Custom Search

Welcome to the C-MAX Hybrid Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the C-MAX Hybrid Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Here's some member benefits:
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create photo albums and post images. . .more!
Click here to create an account now

Guest Message by DevFuse

Photo
- - - - -

Another tire thread...sorry

• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   MtnMarty

MtnMarty

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 177 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • LocationAsheville, NC
  • My C-MAX's Color:Ruby Red
  • Current Vehicle:Ford C Max Hybrid

Posted 28 April 2016 - 11:14 AM

So I bought new tires the other day. Here's the details: I've got a 2013 with 59,000 miles. Liked the first set of Michelin's and wanted to get the same ones. I only needed 3 because I had to replace one while traveling when I tore the sidewall out of one. The replacement tire has 8/32 left, so I got 3 of the same as original (Michelin A/S). So, here's my questions:

I have the older tire on the right front. What do you-all think of that decision?

Now as to tire pressure: I filled them to 38. My tire guy did not want me to go higher due to wear life. I've read threads here in which folks are riding on really high pressure, like even 50. I'm wondering about hemorrhoids at that high a pressure, not to mention tread life.

BTW, I was able to get the tires from a local independent shop for $207 each including tax, balancing, etc.

What say you-all?

Marty

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   stevedebi

stevedebi

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 834 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationLA
  • My C-MAX's Year:2014
  • My C-MAX's Color:Ice Storm
  • Current Vehicle:2014 C-Max Energi

Posted 28 April 2016 - 12:15 PM

So I bought new tires the other day. Here's the details: I've got a 2013 with 59,000 miles. Liked the first set of Michelin's and wanted to get the same ones. I only needed 3 because I had to replace one while traveling when I tore the sidewall out of one. The replacement tire has 8/32 left, so I got 3 of the same as original (Michelin A/S). So, here's my questions:

I have the older tire on the right front. What do you-all think of that decision?

Now as to tire pressure: I filled them to 38. My tire guy did not want me to go higher due to wear life. I've read threads here in which folks are riding on really high pressure, like even 50. I'm wondering about hemorrhoids at that high a pressure, not to mention tread life.

BTW, I was able to get the tires from a local independent shop for $207 each including tax, balancing, etc.

What say you-all?

Marty

Take a look at the other tire threads. I keep mine at 50, for economy. I'm at 25K right now. It rides a bit rougher, but from what I've read here, it doesn't affect longevity in a negative way.

• ptjones likes this

#3 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Platinum Member
  • 2,930 posts
  • LocationNewnan, GA
  • My C-MAX's Year:2013
  • My C-MAX's Color:Ingot Silver
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-MAX SEL

Posted 28 April 2016 - 02:33 PM

I also agree with 50psi which I have been doing for 110k mi.  BTW tire starts out at 9.5/32 so I would have done the same as you. :)

Paul

#4 OFFLINE   SnowStorm

SnowStorm

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 690 posts
  • LocationVirginia
  • My C-MAX's Year:2013
  • My C-MAX's Color:White Platinum
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max SE

Posted 28 April 2016 - 04:08 PM

My first set went over 70k miles at elevated pressures - perhaps averaging about 45 psi.  I am now running at 49 or 50 and intend to continue that way.

BTW, be sure your new tires are still the original P225 (P-metric) tire that has a service description of 93V and maximum pressure of 51 psi.  They also make a 225 "Metric" (no P) Energy Saver A/S with a 94V service description but it is only rated for 44 psi.  You can find the 93V on the sidewall under the "ENERGY SAVER A/S" logo - or just make sure the tire is a P225/50R17 tire.  Of course the maximum pressure is on the sidewall as well.  I haven't heard that anyone has mixed them up yet but I could see it happening.

• ptjones likes this

Custom Search

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·