Just bought a used 2013 C-Max Energi SEL

Juhuti

I had been driving a 2015 Ford C-Max Hybrid SE (company car) and was very impressed.  So I bought a used 2013 Ford C-Max Energi SEL.  Note: it was advertised as a Hyrbid SEL but I'm ok with it being a plugin. One thing I've noticed is that the ICE acceleration on the 2015 seems to be much smother than the acceleration on the 2013.  Is this a difference between the Hybrid and the Energi models? Or is something off with the 2013?

So far so good.  Really enjoying the ride.

Juhuti, what do you mean by "smoother" in terms of acceleration? How are you determining "smoothness"?  ICE rpm?  How many miles on both cars?

The only physical differences that might affect acceleration that I'm aware of is that the Energi has a numerically higher final drive ratio than the Hybrid and weighs about 360 pounds more that the Hybrid. 

The 2013 seems to accelerate quicker and the transition between EV and ICE is smoother. It's very subjective but it's what I've noticed.

I had a 2015 SEL hybrid and now have a new 2015 SEL hybrid. The acceleration and smoothness are absolutely real. The 2015 is quieter and quicker or so it seems. I have looked on this forum and the Ford site to see if there was a different ICE but had no luck. My 2013 was purchased with 28K when I bought it and 51K when I traded it on the 2015 SEL. I thought it may have been because it was new. There is a definite difference. Glad you asked because I still have no a sere but now I am not the only one wondering!

Both great cars!

Edited by rjam

We had a 2013 SEL 302A for ~30K miles - now have a 2015 SEL 302A

Differences I can remember:  The 2015 seems to be a little smoother riding, but that could be due to the new tires and new suspension.  Otherwise, the driving experience seems identical.  There are a few differences in the menus/displays, the HVAC vents look a little different, there is some sort of integral mud flap and mini wind deflectors on the back glass.  There might be a slight difference in the weatherstripping under the hood.  The fuel filler is definitely different (we had frequent error messages about that on the '13 - they would clear after a couple days, and so never quite got around to doing anything about it).  There is some sort of netting on the front passenger side of the center console - maybe for a cell phone?  The owner's manual/oil filler cap calls for 0W-20, not 5W-20 oil.

My 2014 Energi is still in the shop (I haven't driven it yet), so can someone tell me where the charging cable should be?  Also, I need to get a new canister of the tire sealant as the previous owner used it up- where can I get that?

The charging cable is more or less "under" the driver's seat. Go to the back seat on the driver's side and there is a cover you can lift off the floor for a small storage area that stores the cable.

You can also find a digital version of the owner's manual here.

Edited by raadsel

Also, I need to get a new canister of the tire sealant as the previous owner used it up- where can I get that?

Would strongly suggest getting a "normal" can of tire sealant - available anywhere, much cheaper and no danger of using the wrong hose and shooting sealant into a tire when you only want air (like I did!).

My 2014 Energi is still in the shop (I haven't driven it yet), so can someone tell me where the charging cable should be?  Also, I need to get a new canister of the tire sealant as the previous owner used it up- where can I get that?

You know this is a C-Max Hybrid forum? You might get better results on the Energi forum.

http://fordcmaxenergiforum.com/

I strongly recommend that you purchase a tire repair kit rather than using the can. That spray stuff WILL kill your TPMS sensors if you use it. Buy a small set of pliers at the same time to remove any nails. With less than 20 bucks or so, you can repair any normal tire problems.

I had a 2015 SEL hybrid and now have a new 2015 SEL hybrid. The acceleration and smoothness are absolutely real. The 2015 is quieter and quicker or so it seems. I have looked on this forum and the Ford site to see if there was a different ICE but had no luck. My 2013 was purchased with 28K when I bought it and 51K when I traded it on the 2015 SEL. I thought it may have been because it was new. There is a definite difference. Glad you asked because I still have no a sere but now I am not the only one wondering!

Both great cars!

Thanks. I hoped it wasn't just me who noticed it.

Edited by Juhuti

• 1 year later...