Cooling Motor Pump

Singoffpitch

My cooling motor pump went out on my 2013 C-Max Hybrid last week. I have 86,000 miles on the car, but even though they said the pump is specific to the hybrid engine, the repair wasn't covered under the 100,000 mile warranty on the car. Today, my check engine light came on again and my heat stopped working. I'm waiting to hear what today's problem will be and if it will be covered under warranty. Has anyone else had the cooling pump go out? Why isn't this part of our warranty? I've been patient about the hundreds of repairs and recalls and issues with this car, but not when the warranty no longer covers repairs during the warranty period.

My cooling motor pump went out on my 2013 C-Max Hybrid last week. I have 86,000 miles on the car, but even though they said the pump is specific to the hybrid engine, the repair wasn't covered under the 100,000 mile warranty on the car. Today, my check engine light came on again and my heat stopped working. I'm waiting to hear what today's problem will be and if it will be covered under warranty. Has anyone else had the cooling pump go out? Why isn't this part of our warranty? I've been patient about the hundreds of repairs and recalls and issues with this car, but not when the warranty no longer covers repairs during the warranty period.

Similar to issues we had with the old Escape hybrid. There are parts that are not on any other non-hybrid, but they don't fall under the Fed hybrid warranty.

The Motor Electronics Cooling System pump is not listed as a covered item under the extended coverage Hybrid / Electric Unique Component Coverage warranty. It's that simple.  It's probably covered under the 5/60 power train warranty which lists water pump as covered. 

You'll have to ask Ford why it is not listed. BTW, the heat exchanger (radiator) for the MECS is not listed either.  There are likely many parts that are unique to the Hybrid that are not listed and hence not covered by the unique coverage warranty.

Thanks. It wasn't the water pump 

Sounds like they didn't fix your water pump problem. ;)  131k mi. and no water pump problems, I did extend my warranty to 132K and it won't be long before I'm over it. ;)

Paul

It wasn't the water pump. They said it was a cooling motor pump specific to the hybrid and different from a water pump. They fixed that problem. I have the extended 125,000 warranty that I paid extra for, but I thought all hybrid things were covered under the original warranty until 100,000 miles.

The Motor Electronics Cooling System pump is not listed as a covered item under the extended coverage Hybrid / Electric Unique Component Coverage warranty. It's that simple.  It's probably covered under the 5/60 power train warranty which lists water pump as covered. 

You'll have to ask Ford why it is not listed. BTW, the heat exchanger (radiator) for the MECS is not listed either.  There are likely many parts that are unique to the Hybrid that are not listed and hence not covered by the unique coverage warranty.

Thanks. It's frustrating that they pick and choose which hybrid parts to cover. Luckily, I had purchased the extended warranty for my car and the pump was covered under that. I had to pay the $100 deductible for the warranty repair, but the rest was covered. I've had SO many issues with this car.  :(  I haven't heard from the dealership yet today about what caused the engine light to go on this morning. The pump was a different warning light, so it's probably not the same thing. I haven't seen the engine light for a few thousand miles, so I guess it was due again. 

Similar to issues we had with the old Escape hybrid. There are parts that are not on any other non-hybrid, but they don't fall under the Fed hybrid warranty.

When I googled the issue, I saw that the same part had been recalled on older Ford hybrids, but not the C-Max hybrids. My last 4 major issues on my car have all ended up having recalls issued a month or so after my car had the issue, so maybe Ford will end up recalling the pump on the C-Max, too. 

As someone who replaced the MECS pump on his own FEH, I'm curious what the part # and location is for the part you mentioned that was replaced.

My service slips are all in the glove box of my car, which is currently in the shop for an unknown number of days... When I get it back, I will look it up and let you know!

When I googled the issue, I saw that the same part had been recalled on older Ford hybrids, but not the C-Max hybrids. My last 4 major issues on my car have all ended up having recalls issued a month or so after my car had the issue, so maybe Ford will end up recalling the pump on the C-Max, too. 

Yep, the good old MCES. I had one replaced on my Escape hybrid. I also had the extended warranty. Later on I believe they recalled the design, but I may be thinking of the electric steering problem with the FEH.

Both were scary, causing the vehicle to either just stop dead on the highway (MCES), or just top steering in the middle of a turn (electric steering). And both happened to me!

The other thing the FEH had was some kind of special pump on the brakes. That was a 4K repair for a part that was only on the hybrid, yet it was not under the Fed warranty.

My service slips are all in the glove box of my car, which is currently in the shop for an unknown number of days... When I get it back, I will look it up and let you know!

Ah, thank you. I suppose I'll eventually look at how everything is run, and to/from where on the C-Max, but figured it would be like the FEH I owned before. 

Yep, the good old MCES. I had one replaced on my Escape hybrid. I also had the extended warranty. Later on I believe they recalled the design, but I may be thinking of the electric steering problem with the FEH.

Both were scary, causing the vehicle to either just stop dead on the highway (MCES), or just top steering in the middle of a turn (electric steering). And both happened to me!

The other thing the FEH had was some kind of special pump on the brakes. That was a 4K repair for a part that was only on the hybrid, yet it was not under the Fed warranty.

Yeah, I had the 12V low voltage issue on mine (old battery that needed replaced) that caused a slew of other DTCs that triggered the SSN warning on mine when I was on the highway. Luckily I was able to get over during rush hour and let it sit awhile before restarting and continuing home.

When I did the research on the 12V problem causing the SSN, I figured I'd look at, and resolve, the other causes like the MECS pump and the rear blend door actuator (2008), so I bought those parts and replaced them myself.

Ah, thank you. I suppose I'll eventually look at how everything is run, and to/from where on the C-Max, but figured it would be like the FEH I owned before. 

Yeah, I had the 12V low voltage issue on mine (old battery that needed replaced) that caused a slew of other DTCs that triggered the SSN warning on mine when I was on the highway. Luckily I was able to get over during rush hour and let it sit awhile before restarting and continuing home.

When I did the research on the 12V problem causing the SSN, I figured I'd look at, and resolve, the other causes like the MECS pump and the rear blend door actuator (2008), so I bought those parts and replaced them myself.

Yes, I had the blend door problem as well.