Custom Search

Welcome to the C-MAX Hybrid Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the C-MAX Hybrid Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Here's some member benefits:
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create photo albums and post images. . .more!
Click here to create an account now

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Hybrid Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo

CMax dead - no lights, no dash, no screen, nothing

• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   Jaimi

Jaimi

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 6 posts
  • Region:U.S. Mississippi Valley
  • LocationUsa
  • Current Vehicle:Acura

Posted 29 April 2016 - 04:38 PM

Yesterday morning, I went to jump in my cmax and go to work. When I got in, nothing was lit up. No lights, the screen was black, pushing the button made nothing happen.

My first thought - must have run down the battery somehow. So I put it on the charger all night.

This morning - Same thing. Nothing.

I bought the car new in 2013. What's my next step? I can't even get it out of the garage, because it's in park, and the shifter is locked.

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 ONLINE   Plus 3 Golfer

Plus 3 Golfer

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 1,851 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • Location"Valley of the Sun" - AZ
  • My C-MAX's Year:2013
  • Current Vehicle:2013

Posted 29 April 2016 - 05:03 PM

Have you tried the procedure in the owner's manual to disable the shift interlock with a screwdriver?  That will allow you to get it out of the garage.

What does you 12 V battery voltage read?  Did the charger indicate the 12 V battery was charged? on most "regulating" chargers a light will change color indicating charged and the charger will apply a float charge to the battery.  Voltage should be at least 12.7 V or a little more.

Do you have an SEL or SE?

Batteries do fail. Mine lasted 30 months in Phoenix.  Have you tried to jumper the car?  You can also remove the battery and take to Autozone and have them test it.

Edited by Plus 3 Golfer, 29 April 2016 - 05:04 PM.

#3 OFFLINE   Jaimi

Jaimi

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 6 posts
  • LocationUsa

Posted 29 April 2016 - 06:59 PM

It's an Energi. Thanks for the help, I got it going. 

Using a charger wasn't good enough, apparently - I connected actual jumper cables from the other cars battery, and there were some clicking relays in the engine compartment, and everything just started working & charging again.  

I'd give the engineers a big fat D- on the charging system - can't charge unless you have enough power? This is strange.

#4 OFFLINE   Hackster

Hackster

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 3 posts
  • Region:Canada Ontario
  • LocationGreater Toronto Area
  • My C-MAX's Year:2016
  • Current Vehicle:2016 C-Max Energi

Posted 29 April 2016 - 07:13 PM

If it's an Energi, couldn't you have simply plugged it in the wall outlet?

#5 OFFLINE   Jaimi

Jaimi

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 6 posts
  • LocationUsa

Posted 29 April 2016 - 07:24 PM

If it's an Energi, couldn't you have simply plugged it in the wall outlet?

You would think so, but no - I left it plugged in all night. The design apparantly relies on that 12 volt battery being charged to even be able to charge the car at all. 

#6 ONLINE   Plus 3 Golfer

Plus 3 Golfer

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 1,851 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • Location"Valley of the Sun" - AZ
  • Current Vehicle:2013

Posted 29 April 2016 - 08:14 PM

It's an Energi. Thanks for the help, I got it going. 

Using a charger wasn't good enough, apparently - I connected actual jumper cables from the other cars battery, and there were some clicking relays in the engine compartment, and everything just started working & charging again.  

I'd give the engineers a big fat D- on the charging system - can't charge unless you have enough power? This is strange.

You should get your battery tested. Not strange. A car will usually start when jumpered.  Measure the 12V voltage now and tomorrow morning and see how much the voltage drops 

#7 OFFLINE   Hackster

Hackster

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 3 posts
  • Region:Canada Ontario
  • LocationGreater Toronto Area
  • My C-MAX's Year:2016
  • Current Vehicle:2016 C-Max Energi

Posted 29 April 2016 - 08:23 PM

You would think so, but no - I left it plugged in all night. The design apparantly relies on that 12 volt battery being charged to even be able to charge the car at all. 

Right, silly me - once the 12V battery is dead, the car will not communicate with the charger and will not start charging. 

#8 OFFLINE   Bill-N

Bill-N

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 650 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationConnecticut
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max SEL

Posted 30 April 2016 - 10:44 AM

The problem is our naive presumption that things should work because of the big battery in the back.  As we've found out, the C-Max is entirely dependent on the 12V battery, just like "normal" cars.

#9 OFFLINE   stevedebi

stevedebi

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 842 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationLA
  • My C-MAX's Year:2014
  • Current Vehicle:2014 C-Max Energi

Posted 30 April 2016 - 05:37 PM

There Energi charges the 12v battery after it finishes the HVB. It sounds like your 12v just went bad.

#10 OFFLINE   jestevens

jestevens

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 188 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationPennsylvania
  • Current Vehicle:C-MAX SEL Hybrid

Posted 01 May 2016 - 07:46 AM

The Prius works the same way - the 12V battery is used for accessories and to run the computer which then controls the charging/startup - at least you don't need the cranking amps from the 12V to actually start the engine.  I think it must work like the Prius where the HV electric motor powered by the HVB just spins the crankshaft - sort of like a Model T now that I think about it.

"Weird" behavior on the Prius (setting DTCs inappropriately, etc.) is a sign of a weak battery needing replacement.  I don't know if the C-MAX exhibits any of these strange behaviors if the battery is weak or not, most of the stories I've heard of it says "Battery Saver" or just goes dead unexpectedly.

Edited by jestevens, 01 May 2016 - 07:51 AM.

Custom Search

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·