driver door stuck

csavage7

This evening my wife drove to the daycare to pick up our kid. Everything was normal. When she came out from the daycare, she reports that the driver door was stuck and would not open. She was worried about breaking it but eventually wrenched it open. Then it was stuck open and didn't want to close. She eventually forced it closed and drove home.

I was coming home when she pulled in. She climbed out of the passenger side door. The driver side door was indeed stuck and didn't want to open. All the other doors operated normally. It was dark but I looked at it a bit. It appears that the main latch is releasing and the top/top-side wants to swing out, but the lower half of the door doesn't want to move. I didn't see any thing stuck there and didn't want to force it open.

Called Ford service department but they didn't have any appointments available until Monday morning.

Has anyone else experienced something like this? Does anyone have any ideas? Seems crazy for a car with 250 miles on it. 

I have not experienced the problem.

I would check all the weather stripping for foreign material that might be acting as a glue when the door is closed.  I would also carefully check the door and surrounding structure for any sign of damage and carefully examine the appearance of the door when closed--are the clearances all around the door the same and do they appear normal.  Finally I would carefully check the latch mechanism(s) to see if there is any sign of interference between the part on the body and the part on the door.  Most doors have at least one extra mechanism somewhere around the perimeter to keep the door from opening in a collision.

The Ford dealer service dept intake guys marveled that they had never seen such a thing.

Mechanic eventually got door open and diagnosed it as the panel had become unlodged and then jammed the door jamb. They ordered a replacement panel and put it on the next day.

I asked why the panel would have slipped and they said maybe the latch on it snapped when the car door was slammed or the car went over a bump. Wife swears she did not do either, but even if she had surely the panel should have stayed put anyway! 

The Ford dealer service dept intake guys marveled that they had never seen such a thing.

Mechanic eventually got door open and diagnosed it as the panel had become unlodged and then jammed the door jamb. They ordered a replacement panel and put it on the next day.

I asked why the panel would have slipped and they said maybe the latch on it snapped when the car door was slammed or the car went over a bump. Wife swears she did not do either, but even if she had surely the panel should have stayed put anyway! 

Wow, did you take a picture of the panel problem area?

• 3 years later...

Someone "slammed" the door?  Is there any other way to close a door on an American car?  .. Okay, maybe I don't ram it in there but I'm not particularly "ginger" with them either..and since I live in PA I go over "bumps" all the time so those two reasons don't seem to make a lot of sense..  Either way I hope the replacement panel and/or remounting actually fixes the problem.

• 1 year later...

Same thing to me- twice. Two different doors. Passenger rear and now driver front. First two times they blamed faulty screws during original installation of passenger rear door. Exact same thing just happened tonight. Got in car and drove to a movie, then door panel slipped and won’t allow door to open or close. 2013 car with 69,000 miles.