 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • LocationNewnan, GA
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-MAX SEL

Posted 07 March 2016 - 11:17 AM

Hi Andrea. I have been in that very scenario.

Biggest issues are likely distance and weather. 

When you set out in the morning, especially if it's cold, your C-Max will fire the engine for a few miles to warm up the heater, get the catalytic converter to operating temperature, and get the hybrid battery to 50% state of charge. If you've already at your destination by the time that's done, then the benefits of a hybrid (e.g. cycling the engine off when not needed) don't really get a chance to kick in...instead, you have essentially just driven your Vibe to the office. For a while I had a very short drive to work and a very similar issue, about 23-24 mpg on my super-short commute. 

The MPG of an ordinary car also suffers in a short-distance cold-weather scenario, BTW. For example, my old 2006 Mazda 3, very similar to your Vibe, got about 18-19 mpg on that same short-cold route. But that's a small portion of your total lifetime driving. My Mazda had a 27.5 MPG lifetime average; my C-Max has a 37.8 MPG lifetime average.

A longer shot: The C-Max was recalled at one point for a software update. If the dealer never did it, mileage will suffer a little (though the car will be a little more enjoyable to drive, frankly). If the dealer tried but failed to properly complete the update, then mileage can suffer a lot (that happened to someone on this forum). Your dealer should be able to check and, if necessary, try re-applying it.

And a parting thought: Someone on this forum is always going to advocate blocking the drill and overinflating the tires, and with all due respect to hypermilers, I will not do those things because I'm certain Ford understands the car better than I do, not vice-versa. I would, however, keep the tires inflated to the pressures stated on the panel inside the driver's door frame (low tire pressure will cost you a bit of MPG).

P.S. The hybrid system also means you have a lot of torque, which is fun when it's dry but can lead to needlessly triggering the traction control when it's icy (which brakes the slipping wheel). But it sounds like you're savvy and know to baby the throttle in winter anyway.

Just to set the story straight: HotPotato said  " I'm certain Ford understands the car better than I do, not vice-versa. "  ‚Äč FORD did try to block the radiator with Temperature Controlled Shutters, but they don't work very well.  That is why I came up with Grill Covers, which allows the ICE to heat up faster,  retain heat and run more efficient.(Improve MPG's) BTW  We have been using these Grill Covers for 3 1/2 years, 129k miles still getting great MPG's and using no oil. :)

Paul

#24 OFFLINE   ecogirl2206

ecogirl2206

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 8 posts
  • LocationChicago
  • Current Vehicle:C Max Hybrid 2013

Posted 07 March 2016 - 11:31 AM

I will check out the dealer paperwork tonight, thanks for the additional info about software updates. It was a lemon b/c of the software problems, that's all I got from the dealer. But he said it was all fixed. Also ,the car's MPG lifetime average is over 40 mpg (from California) I think that is pretty normal, not sure though.

I drove  around 350 miles this weekend chi to mke, mke to madison back to mke, back to chi. 95% highway going 65mph in eco cruise 90% of the time. It was pretty warm (30-45 degrees!) The average MPG went up to 39.8 mpg. So at least on the highway I can get decent mpgs :) I'll be driving 450 miles this week for work and its supposed to be crazy warm 50's or even 60's so I can't wait to see the highway MPGs i get!

I guess the 28 mpg is just due to very short trips and cold weather. Not much to do except bank on global warming (j/k).

• C-MaxSea likes this

#25 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

C-Max Hybrid Member

• 3,114 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • LocationNewnan, GA
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-MAX SEL

Posted 07 March 2016 - 02:01 PM

I will check out the dealer paperwork tonight, thanks for the additional info about software updates. It was a lemon b/c of the software problems, that's all I got from the dealer. But he said it was all fixed. Also ,the car's MPG lifetime average is over 40 mpg (from California) I think that is pretty normal, not sure though.

I drove  around 350 miles this weekend chi to mke, mke to madison back to mke, back to chi. 95% highway going 65mph in eco cruise 90% of the time. It was pretty warm (30-45 degrees!) The average MPG went up to 39.8 mpg. So at least on the highway I can get decent mpgs :) I'll be driving 450 miles this week for work and its supposed to be crazy warm 50's or even 60's so I can't wait to see the highway MPGs i get!

I guess the 28 mpg is just due to very short trips and cold weather. Not much to do except bank on global warming (j/k).

When temps hit 70*F you should expect about 4+ MPG's :)

Paul

#26 OFFLINE   Marc Smith

Marc Smith

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Facebook
  • 534 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationNorthern VA
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Hybrid

Posted 07 March 2016 - 02:14 PM

mylast tank was 42  with temps in the low 40's and the occasional snow

this current tank about half way through and I'm averageing 47.  but the temps have been in the 50-60's  and limited use of the heater or the defroster(which runs the ac compressor, and sucks battery juice)

going to have a few days in the high 60's this week  so I'm hoping to get into the high 48's  by thursday...

these nice spring day  where you don't have the run heater or the AC  are great for the mpgs...

i did a real long trip to florida last february and averaged 42 for the entire 2500miles.  While the highway milage is not bat,  this car, IMO, was built for the commuter and not the long haul driver.  But it is capable.

take it with baby steps...  try to stretch each tank  further and further.  remember that the speed limit up to 5mph is your freind.   don't try to race to keep up with traffic from the stop light,  coast and anticipate stops so you can get your battery regen.  IE maximize your brake score.

