I recently purchased a 2013 Cmax SE ice storm about a month ago with about 52,700 miles on it, one owner with a completely clear carfax. After researching between it, the prius, and a few of the tdi vehicles over a couple months I decided on the Cmax in a single afternoon upon sitting in both the Cmax and a prius they had on the lot. The difference for me was night and day!
Anyhow, I've put 2100 miles on it so far. Love how it drives. Comfortable and QUIET! But, I have only been able to manage low 30's mpg. The best I've managed has been 36 mpg. From what's been posted around, it seems like I may need to get the software updated??? Is there anywhere that I can check to see what or when the updates have been done? Also, I live in south central Kansas, moderate to no hills, avg winds of 12-30 mph, and I live out in the country about 20 miles to the nearest town so most of my commute is on a rural two lane black top with nearly no traffic. I have also been lurking around and reading just about every post on the site that catches my eye and might have some potentially good information. Joined up after purchase, made it official!! lol
Here's what I've got so far:
- 25 mile one way trip to work: depending on the route: all 25 miles at approx 60 mph; or 12 miles at 60 mph, ~4-6 miles at 65-68 mph, ~2-3 miles at 30 (cruise set in town where traffic allows) with maybe only two stoplights catching me, last ~4-7 miles at 65-68 mph
- EV+ & ECO cruise always
- No less than 89 octane gas, ethanol free (had that stuff rot a motorcycle fuel tank on me one winter)
- Outside temp: coldest was mid 40's warmest mid 80's since I've bought the car
- HVAC set to auto and usually have the A/C off and temp settings in the mid 70's
- Tire pressure at 42 psi
- VERY easy/gentle accelerations where traffic allows, typically no more than a two bar acceleration
- Great brake score as well as looooooooooong coasting to stops (again where traffic allows)
- Idk what weight oil is in the engine & tires were brand new prior to purchase
- I'm still getting the hang of the pulse and glide technique
Before i figured out how to reset the 'Lifetime Summary' I used the Trip 2 odometer as my personnal lifetime one (I'll try and thow a picture of that in). And it seemed the previous owner only managed a 34 mpg average over their 2.25 years of having the car. I've taken it on a few 1 hour road trips but most of my miles have been of the work commute variety. The dealership where I bought the car is almost 2 hours away, so a quick swing by there to chat is a little more difficult than I would like. Plus I had the "explained more to the salesman than he knew about the car" kind of experience. And I am unsure of my local ford dealership's proficiency with a vehicle crammed with this much tech, at least where the software upgrades are concerned. To be fair, I have yet to make it in to talk to their service department. Haven't had a day off work since purchase.
Any tips, questions, or "hey dummy do this" stratgies??
Thanks all for your time and also for any help!!