MFT rebooted this morning, while i was driving

I started the car as normal this morning, and set off. the stereo was not playing and the screen displayed "Building List"  then the whole system shut down.  the "8" screen and the right side of the speedo cluster went dark.  the MyFordTOuch emblem came on the screen then it said it was doing scheduled maintenace.  took about 2 minutes, then the system came back up and some of the settings in the drive menus and the radio and nav were all set to different choice.  I assume they are the default, even though I was not sure what they were.  Anyone experience this?  how often? and did this occur because ford pushed an update?  or is this just what happens during a system failure?

I started the car as normal this morning, and set off. the stereo was not playing and the screen displayed "Building List"  then the whole system shut down.  the "8" screen and the right side of the speedo cluster went dark.  the MyFordTOuch emblem came on the screen then it said it was doing scheduled maintenace.  took about 2 minutes, then the system came back up and some of the settings in the drive menus and the radio and nav were all set to different choice.  I assume they are the default, even though I was not sure what they were.  Anyone experience this?  how often? and did this occur because ford pushed an update?  or is this just what happens during a system failure?

I've heard of this happening a lot on other vehicles.  When it encounters some kind of fault it will do a scheduled maintenance.  Ford cannot push updates, they have to be done via USB.

This happened to me once, logged on to syncmyride.com and downloaded the latest version. I have not seen it since.

Our system did that today (day two of having the car).  Actually it froze first and we turned off the car and then started it up again, took out the SD car and put it back in, and still frozen.  I then disconnected our IPOD with 4000 songs and it came on saying it was doing scheduled maintenance.  Everything seemed tickety boo after.  I figured the IPOD was just too much data.

Sorry, I didn't realize there would be a difference in that.  I thought it was part of MFT/Sync/MFM...

I think we both learned something, because I didn't know the Energi had a 3g modem!

Our system did that today (day two of having the car).  Actually it froze first and we turned off the car and then started it up again, took out the SD car and put it back in, and still frozen.  I then disconnected our IPOD with 4000 songs and it came on saying it was doing scheduled maintenance.  Everything seemed tickety boo after.  I figured the IPOD was just too much data.

This seems to be (at least in my perusing of forums) to be more common when people have media that they are indexing.  I was driving around the other day with the navigation and it tells you what kind of services (e.g. gas, food) there are at every freeway exit that I come across.  I had music on, my phone paired, the climate system on.  Plus I was using voice commands.  I'm not saying the system shouldn't be able to handle all that stuff, I'm just saying that it can do a lot of work all simultaneously.

Edited by zhackwyatt

Mike ignore my question as I just read about all your Ipod troubles.  I read somewhere about a Sync support phone number.  Can they help you?  I am sorry for all your frustration.  We did get the system freezing after we hooked up our 160 GB Ipod and then I unplugged it and things seemed okay. It has over 4000 songs on it and it seemed to work fine after the big brain freeze when it downloaded.   I am not one that is very dependent on my Ipod so it doesn't really matter to me if it doesn't work down the road.  Sirius in new to me and I am enjoying it.  But my husband would be like you and be pretty miffed and would be like a dog with a bone until he got the issues resolved.  Good luck.  I just found the number 1-888-270-1055 Sync Support for the USA --Monday-Saturday 8:30 to 8 PM EST. If you speak with, ask them if there is a way to back up all your Sync data so you don't lose your stored info. when doing a master re-set. 

Edited by Laurel

Before you hook up an iPod or other similar media device, make sure the firmware on the iPod is up to date (through iTunes).    The same goes for cell phones.

Also, if you have any problems, reboot the iPod (and cell phones) about once a week, which means fully powering down your device.  This clears out garbage from the device and then it will play better with other systems like MyFordTouch.

Another good thing to do is run SyncMyiTunes on your music database.  This makes sure all the metadata is cleaned up so Sync can recognize it.  If you don't, Sync may have a hard time indexing the music.  SyncmyiTunes is at:   sync-my-iTunes.software.informer.com/

Edited by Maximus

Another thing I found that sounds like a good idea is, once your phone book is downloaded to the car, turn off the Auto Phonebook feature.   This will speed things up, otherwise each time you start the car, the system will check your phone to see if any changes have been made on the phonebook database

Mike ignore my question as I just read about all your Ipod troubles.  I read somewhere about a Sync support phone number.  Can they help you?  I am sorry for all your frustration.  We did get the system freezing after we hooked up our 160 GB Ipod and then I unplugged it and things seemed okay. It has over 4000 songs on it and it seemed to work fine after the big brain freeze when it downloaded.   I am not one that is very dependent on my Ipod so it doesn't really matter to me if it doesn't work down the road.  Sirius in new to me and I am enjoying it.  But my husband would be like you and be pretty miffed and would be like a dog with a bone until he got the issues resolved.  Good luck.  I just found the number 1-888-270-1055 Sync Support for the USA --Monday-Saturday 8:30 to 8 PM EST. If you speak with, ask them if there is a way to back up all your Sync data so you don't lose your stored info. when doing a master re-set. 

Laurel, thank you very much! I will try to call them tomorrow. Us men are like kids, and we love our toys!..;p).

You're welcome Mike.  Hopefully they will help and figure things out.  My guess is they will be better than the dealership.  We asked for a training session on the Myford touch and Sync and got maybe 5 minutes and we knew more than our instructor from watching youtube videos.  Don't want you giving up on your C-Max <g>.  Keep us posted.

This AM,  I just touched the 'voice' to give a command, after the voice started, I accidentally  hit the 'voice' button again, and it blew it all, in the center of the screen was a partially readable Microsoft old fashion window, then it went totally black for about 30 Sec, then  reset it self, came up working with blank buttons on the Sirius screen, I went to another screen and then back to the Sirius buttons, and they were all there with the stations noted.

Edited by Arthur

looks like all C-Max (energi and Hybrid) cars will get an upgrade 1st Q of 2013.  I hope that they dont mess with all of the settings for connected media, it took to long to get all of that set up!  Plus if they are going to upgrade the firmware, they should upgrade the processer and the RAM at the same time, I'm sure that would solve 99 percent of the slowness and indexing type of problems.  but that might be cost prohibitive for ford.  on the other hand, if you can download new Firmware for the car over the net to a usb device, that would be a great tool for owners, not having to go to the dealership everytime they want to "upgrade" a bug fix or a new version.

looks like all C-Max (energi and Hybrid) cars will get an upgrade 1st Q of 2013.  I hope that they dont mess with all of the settings for connected media, it took to long to get all of that set up!  Plus if they are going to upgrade the firmware, they should upgrade the processer and the RAM at the same time, I'm sure that would solve 99 percent of the slowness and indexing type of problems.  but that might be cost prohibitive for ford.  on the other hand, if you can download new Firmware for the car over the net to a usb device, that would be a great tool for owners, not having to go to the dealership everytime they want to "upgrade" a bug fix or a new version.

Most of the time, you do upgrade the firmware through http://syncmyride.com

When they released the big update in March, they sent everyone a USB drive with the update already on it, the smaller updates they just have people go to the website.  They also sent a new nav card w/ updated maps.