It taks a while to get used to driving a hybrid....  on any given tank, you should have half of your rmiles be EV

#27 OFFLINE   jackalopetx

jackalopetx

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 107 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Plains
  • LocationAustin, TX
  • My C-MAX's Year:2016
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max

Posted 25 August 2016 - 07:51 AM

Just a note it looks like you were driving an old fit, the 2015 and later models have significantly higher fuel economy.  33/41  I bet your average with a new model would be at least 3-4mpg higher putting at 40-41mpg ave. Since i live in a cold climate, i don't think i'll even hit that average. So the Fit really makes more sense in colder climates by my estimation, for someone who doesn't care about "driving experience"--  I just want to haul a ton of stuff and get my dogs to the park! Also the 2016 fit i test drove i preferred to the C-MAx, i LOVED the lane change video, backup camera, visibility, and overall drive feel. I gave that up for the C-Max for higher fuel economy, which was a bad gamble in my case. But I understand most people think the C-Max is a better ride. 

The C-Max has much better sound insulationg so you get less noise on the highway, less road noise. 

#28 OFFLINE   mightydog

mightydog

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 61 posts

Posted 27 August 2016 - 09:04 PM

The C-Max has much better sound insulationg so you get less noise on the highway, less road noise. 

I agree it is very quite

#29 OFFLINE   joe

joe

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 196 posts
  • Locationvirginia
  • Current Vehicle:2013 c-max sel

Posted 29 August 2016 - 03:06 PM

I would like to make a small suggestion to improve economy.  When I first drove my C-Max, I would gently drive up to the speed limit after stopping at a stop light or stop sign.  What I found was that this used up most of my electric to drive 1/4 mile up to the speed limit, and then the engine would kick in at the posted speed limit because I had a low reserve of electric.

The trick is to use gas to get up to the speed limit and use the electric after attaining the speed limit.  During the winter, this also helps get the engine warmed up faster, and then turning on the interior heat sooner.

#30 OFFLINE   fbov

fbov

C-Max Hybrid Member

• 1,315 posts
  • LocationRochester, NY
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Hybrid

Posted 30 August 2016 - 12:16 AM

...The trick is to use gas to get up to the speed limit and use the electric after attaining the speed limit. ...

And whenever possible, do this while charging! Don' accelerate quickly to speed; take your time. You'd really like a high SOC when you switch to EV. 

Frank

#31 OFFLINE   jestevens

jestevens

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 147 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania
  • Current Vehicle:C-MAX SEL Hybrid

Posted 30 August 2016 - 07:47 AM

Now that we are out of winter has MPG improved?

Don't try to hypermile from a stop, accelerate smoothly up to whatever cruising speed you desire, back off the gas slightly and then apply firm steady pressure to the pedal.  On a level piece of ground, the car will go into EV, The whole thing is designed to maximize your ability to coast for as long as possible to get the best mileage. 

Anticipate red lights and adjust your speed accordingly so you can either make the green light or brake smoothly to a stop to maximize regen (but not so much that it irritates the drivers behind you).

Make sure you have low rolling resistance tires on the car, non LRR tires are stickier and defeat the ability of the car to coast.  People seem to say the OEM tires are the best.

You can try using the MyView "Coach" to help you see where you might improve your driving style.

As others have said, it has to warm up the catalytic converter and in the winter also runs the engine to provide cabin heat. 

My winter MPG is around 34MPG, lately with it being super hot on the East Coast my MPGs have been terrible in the afternoon from running the AC compressor hard (again in the 30s but still better than a traditional gas engine car).  

Spring/Fall/Summer mileage is around 41MPG, stock configuration, but I like the "performance" aspect of the car more than some other folks.  Considering that the best gas crossover vehicles get in the mid 20's on the highway I still think I'm doing pretty good and it's enjoyable to drive.

I was once able to get 30MPG out of my HHR (similar to the Vibe) but I had to go on a very flat stretch of highway for a very long time to do so, typical MPG in the HHR was 25MPG.

Edited by jestevens, 30 August 2016 - 07:51 AM.

#32 OFFLINE   JohnnOhio

JohnnOhio

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 490 posts
  • LocationOhio
  • Current Vehicle:C Max SEL and GMC Canyon and 1956 Ford 860 tractor

Posted 05 September 2016 - 06:27 PM

I drive mostly highway at 70 mph. I get upper 40's to 50 in the summer. Low 40's in the winter. lowest ever was 38mpg with temp below zero. Just hit my best last month 52.6 mpg. This is my drive to work 32 miles at 70 and 1.4 miles on city streets. I have a go pro cam that I record my trips so I have the 52.6 mpg video saved. I would upload it but file too large

• ptjones likes this

#33 OFFLINE   markd

markd

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 380 posts
  • LocationUnited States
  • My C-MAX's Year:2014
  • Current Vehicle:c-max sel

Posted 05 September 2016 - 07:09 PM

YouTube it John.