What would you do?

mtta

Tire Dilemma  

4 members have voted

1. 1. What would you do?

• Replace all 4 tires now
    • Replace all 4 tires later, once the originals are worn
    • Replace the plugged tire only

Looking for feedback on what to do about my tires. Bought my C-Max used and it's at 36k miles.

CarFax showed one tire repaired, and one tire replaced at 28k miles. This means I have three original tires with 36k on them, and one new-ish tire on the back right with 8k miles on it. All are the Michelin Green X Energy Saver, rated A Traction / A Temperature / 480 Treadwear.

However, I have observed the one "repaired" tire is basically on the verge of being a sidewall plug. Picture: post-3708-0-59319900-1461525898_thumb.jpg

Having checked air pressure it is holding PSI just the same as the other tires and I guess it has lasted 7k miles as-is. But, does it look safe and how long will it last?

First thought is just grab another Michelin and replace the plugged tire. But then the back tires will be new-ish and fronts will only have about 10k left before needing replacement.  Probably would cost about $200 for the one now and $400 for the fronts later meaning $600 total. Disadvantage is after paying all this out, I would have mismatched ages (one with 8k already on it to worry about down the line).

Should I just replace all 4 now? Advantage is I could switch to a great-but-not-as-pricey tire, getting the discount for a full set. Probably would cost about $130 per tire, getting everything for about $520. Guess the almost-new Michelin just gets sacrificed because I have no place to store it.

Wondering if you all have seen front tires wear faster than the backs. My last car was like this and the backs could easily last 1.5x the fronts, meaning it was cost effective to just do front tires at one point.

Thanks for the pic.  There was a discussion thread on the repairable area of tires.  There are some that would say that puncture is beyond the "tread" repairable area.  There are some pics of the repairable area that show the repairable area is between the two outside grooves of the tire.  I don't have an issue with the plug as shown and have had similar repairs in that location with no issues.

What's the tread depth of each tire?  Front tires generally do wear faster.  The "words of wisdom" by tire manufacturers is that if you are going to replace 2 tires, the new tires should go on the rear.  I'd just wait until the 3 tires need replaced and then replace all four.

Thanks for your thoughts. Looking at a little over 4/32 left. I think this set could last another year or around 9000 miles.

Major construction is across the street from me, and I know for a fact if I bought new tires now, I'd get a nail within days. This favors keeping the current set.

• 3 weeks later...

I personally would put new tires on the front, because the rears just follow the fronts and all the work is done with the fronts. :)

Paul

Don't do it.  Image new tires on front and bald tires on rear.  You'll virtually lose all control when water lifts the bald tires off the road going around a slight curve in the road.

Don't do it.  Image new tires on front and bald tires on rear.  You'll virtually lose all control when water lifts the bald tires off the road going around a slight curve in the road.

Here is a link to  CMAX ENERGY Forum where their are videos describing this problem: http://fordcmaxenergiforum.com/topic/4836-my-bad-whats-your-vote-replace-2-or-4-tires/

It would appear for wet roads new tires in back assuming fronts have 50% tread, but for snowy roads you want the good ones on the front. :) 

Paul 

Thanks guys. If front tires were worn and back had plenty of life... buying two, I'd put them on the back... and move the used back tires up front. I no longer encounter much snow (nor sleet, freezing rain, slush, road salt and rust). With two different back tires, moving them up front would not work because it would throw off the handling. 

I feel more comfortable with the plug now, and probably checking tire pressure every month or so to keep aware.

Thanks guys. If front tires were worn and back had plenty of life... buying two, I'd put them on the back... and move the used back tires up front. I no longer encounter much snow (nor sleet, freezing rain, slush, road salt and rust). With two different back tires, moving them up front would not work because it would throw off the handling. 

I feel more comfortable with the plug now, and probably checking tire pressure every month or so to keep aware.

If you have a smartphone, get the ForScan.org app and the applicable ELM 327 and you can monitor tire pressure and other data whenever you want to.  For under $30 you'll have peace of mind.