Body Side Moldings And Tinted Glass

RedLdr1

All,

As I mentioned in another thread I had ordered Body Side Moldings (BSM) for the C-Max.  I ordered color matched ChromeLine moldings from SportWing.   As usual the color match is spot on and they were easy to install.  Being lazy, and it is cool here, I had a local body shop install them this morning. 

Last week I took the car in and had the windows tinted, excluding the windshield, but including the panoramic roof, with Formula One Pinnacle Ceramic window tint.  I went with a 35% tint to keep it legal...  The reduction in glare is unbelievable, and I know from past experience it will keep the car several degrees cooler in the summer.

Here are a few photos showing how it turned out...

8232186143_6ecfcae96c_c.jpg
[/url]

8233248394_8d575fd199_c.jpg

8232186501_8cf37ac860_c.jpg

8232184841_88596ce42e_c.jpg

I still have the Ford front splash guards and "vent visors" to install, hopefully I'll get those done this weekend if it warms up... 

EDIT NOTE:  I just added the fourth picture....

Edited by RedLdr1

I've never done window tinting before, but I'm thinking about it for my imminent C-max.  

Here in "Hotlanta" decent window tint is almost a necessity...  I have been using Formula One on all my vehicles, well the ones with windows anyway, for about 15 years.  The amount of UV rejection and heat reduction makes the cost well worth it IMO.  Keeping the C-Max cooler with window tint means less A/C running which leads to better gas mileage...not that you can justify the cost that way, but it helps!  ;)  Plus not sitting down on a leather seat hot enough to cook your tail is much more pleasant.  That is why I also had the panoramic roof tinted, the sun screen lets a lot of sun, and heat, in to the car even when it is closed.

That is why I also had the panoramic roof tinted, the sun screen lets a lot of sun, and heat, in to the car even when it is closed.

That was one of the reasons I chose not to get the glass roof, along with worries about adding roof racks, and roof weight capacities.  Doesn't mean I'm not jealous of those who went for it. :-)

• 2 weeks later...

I went to the website but no moldings for the C-Max.  Which set did you order?

Manufacturer Part No: CF-FOCUS084DR for the ChromeLine version I used.  If you want the ones without the ChromeLine Strip change the first two letters from CF to FE...

Edited by RedLdr1

Looks awesome, RedLdr1.  I need to make some time to get mine tinted as well. 

Did they tint the little window area up in the front as well? (I can't tell from the pictures).

Also, how is the view with the tinted sunroof at night time?  Can you still see the street lights and the sky clearly?

Thanks.

Did they tint the little window area up in the front as well? (I can't tell from the pictures).

Yes, everything except the windshield was tinted.

Also, how is the view with the tinted sunroof at night time?  Can you still see the street lights and the sky clearly?

I had them use a legal 35% tint so looking out is like wearing very good sunglasses.  At night the stars are definitely "muted" but the moon and street lights are easy to see. 

I would luv the front windows tinted, that would be so cool but these eggheads here in California has banned any tinting on the front windows.

I'm in So. Cal and have tinted the front windows (35% or lighter) for every car I've owned.  Only been stopped and given a fix it ticket once in 20 years.  So I'll continue to take my chances :)

Edited by dtorres

First when you say 35% you really mean 65% transmission right?  The california regulation is 70% on the front windows.  Second when you put tint over the stock windows your reducing the transmission further.

Does anybody know what the stock tint is? Technically If its 15% then you could only add another 15%.

Granted it may be hard to tell the difference unless you had an electronic device.

I am definitely thinking of tinting my windows.  Was wondering about doing the roof as well.  I am in Indiana where usually we have a few days over 90* in the summer but last summer it was more like a few 80* days and the rest were 90-100*! Wish I would have had the stone colored leather seats in my previous car instead of black. *Ouch*

First when you say 35% you really mean 65% transmission right? The california regulation is 70% on the front windows. Second when you put tint over the stock windows your reducing the transmission further.

Does anybody know what the stock tint is? Technically If its 15% then you could only add another 15%.

Granted it may be hard to tell the difference unless you had an electronic device.

Correct it allows 65% of light through. The tint shops here refer to it as 35 and it's the lightest tint most shops here have. In CA you're actually not allowed to have any tint on the front windows unless it came from the factory that way.

First when you say 35% you really mean 65% transmission right? The california regulation is 70% on the front windows. Second when you put tint over the stock windows your reducing the transmission further.

Correct it allows 65% of light through. The tint shops here refer to it as 35 and it's the lightest tint most shops here have. In CA you're actually not allowed to have any tint on the front windows unless it came from the factory that way.

• 4 weeks later...

Hello, Atlanta.  I am just north of you in Nashville, technically Thompson's Station, 30 miles south of Nashville.  Anyway, I was wondering about aftermarket tinting.  Since it sounds like you've done it before, does it hold up well?  I've seen so many cars with horrible looking tinting, and I don't want that.  But I would like to tint my windows.

Sharon

Hi Sharon,

I have found the key to aftermarket window tinting is to have a professional do it with a quality product.  I  have also seen too many "Wal-Mart" tint jobs using cheap films that peel, bubble, crack, and look awful in no time.   I have been using FormulaOne tint on every vehicle I have owned in the last roughly fifteen years.  I have never had any problems what so ever.   If it does have a problem the film has a Lifetime Warranty.  Your local FormulaOne dealer can advise you on what level of tint is legal in your area.   They can also go over the different Series of films available.   I recommend the Pinnacle Series film as it will not interfere with electronics, such as cell phones, GPS, etc like a metallic based film possibly can in some cases.