Seriously, FAREWELL

fbov

This is my last post.

I am leaving out of frustration, having lost yet another post this morning when I tried to add a link. Simple stuff I've done in many forums for many years are no longer available to me here, and only here. No other forums I use have issues. I conclude this forum is no longer functional.

I can't quote.

I can't add links.

I can't view the forum. Nothing but HTTP 500 errors since the forum upgrade. Issues elevated to no avail.

I just retired from industry, ending the commute I've used to assess various things suggested to improve mileage. I have a bunch of last data I'd like to report, but I can't. The forum only takes text, like this post. That is unacceptable.

We once had a useful forum here, I'm very sad to see it go.

This is a very sad day for me.

Frank, who is not having fun.

PS this is posted single-spaced... yet another forum issue.

Edited by fbov

This is my last post.

I am leaving out of frustration, having lost yet another post this morning when I tried to add a link. Simple stuff I've done in many forums for many years are no longer available to me here, and only here. No other forums I use have issues. I conclude this forum is no longer functional.

I can't quote.

I can't add links.

I can't view the forum. Nothing but HTTP 500 errors since the forum upgrade. Issues elevated to no avail.

I just retired from industry, ending the commute I've used to assess various things suggested to improve mileage. I have a bunch of last data I'd like to report, but I can't. The forum only takes text, like this post. That is unacceptable.

Since not everyone is having the same problem Frank, (see, I was able to quote above), could it be an issue with the browser or version of the browser that you are using?  It might also need the latest plugins to enable some of the forum's features.  Just a thought. Try posting using another computer. 

Edited by Louder North

Don't go Frank, I appreciate all that you do.

Quotes work for me.  Let's try a link:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DtoCw2iOTSc

Link seems to work.  What browser are you using?  Usually problems with web sites come down to the browser (and usually come down to using Internet Explorer, or whatever Microsoft is calling their latest browsing monstrosity).  I would highly recommend Chrome, the only real browser anyone should be using (and works cross platforms on nearly anything anyone wants: PC, Mac, iOS, Android, which the added advantage of sharing your bookmarks across all your devices).

If Chrome doesn't work for you I'd be amazed (and if you've never used it you are in for a treat).

This is my last post.

I can't quote.

I can't add links.

Like Frank I have these problems + a few he didn't mention.

Here are my work arounds.

"I can't quote."

The only way I've found to quote is to use the "MultiQuote" option, quote 2 posts then delete (backspace) the quote I don't want.

I quoted posts #1 and #6 then hit the "more reply options" at the bottom of the page then delete #6.

"I can't add links."

To add links (or paste) I have to hit the "BB Code mode" first button on the top "Reply to..." tool bar, then I can paste the link or other copied items, then hit the "BBCode mode" button again.

A few users suffer with this  :lol: forum, as mentioned by Frank and others we are members of SEVERAL other forums and this is the only one we have problems with?

This is being typed on a DELL Inspiron 5558, Intel i7 cpu, Windows 10

my desktop was running internet explorer professional 7, upgraded to Windows 10, SAME problems.

This is my last post.

I can't quote.

I can't add links.

Working OK here on Firefox.  Use Chrome at home and it has been fine there too.   This was the standard quote. 

Here is a link as a test Fatwallet

Hope it starts working for you. 

Sad indeed, I sure hope you can find a solution and come back with more fun.  Your input has been much appreciated.  Now whose going to keep me straight on aero topics?

Here is a post on a 5 year old dell at work.  running windows 7 and Firefox

http://www.nvmyc.com/home

following lines are single spaced with a hard return at the end of the line

these lines are singlespaced with a soft return (word wrap)

In December 2006, the facelifted version of the C-Max was revealed at the 2006 Bologna Motor Show and went on sale in late spring 2007.[3] The pre-facelift version of the car (2003–2007) was called the Ford Focus C-Max. The name change to C-Max is attributable to Ford's MPV strategy of creating a 'Max' branded line of MPVs, starting with the Ford S-Max, launched in 2006.

The facelift brought the car in line with Ford's 'Kinetic Design' design language, evidenced through its twin trapezoidal grilles, large wheel arches and angular headlights. However, as the car does not have a bodyshell originally designed for 'Kinetic Design,' Ford officially states that the car contains only 'elements' of the design language.

Edited by Marc Smith

Yeah, I think clearly this is an IE sort of thing.

While a lot of websites *can* play well with IE, many do not (including the two that I run).  As an admin it is a PITA to deal with and for the most part I just tell members "use a real browser".  While it would seem like Microsoft's standard browser with every OS ought to be at least supported by everyone, it's so much work and effort to do that I totally understand when it isn't.

