Wheels

78Pinto

I wish someone made Solid Dish Wheels to make the car more aerodynamic. :headscratch: Curious, I had a 73 Pinto Wagon. LOL :)

Paul

You can buy steel wheels and put aerodynamic hubcaps on them. But the steelies are 25lb http://www.tirerack.com/wheels/WheelCloseUpServlet?target=runSteel&initialPartNumber=X66271&wheelMake=New&wheelModel=Steel%20Wheel&wheelFinish=Black%20Painted&showRear=no&autoMake=Ford&autoModel=C-MAX+Hybrid&autoYear=2016&autoModClar=SE

1/8" Covers don't stick out as far as tires and I have 1/8" foam insulation tape under LEXAN to seal the wheel.  Easy to take off and on. Also have 1/4" plastic screw going through Cover and sticking out 1 1/4" on inside to make sure Cover doesn't spin and unscrew. :) 

Paul 

1/8" Covers don't stick out as far as tires and I have 1/8" foam insulation tape under LEXAN to seal the wheel.  Easy to take off and on. Also have 1/4" plastic screw going through Cover and sticking out 1 1/4" on inside to make sure Cover doesn't spin and unscrew. :)

Paul 

I mean it looks like the front is higher. The back should be higher so that the skirt doesn't catch the wind (think Marilyn Monroe)

BTW I noticed your signature has GPS distance. I wouldn't go with GPS distance due to the lack of precision with GPS tracklogs. Without WAAS you're getting maybe 10 feet precision, so you could drive in a perfectly straight line but have deviations in the track points, creating a crooked tracklog. The distance of a crooked line is greater than the straight line, so end up with an innacurate distance and MPG calculation. 

I mean it looks like the front is higher. The back should be higher so that the skirt doesn't catch the wind (think Marilyn Monroe)

BTW I noticed your signature has GPS distance. I wouldn't go with GPS distance due to the lack of precision with GPS tracklogs. Without WAAS you're getting maybe 10 feet precision, so you could drive in a perfectly straight line but have deviations in the track points, creating a crooked tracklog. The distance of a crooked line is greater than the straight line, so end up with an innacurate distance and MPG calculation. 

I think we have some confusion here, I believe you are referring to wheel well cover which may not be perfectly parallel with the ground, but close enough. BTW I did bevel the edges to improve aero.  Yesterday I went 140 mi. on I-85, I-285 and GA400 to Alpharetta and back. I averaged about 53 mpg for the trip and 54.1mpg/750mi. on tank. My first tank with no mods I got 47mpg so it would look like I've gained 7mpg with all my mods. :)  Concerning GPS distance I checked a pretty straight section of I-40 for 400 mi. odometer and GPS gave 408.8 miles or 1.022%.  When tread is worn down I have seen as low as 1.014% off, always more miles than odometer. :)   Given your example the GPS value should be smaller than odometer I would think. :headscratch:  

Paul

For snows, you can go with 215/55-17 on 17x7.5, 47 or 48 offset, chosen for perfect fender clearance.   For comparison, OEM size is 225/50-17 on 17x7, 55 offset.

You might want snow tires in the slightly narrower 215/55-17 size, and these fit great.  Just make sure your offset is 47 or 48, NOT the original 55, to ensure they don't rub the outside fenders as smaller offset wheels may do.

It actually raises the car up by about 1/4", and the tires look like they fit in there even better than the OEM tires/wheels.

790L9wO.jpgTPduCXP.jpg2cVlg6Y.jpg8V7JqKD.jpg

I think we have some confusion here, I believe you are referring to wheel well cover which may not be perfectly parallel with the ground, but close enough. BTW I did bevel the edges to improve aero.  Yesterday I went 140 mi. on I-85, I-285 and GA400 to Alpharetta and back. I averaged about 53 mpg for the trip and 54.1mpg/750mi. on tank. My first tank with no mods I got 47mpg so it would look like I've gained 7mpg with all my mods. :)  Concerning GPS distance I checked a pretty straight section of I-40 for 400 mi. odometer and GPS gave 408.8 miles or 1.022%.  When tread is worn down I have seen as low as 1.014% off, always more miles than odometer. :)   Given your example the GPS value should be smaller than odometer I would think. :headscratch:  

Paul

The GPS number is usually higher than the actual distance traveled because the calculated position "wanders". For example if you stand in one spot and let the GPS collect points, they will drift around you, and you'll end up with a distance logged even though you were standing still

At one job I had we were mapping roads with GPS tracklogs, and what we had to do was manually draw a centerline between the points, because the points were never in a straight line

The GPS number is usually higher than the actual distance traveled because the calculated position "wanders". For example if you stand in one spot and let the GPS collect points, they will drift around you, and you'll end up with a distance logged even though you were standing still

At one job I had we were mapping roads with GPS tracklogs, and what we had to do was manually draw a centerline between the points, because the points were never in a straight line

I don't believe this would matter, because it would be averaged out on a long trip. I talked to Garmin which they did say that GPS is alot more accurate than a automotive odometer.  The support person said they do have info internally, but can't release it publicly. ;)  Maybe a legal thing.  I see a difference between new tires and old on my Garmin nuvi 765T.

Paul

• 9 months later...

I know there are some posts on this forum about this.  I remember someone looking at Focus wheels too. 

I used Plasti-Dip on my wheels and made them black.    I know of at least a few others that has done this.  

If you can live with the factory wheels?  Plasti-dip is a great alternative, I did mine and they hold up real well