Custom Search

Welcome to the C-MAX Hybrid Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the C-MAX Hybrid Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Here's some member benefits:
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create photo albums and post images. . .more!
Click here to create an account now

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Hybrid Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo

Accessory power tap / fuse

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   cheapjeep2

cheapjeep2

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 9 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • LocationAtlanta
  • My C-MAX's Year:2013
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max

Posted 19 March 2016 - 09:25 PM

I am installing some electronics that I want to turn off / on with the ignition / accessories.  I need a place tap power from.  Can anyone recommend a fuse location or a place where I can tap into a 12 v power source that is not continually on?

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   WNY

WNY

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 101 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationCuba, NY
  • Current Vehicle:F150,Mustang, Escape

Posted 20 March 2016 - 04:15 PM

should be some spare taps in the fuse box under the hood or in the foot well that turn off with the ignition.

#3 OFFLINE   Plus 3 Golfer

Plus 3 Golfer

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 1,730 posts
  • LocationTN
  • Current Vehicle:2013

Posted 20 March 2016 - 05:55 PM

These fuses are hot with the Ignition Relay energized: F14, F16, F19, F23, F26, F85, F86.

Attached File  Hot with Ingnition Relay On.PNG   46.29KB   5 downloads

• obob likes this

#4 OFFLINE   jackalopetx

jackalopetx

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 107 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Plains
  • LocationAustin, TX
  • My C-MAX's Year:2016

Posted 02 August 2017 - 02:48 PM

I have a related question-- I need a power source for a dash camera but I want constant power even with ignition turned off. Can I tap the fuse box for that? 

#5 OFFLINE   Plus 3 Golfer

Plus 3 Golfer

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 1,730 posts
  • LocationTN

Posted 02 August 2017 - 05:30 PM

I have a related question-- I need a power source for a dash camera but I want constant power even with ignition turned off. Can I tap the fuse box for that? 

In the footwell under the glove box is the BCM fuses.  F58 and F63 should be spare slots (may have a fuse in it but not used) where one side is hot at all times (test with volt meter).  Then, find a fuse tap to plug in the spare slot.  

I assume you want "hot all the time" to run the cam in park mode.  One word of caution: the C-Max 12 volt battery has a reserve capacity of only 60 minutes which converts to about 25 Ah.   Most car batteries are around 100+ minutes which equates to about a 42+ Ah.  So, the cam draw in park mode and the potential recording draw when parked could be enough to drain the C-Max battery if you don't start the car for several days.

For example, if your park mode draw averages around 500 mA, you should be able to go around 70+ hours based on typical battery discharge curves before the battery discharges to about a 50% level.  So, try to find a camera with very low power requirements in park mode.  We are still not sure how low the C-Max battery can discharge before the car won't start (operate the modules and relays to connect the HVB to the DC/DC converter).  If it is down to say 10 % state of charge, you could probably go a week. 

Edited by Plus 3 Golfer, 03 August 2017 - 05:40 AM.

#6 OFFLINE   jackalopetx

jackalopetx

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 107 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Plains
  • LocationAustin, TX
  • My C-MAX's Year:2016

Posted 04 August 2017 - 08:18 AM

In the footwell under the glove box is the BCM fuses.  F58 and F63 should be spare slots (may have a fuse in it but not used) where one side is hot at all times (test with volt meter).  Then, find a fuse tap to plug in the spare slot.  

I assume you want "hot all the time" to run the cam in park mode.  One word of caution: the C-Max 12 volt battery has a reserve capacity of only 60 minutes which converts to about 25 Ah.   Most car batteries are around 100+ minutes which equates to about a 42+ Ah.  So, the cam draw in park mode and the potential recording draw when parked could be enough to drain the C-Max battery if you don't start the car for several days.

For example, if your park mode draw averages around 500 mA, you should be able to go around 70+ hours based on typical battery discharge curves before the battery discharges to about a 50% level.  So, try to find a camera with very low power requirements in park mode.  We are still not sure how low the C-Max battery can discharge before the car won't start (operate the modules and relays to connect the HVB to the DC/DC converter).  If it is down to say 10 % state of charge, you could probably go a week. 

Thanks. Is there a specific type of fuse tap to use or are they all the same? Do you get + and - off the same fuse, or do you just get power and ground to another one?

#7 OFFLINE   obob

obob

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 528 posts
  • LocationUS
  • Current Vehicle:C-MAX SE

Posted 04 August 2017 - 09:13 AM

These fuses are hot with the Ignition Relay energized: F14, F16, F19, F23, F26, F85, F86.

attachicon.gifHot with Ingnition Relay On.PNG

Thanks.  What a time saver.  I emailed the info to myself to double down on not losing it.  

#8 OFFLINE   Plus 3 Golfer

Plus 3 Golfer

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 1,730 posts
  • LocationTN

Posted 04 August 2017 - 12:12 PM

Thanks. Is there a specific type of fuse tap to use or are they all the same? Do you get + and - off the same fuse, or do you just get power and ground to another one?

A fuse tap simply plugs into the existing fuse slot.  The fuse that was in the fuse slot plugs into the fuse tap.  There is also a wire off the load side of the fuse tap.  Thus, you have a positve wire lead to connect to the camera.  

You will also need to find a good ground point.  There should be a ground point around the lower right hand A-pillar. You may have to remove a panel to get to it.  Look for a larger black-white wire maybe bolted to a stud in the area.  Also, you should be able to use any part of the frame as a good ground you can find near the BCM fuses.

• obob likes this

Custom Search

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·