As a former IT chief the first thing we did in our state was standardize on FireFox (and then, later, Chrome).  It saved a whole lot of frustration.

The thing I've found is that EVERY single person who I've gotten to switch over to Chrome is so impressed they wished they had done it sooner.  If all you ever have used is IE it will be quite the eye-opener to use a world class browser.

Edited by Kelleytoons

I'll add the caveat that the Google Chrome browser for Apple Macintosh OS X can be a 'UGE' (to borrow a phrase from a recent political candidate) resource hog of both RAM and processor cycles on Apple Mac. That results in frequent 'beachballs' when the entire system slows to a crawl.

Although Google claims to keep improving Chrome for OS X, Apple Mac users with 4GB of RAM or less are advised to simply avoid the Chrome browser.

I'm currently running Apple Safari 9.1 browser on OS X "Yosemite" 10.10.5 to access this forum.

I have never experienced any of the problems mentioned by Frank, going back my oldest Mac running Safari 5 on OS X 10.6.8 that I was using when I first signed up for the C-MAX forum.

Edited by kostby

I use Safari on both my Mac and iOS and it's all right, but Chrome is definitely better (and I never have resources issues -- then again, I'm still at least one or two OS releases behind on my Mac, as I have ZERO need to fix things which aren't broken).

The thing I like most about Chrome is that all my bookmarks are synchonized across ALL my devices (iPad, iPhone, Mac and PCs).  This used to drive me crazy with other browsers and perhaps by now Safari and/or Firefox have caught up, but it's such a joy to bookmark something somewhere and see it show up everywhere else (because I surf across a wide range of things).

And I'll bet you dollars to donuts you won't have any of these issues running Chrome on your desktop.

(Truely, IE is a virus).

I run Chrome too. :)

Paul

I did a Google search for "how to get chrome to always open on my home page" thinking this was a good excuse to FIX my phone.

https://www.google.com/search?as_q=&as_epq=how+do+get+chrome+to+always+open+on+my+home+page&as_oq=&as_eq=&as_nlo=&as_nhi=&lr=&cr=&as_qdr=all&as_sitesearch=&as_occt=any&safe=images&as_filetype=&as_rights=#as_qdr=all&q=%22how+to+get+chrome+to+always+open+on+my+home+page%22

I thought about reading ALL 27.5M hits :lol:

Back on topic, WHY should Frank have to install/learn a new system for ONE forum?

Edited by wab

Back on topic, WHY should Frank have to install/learn a new system for ONE forum?

I totally understand that but it is pretty common today to have to use more than one browser.   To me, It is amazing that everything works as well as it does.  I have sites that I have to use IE to go to still.  I don't like IE but do use it to get what I need.   Even on my phone i have sites have have issues with one browser but work fine with another.  

Generally these are pretty much free sites so I can work around some issues.

Of course In the end it is his choice to not use this site too.   I just stopped using a website because it had too many pop up ads.   I don't want to use an ad blocker because I do want to support these site but they can go too far (IMO).  I also refuse to use sites that require me to sign up before I can read or shop there.   Again to each his own. 

I use Safari on both my Mac and iOS and it's all right, but Chrome is definitely better (and I never have resources issues -- then again, I'm still at least one or two OS releases behind on my Mac, as I have ZERO need to fix things which aren't broken).

The thing I like most about Chrome is that all my bookmarks are synchonized across ALL my devices (iPad, iPhone, Mac and PCs).  This used to drive me crazy with other browsers and perhaps by now Safari and/or Firefox have caught up, but it's such a joy to bookmark something somewhere and see it show up everywhere else (because I surf across a wide range of things).

I believe Firefox syncs across platforms now, but I only use it for syncing different PCs so I'm not sure. I prefer FF to Chrome for the PC.

I also webmaster a couple of sites. The problem I most hate when surfing the web is that some people program ONLY for IE. Their sites are using tricks that don't work with all browsers. If you are making a site, make sure it works! Drives me nuts when I have to open IE or Edge to view a site. Just lazy programming in my opinion.

I have never used Edge but among my former IT colleagues they say they are still staying away from it (and from Win 10 in general -- granted, these are folks whose career and work relies upon things being dependable and cannot afford to live on the "bleeding edge.  I'm retired so I *could* take more chances, but just don't feel like it).

It wouldn't take a lot for any browser to be better than IE, so it's faint praise indeed.

Edited by Kelleytoons