Seriously, FAREWELL

fbov

I have never used Edge but among my former IT colleagues they say they are still staying away from it (and from Win 10 in general -- granted, these are folks whose career and work relies upon things being dependable and cannot afford to live on the "bleeding edge.  I'm retired so I *could* take more chances, but just don't feel like it).

It wouldn't take a lot for any browser to be better than IE, so it's faint praise indeed.

Well, there isn't much choice sometimes. The Microsoft site for OneDrive won't work with FireFox (or IE) - it constantly refreshes. It is designed for Edge. I have to use Edge when I visit there. It may only be on a Windows 10 machine;it is possible MS picks up the OS when you go there.

Pretty simple then -- don't use OneDrive (which MS is constantly crippling and making more and more useless anyway).

Lots of much better alternates (I stopped using it even when I had 200GB of data free, as it was pretty well fracking my machine up with all the nasty takeovers it insisted on).

Edited by Kelleytoons

Pretty simple then -- don't use OneDrive (which MS is constantly crippling and making more and more useless anyway).

Lots of much better alternates (I stopped using it even when I had 200GB of data free, as it was pretty well fracking my machine up with all the nasty takeovers it insisted on).

MicroSquish has free copies of Excel, Word, and Powerpoint for Android - But they only save to OneDrive. They will read from others like Google Drive, but unless you own the  desktop versions of Office, you cannot write.

I keep my mileage log on OneDrive, so I can fill it out at the gas station.

The problem I'm having (OT here) is that with Windows 10, I can't sync OneDrive to my computer that is logged into a local domain. They want me to sign in with Microsoft, and I'm afraid if I do that I won't have access to the network drives. They changed it recently - up until this month OneDrive would sync with my Windows 10 desktop easily.

Back on topic:

Is it just fbov and me who have many small and a few big problems with this forum?

Example: When I log into the Cmax forum I go straight to "New Content" just like ALL other forums I belong to.
One of the many small problem with the Ford C-max Hybrid Form is when I hover my mouse over the  subject "Another tire tread... sorry" I see "View Result"
But when I hover my mouse over the subject (Generator Exhaust Extensions) "on the  "Georgetown - Forest River Forums" is see "Has anyone made an extension for their generator to get the exhaust out from under the slide" which doesn't interest me because our generator isn't under a slide out, so I don't open the thread.

How does Chrome, etc handle this?

Edit: for our younger, non PC laptop forum members.
"A computer mouse is a pointing device (hand control) that detects two-dimensional motion relative to a surface. This motion is typically translated into the motion of a pointer on a display, which allows a smooth control of the graphical user interface."

Edited by wab

Well, I too get "View Result" and I can't search (real pain) but I always attributed that to my very old version of Firefox (7.0.1) that I'm still running under an old Linux distro (or some blocker stuff).  Websites are constantly complaining about how my browser is "no longer supported" - blah, blah, blah.  Of course I desperately need to update the whole computer but I'm "too lazy" and its soooo boring.  I certainly don't have the problems Frank was having.

I tried another computer with W10 and latest Firefox (just downloaded) and it too gives "View Result" but search works.

I don't try hovering but just go by the topic headings after I click "New Content" -- let me see what happens...nope, just see "View Topic", which doesn't seem particularly troublesome (as I said, never did this before so never noticed).  I can understand why hovering and getting more details would be nice, but it doesn't appeal to be a problem so much as it's just how the forum works (my own forums don't do this either).

Check your theme as well. See "Change Theme" on the lower left hand corner of your web page.

I now use the default "I.P.Board" as I had so many issues including login issues with the other Themes earlier. Once I switched to the default one, it all went away. Go figure...

If you still continue having issues, please PM robertlane as he's the site owner, I got no powers to change any parts of the forum.

Thanks

• 2 weeks later...

Back on topic:

Is it just fbov and me who have many small and a few big problems with this forum?

Example: When I log into the Cmax forum I go straight to "New Content" just like ALL other forums I belong to.

One of the many small problem with the Ford C-max Hybrid Form is when I hover my mouse over the  subject "Another tire tread... sorry" I see "View Result"

But when I hover my mouse over the subject (Generator Exhaust Extensions) "on the  "Georgetown - Forest River Forums" is see "Has anyone made an extension for their generator to get the exhaust out from under the slide" which doesn't interest me because our generator isn't under a slide out, so I don't open the thread.

How does Chrome, etc handle this?

Edit: for our younger, non PC laptop forum members.

