Car won't start

sipe211

I left my key turned on in my new 2015 c-max....it is dead!!!! Can I jump it? Or can I put a carer on it? Which would be better?

You can jump start it; there are positive and negative posts under the front hood.  Before buying, I test drove one at the dealer, and they had to boost it before we could drive it.

Either, jump start or slow charger. Just look up the connection points in the manual; nice red cap on the positive, but negative is an unlabeled post on the frame rail.

Note that this cannot occur with keyless entry... car turns itself off.

Conversely, you can lock your keys in the car very easily with keyless entry (did it at the dealer, they had no answer). This is unrecoverable without a spare key. (Dealer started bending the door frame...)

Have fun,

Frank

Either, jump start or slow charger. Just look up the connection points in the manual; nice red cap on the positive, but negative is an unlabeled post on the frame rail.

Note that this cannot occur with keyless entry... car turns itself off.

Conversely, you can lock your keys in the car very easily with keyless entry (did it at the dealer, they had no answer). This is unrecoverable without a spare key. (Dealer started bending the door frame...)

Have fun,

Frank

You can actually leave your car in ready to drive mode, exit the car with your FOB, lock your car with the FOB, and leave. ICE will start when the HVB gets to the low SOC trigger level.  I do this all the time when we travel with our dog and stop for lunch or dinner.

I think you're right... I was thinking about accessory mode, which will turn itself off. Sucks at drive-in movies.

Frank

I haven't played with it much yet but there appears to be another even more minimal mode than accessory.  With the car off I can press the power button on the radio and turn it on without ever touching the power button for the car...

I'm used to the auto power off feature at the drive in.  Our Sienna has the same thing.

What I've realized would be even more of a problem with my 2013 Energi is that it's DRL's don't shut off in Park.  Any time the car is on, the lights are on.  So to not annoy anyone I'd have to make sure I got there well before the movie starts(not a big deal) and then not turn the car back on until everyone else is leaving...(even then I've tended to just use the marker lights to not annoy others still watching the credits or something).

The trouble with that is hoping that the 12v battery will be ok with the stereo on for 4 or so hours...  Might be fine...  Oh, and hoping that I don't need to start the car for a bit of heat or defrost...

Every other car I've owned had options for shutting off the drl's, either with a built in switch or with the parking brake on a notch, etc...

I always joke about that and my wife keeps reminding me there are some areas of the country where they have indeed survived, even if they are mostly on life support.

Kind of reminds me of vinyl records -- for all but the most die hard they just don't exist, but there will always be *some* out there who keep the experience alive (I can't say there is much about either that I miss).

Interestingly, in the Houston area there is a drive in I've been to a few times. Apparently they are doing well enough that they are opening a second theater. The first one is North of Houston, the new one will be South of Houston.

I will admit, I've not gone with my C-Max SEL; can't have the car on without the DRL being on and have to bring a separate radio, since the radio turns off 10 minutes after the car is turned off.

Interestingly, in the Houston area there is a drive in I've been to a few times. Apparently they are doing well enough that they are opening a second theater. The first one is North of Houston, the new one will be South of Houston.

I will admit, I've not gone with my C-Max SEL; can't have the car on without the DRL being on and have to bring a separate radio, since the radio turns off 10 minutes after the car is turned off.

What?  You mean they don't have the speaker mounted on a pedestal that you mount on your window anymore!  Pity....   

It's far cheaper for them to broadcast the radio track (and they lose less speakers).

But... they are caught in between the OLD technology (the window speakers) and the new (if they enabled bluetooth, for example, folks could receive MUCH better audio and those of us in C-Maxes could even bring portable bluetooth speakers, which have amazing sound nowadays.  Range might be an issue, but good bluetooth broadcasters can operate over several hundred feet, and they could have some repeater stations along the way.  Or, hell, they could just stream the audio using podcasts and still get better sound).

Edited by Kelleytoons

It's far cheaper for them to broadcast the radio track (and they lose less speakers).

But... they are caught in between the OLD technology (the window speakers) and the new (if they enabled bluetooth, for example, folks could receive MUCH better audio and those of us in C-Maxes could even bring portable bluetooth speakers, which have amazing sound nowadays.  Range might be an issue, but good bluetooth broadcasters can operate over several hundred feet, and they could have some repeater stations along the way.  Or, hell, they could just stream the audio using podcasts and still get better sound).

But the FM radio sound is still better than the old metal speakers you used to mount to the window. Another option would be if they could upgrade to HD Radio, though that isn't as widely available as Bluetooth.

But... they are caught in between the OLD technology (the window speakers) and the new (if they enabled bluetooth, for example, folks could receive MUCH better audio and those of us in C-Maxes could even bring portable bluetooth speakers, which have amazing sound nowadays. Range might be an issue, but good bluetooth broadcasters can operate over several hundred feet, and they could have some repeater stations along the way. Or, hell, they could just stream the audio using podcasts and still get better sound).

I use BT in the bathroom and the patio, love them.