Another tire thread...sorry

MtnMarty

So I bought new tires the other day. Here's the details: I've got a 2013 with 59,000 miles. Liked the first set of Michelin's and wanted to get the same ones. I only needed 3 because I had to replace one while traveling when I tore the sidewall out of one. The replacement tire has 8/32 left, so I got 3 of the same as original (Michelin A/S). So, here's my questions:

I have the older tire on the right front. What do you-all think of that decision?

Now as to tire pressure: I filled them to 38. My tire guy did not want me to go higher due to wear life. I've read threads here in which folks are riding on really high pressure, like even 50. I'm wondering about hemorrhoids at that high a pressure, not to mention tread life.

BTW, I was able to get the tires from a local independent shop for $207 each including tax, balancing, etc.

What say you-all?

Marty

So I bought new tires the other day. Here's the details: I've got a 2013 with 59,000 miles. Liked the first set of Michelin's and wanted to get the same ones. I only needed 3 because I had to replace one while traveling when I tore the sidewall out of one. The replacement tire has 8/32 left, so I got 3 of the same as original (Michelin A/S). So, here's my questions:

I have the older tire on the right front. What do you-all think of that decision?

Now as to tire pressure: I filled them to 38. My tire guy did not want me to go higher due to wear life. I've read threads here in which folks are riding on really high pressure, like even 50. I'm wondering about hemorrhoids at that high a pressure, not to mention tread life.

BTW, I was able to get the tires from a local independent shop for $207 each including tax, balancing, etc.

What say you-all?

Marty

Take a look at the other tire threads. I keep mine at 50, for economy. I'm at 25K right now. It rides a bit rougher, but from what I've read here, it doesn't affect longevity in a negative way.

My first set went over 70k miles at elevated pressures - perhaps averaging about 45 psi.  I am now running at 49 or 50 and intend to continue that way.

BTW, be sure your new tires are still the original P225 (P-metric) tire that has a service description of 93V and maximum pressure of 51 psi.  They also make a 225 "Metric" (no P) Energy Saver A/S with a 94V service description but it is only rated for 44 psi.  You can find the 93V on the sidewall under the "ENERGY SAVER A/S" logo - or just make sure the tire is a P225/50R17 tire.  Of course the maximum pressure is on the sidewall as well.  I haven't heard that anyone has mixed them up yet but I could see it happening.