"A computer mouse is a pointing device (hand control) that detects two-dimensional motion relative to a surface. This motion is typically translated into the motion of a pointer on a display, which allows a smooth control of the graphical user interface."

I don't try hovering but just go by the topic headings after I click "New Content" -- let me see what happens...nope, just see "View Topic", which doesn't seem particularly troublesome (as I said, never did this before so never noticed).  I can understand why hovering and getting more details would be nice, but it doesn't appeal to be a problem so much as it's just how the forum works (my own forums don't do this either).

"when I hover my mouse over the subject"

"I don't try hovering but just go by the topic headings after I click "New Content" -- let me see what happens...nope, just see "View Topic", which doesn't seem particularly troublesome"

Anybody open the new thread "Virus" by new member 78Pinto?

78Pinto started the thread at 9:16, logged off at 9:17...HUM.

Hovering your mouse over 78Pinto tells a lot, sure would be nice to hover over the subject!

Frank,

Echoing others here, please do reconsider; we would/will all miss your presence significantly, and wish you a speedy resolution to your website wobbles & a welcome return.

I have had issues here as well, still have, and do work-arounds all of the time.  I suspect Kelley is right that it is likely all to do with Internet Explorer.  That is what we use, and I believe all of my FordC-MaxHybridForum.com issues are traceable to updates to that browser.  If I was not such a lazy goofball, I would remove & reload IE, or just use Firefox.  Yes we have Firefox on our machine, and yes I have never tried it for this site; who knows, maybe I will try it tomorrow and not have to play games with work-arounds. ;) ;) ;)

Do come back and Have(some more)Fun, :) :) :)

All the best,

Nick 

Edited by C-MaxSea

I had typed a nice long reply, but then inadvertently got the pop-up-that-never-closes.

Refresh.

Start Over.

This is why I left.

Using this forum is an exercise in frustration. I'd like to participate, but the personal cost is too high.

I am about to do an oil change, and would like to add the oil analysis to my past data. Paul, if you could please PM me with a private e-mail, I can forward you the data for posting when available.  

Sorry, but I don't see alternatives... that was in the deleted post.

Frank

I am always amazed as to how many web sites let advertisers ruin the user experience. First, it hurts the users who are interested in that web site, and second, why would any advertiser want viewers cursing their ad?

It also bothers me when a web designer comes up with a site that works with some web browsers but poorly with others. Again, why would the operators of the web site wish to make things difficult for a fair percentage of their users?

Weird.

Ah, that is probably why I don't even know about the popups (I'm running an ad blocker, the best one out there).

I run several forums and do not have any ads so it's quite possible to have them without ads (and even affordable).  Then again, I'm not trying to make money off of them.

I'm using a JavaScript blocker, which has the same effect. I hate to do it, I know sites generate money from ads. But they area almost always intrusive these days.

Also, if a site puts up its OWN ads, instead of simply using outside URLs, it will show up. But most site operators do not go to the trouble of setting up their own ads. It really  slows down the site. I have discovered that most sites call an external ad program, which then reloads with more ad programs, which then reloads more ads. A site can load a half dozen times before it is complete. If you don't have script blocking you never know it - and your web browsing runs slower because of this.

Anyway, that is my compromise. I always allow the actual site URL to run Javascript and put up ads - if they go to the trouble of putting them on the site themselves.

I just switched to Firefox and all of my (Window's Internet Explorer) gremlins disappeared !  :happy feet:

That is a perfect example of my prior comment. Why would any web site operator program their site in a manner that runs poorly on a major web browser used by a significant percentage of their users? A lot of people will never try other browsers or switch -- they'll just have a hard time viewing or participating in the web site. Some will just quit (as did the original poster). Others will stick around but not engage as much as they might otherwise, and they certainly won't have those good fuzzy feelings a web site owner want all their visitors to have.

They may not know -- owning and running a web site is a major effort that a lot of folks do not take the time to do right.  You really need to test it with ALL major browsers, as well as both Macs and PCs (and all browsers for both of them, as Chrome on a Mac operates differently than on a PC).  And you need to keep testing, as your advertisers will change the way they serve ads (assuming you generate revenue from ads, which is why I do NOT do this on the sites I run).  It's a job that takes at LEAST 10-20 hours per week and most owners will not do this.

Even with all that work I get thrown by the changes (mostly by IE) that come my way, but I because I don't serve ads (and thus no popups or otherwise annoying junk) it's a whole lot easier.  Then again, I'm a former IT manager, so I know what I'm doing.