I have 2 C-Max Hybrids now

RobMax

My wife thought I was nuts, but I recently bought a Sterling Gray Metallic SE Hybrid for myself. My old, 180k mile, 97 beater Saturn SL1 has oil in the coolant overflow tank so I very likely either have a blown head gasket, or a cracked head at the cam journal on the last cylinder. Either problem is pretty common. I'll be tearing into it when the weather gets warmer to diagnose and repair, but in the meantime, I needed a reliable new beater to get me the 80 miles in SF Bay Area stop and go traffic.

I looked for 3 weeks and found a good CPO (certified pre-owned) example at Frontier Ford for $16k with 42k miles. CPO is great since it's for 12mo/12k miles bumper to bumper, and another 4 years and 58k miles for powertrain warranty. Plus, since the car was sold in CA it has the 10yr/150k mile hybrid battery warranty (a CA state requirement).

Thus far, I'm averaging over 47mpg according to the readout, but I have yet to actually do a gas pump calculation to verify its accuracy. All recalls were already completed, though I forgot to ask them to ensure all modules were updated with the correct firmware. I'll have them do that when I take it in for my 10k mile free oil change. 

One thing I found odd when I attempted to play mp3 music thru the usb port on my thumb drive using the standard Sync (non MFT):  I couldn't get to any center screen option that showed the USB port or options, but I finally figured out I could say the "USB" and "play all" verbal commands after toggling the steering wheel's lower right Sync button. Unsure if I just need a Sync update, or if that's normal, as I've never used my wife's USB port in her 2014 either.

Edited by RobMax

Hmm, we have a bunch of SE's at work - I think if you hit the MEDIA button on the stock radio USB should show up as a option as long as it recognizes the USB stick you have plugged into the hub in the armrest compartment.  You can choose the options on the tabs by pressing one of the soft keys - which are the weird keys that just have lines on them - they are supposed to correspond to the tabs that are shown on the bottom of the small LCD, since it's not a touch screen you have to press the soft key buttons instead - or like you I just use voice activated sync to say "USB" or "Bluetooth Audio"

Why did your wife question your judgment?  Does she not like her own C-Max?  If so, then she should understand completely why you'd want one for yourself.

I'm in the opposite situation -- my wife is driving our old Durango which, while it's a 2000 and has around 180K on it as well, isn't what I'd categorize as a beater.  I mean, it isn't worth anything at all via Blue Book, but the interior and exterior are still perfect, and it runs just fine.  I'm hoping to get another 20 or 30K out of it (which, with my wife driving, will last another 10 years.  I can even get that much more mileage out of the practically brand new tires).  But if anything happened that made me decide we had to get out of it, I'd consider a used C-Max in a heartbeat (my wife would love it).

In fact, I'm sure I'll get another new one in three years regardless -- although the Durango is a tank and I feel a whole lot safer with my wife inside of that, I still want to end up with two hybrids.  Just hope they are still making them at that time.

My wife thought I was going to get a BMW 335i since I'm a speed freak and they still get decent mileage. I just love the C-Max seating position, ease of entry/exit, IP configuration, and fact I'm not burning gas while coasting or stuck in traffic. I just wish it had a bit more rear cargo storage, but the fold-flat seats work well enough for hauling if needed. I've taken many a trip to the Point Reyes Station area to support some cell sites I help manage, and the car handles awesome. 

There's no option for USB at all on any menu, including the 'line options' I'm familiar with (especially for phone operation). MP3s work fine via the Sync commands though. Unfortunately there's no pause button available on that screen, though the center screen does show the artist and song info. Figure I'll ask about any possible updates during the first oil change. I was also surprised to find the stock 2013 stereo differs slightly even with the left side 'hard buttons' than my wife's 2014 version. I I have an "AUX" button, but my wife has a "MEDIA" button. Owner's manuals in both correspond to the stereos in each too, so I know I'm dealing with the correct stereo in the car. 

Do you see a MENU button, Rob? If you do, you should be able to press it to get into the SYNC -MEDIA menu. You'll want to do the following to get to USB: 

MENU > SYNC-MEDIA > OK > Down arrow to SELECT SOURCE > OK

You should then see USB listed as a source. Give it a try and let me know how it goes. 

Rebecca

Hi, Rebecca. Before I forget, I'm wondering if you can run an OASIS REPORT on my VIN so I can see what work might've been done.

VIN is 1FADP5AU1DL524053.

And to answer your question above, no, the MENU button gets me to only these choices:

Radio...

Audio Settings

Clock Settings

Display Settings

Oddly enough once I was able to use the Sync voice activation to say "USB" then "play all" I was then able to automatically pull up the SYNC-Media option by hitting the AUX button. That didn't the first time I tried it. Anyway, since AUX brings it up now, I have no issues at all.

Related story:

I had an odd dash rattle behind all the stereo controls that I fixed today. It was a pain constantly hitting every bump in the road and hearing a metallic-type rattle.

I used this video someone was nice enough to make:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PLkZuCt1d9oOnce

Once I removed the screen 'hood' I was able to get the screen and the tray piece out of the way to then take the entire vent and stereo controls assembly out. I then discovered the stereo was just sitting loosely in the dash tray. The stereo should've been secured with 2 screws to keep it from rattling around in the  try. I removed the stereo and discovered the CD mechanism also made some noise in the case so I fixed that, found 2 screws that fit, reassembled everything, and cured my dash rattle.

Since the stereo screws were missing I get the feeling the stereo was replaced (possibly under the guise of the 12V problems some owners experienced), and I'm now wondering if the stereo now in the car isn't the actual C-Max stereo that should be in it. Everything works, but it sure confused me at first.

Edited by RobMax

Hey  RobMax,

Perfect! I was going to suggest the AUX button. Glad you figured it out. :)

My team handles SYNC questions and concerns only. Please reach out to my Ford Service counterparts for all other inquires by:

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/FordServiceUS  

Twitter: https://twitter.com/fordservice  

Phone: 1-800-392-FORD

Shaay