Custom Search

Welcome to the C-MAX Hybrid Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the C-MAX Hybrid Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Here's some member benefits:
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create photo albums and post images. . .more!
Click here to create an account now

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Hybrid Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo
- - - - -

Wheels

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   78Pinto

78Pinto

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 13 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • LocationWisconsin
  • My C-MAX's Year:2014
  • Current Vehicle:78 Pinto

Posted 16 May 2016 - 09:25 PM

Has anyone put different wheels on their C-Max? My wife wants chrome wheels, possibility Focus Titanium.

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   livesmith

livesmith

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 83 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationWestern NY
  • My C-MAX's Year:2013
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max Energi with Pano Roof

Posted 17 May 2016 - 07:55 AM

I've got a set of Taurus wheels for my snow tires.

#3 OFFLINE   scottwood2

scottwood2

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 577 posts
  • LocationMetro Detroit
  • Current Vehicle:2014 C-Max SE, 202A, Winter Package

Posted 17 May 2016 - 08:34 AM

I know there are some posts on this forum about this.  I remember someone looking at Focus wheels too. 

I used Plasti-Dip on my wheels and made them black.    I know of at least a few others that has done this.  

C Max 2014 0920 1628 001

• obob likes this

#4 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Platinum Member
  • 3,611 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • LocationNewnan, GA
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-MAX SEL

Posted 18 May 2016 - 12:19 PM

I wish someone made Solid Dish Wheels to make the car more aerodynamic. :headscratch: Curious, I had a 73 Pinto Wagon. LOL :)

Paul

• obob likes this

#5 OFFLINE   78Pinto

78Pinto

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 13 posts
  • LocationWisconsin
  • Current Vehicle:78 Pinto

Posted 21 May 2016 - 07:17 AM

You dont have your Pinto wagon any more? I bought mine new 37 years ago in July! Come to Ford Nationals in Carlisle PA

the first weekend in June to see lots more.

#6 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

C-Max Hybrid Member

• 3,611 posts
  • LocationNewnan, GA

Posted 21 May 2016 - 08:18 AM

No I don't, but I put headers and dual port manifold on it along with some arrow dynamic aids and was able to get up to 30 miles per gallon with a four speed transmission

#7 OFFLINE   jackalopetx

jackalopetx

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 116 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Plains
  • LocationAustin, TX
  • My C-MAX's Year:2016
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max

Posted 22 May 2016 - 11:44 PM

I wish someone made Solid Dish Wheels to make the car more aerodynamic. :headscratch: Curious, I had a 73 Pinto Wagon. LOL :)

Paul

You can buy steel wheels and put aerodynamic hubcaps on them. But the steelies are 25lb http://www.tirerack....&autoModClar=SE

#8 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

C-Max Hybrid Member

• 3,611 posts
  • LocationNewnan, GA

Posted 23 May 2016 - 08:41 AM

Wheel well cover

Here is my solution for now. DIYS LEXAN Wheel Covers. :)

Paul

#9 OFFLINE   jackalopetx

jackalopetx

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 116 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 23 May 2016 - 09:00 AM

Here is my solution for now. DIYS LEXAN Wheel Covers. :)

Paul

Are they slanted? It looks like they would catch the wind

#10 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

C-Max Hybrid Member

• 3,611 posts
  • LocationNewnan, GA

Posted 23 May 2016 - 11:17 AM

1/8" Covers don't stick out as far as tires and I have 1/8" foam insulation tape under LEXAN to seal the wheel.  Easy to take off and on. Also have 1/4" plastic screw going through Cover and sticking out 1 1/4" on inside to make sure Cover doesn't spin and unscrew. :) 

Paul 

#11 OFFLINE   jackalopetx

jackalopetx

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 116 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 23 May 2016 - 02:46 PM

1/8" Covers don't stick out as far as tires and I have 1/8" foam insulation tape under LEXAN to seal the wheel.  Easy to take off and on. Also have 1/4" plastic screw going through Cover and sticking out 1 1/4" on inside to make sure Cover doesn't spin and unscrew. :)

Paul 

I mean it looks like the front is higher. The back should be higher so that the skirt doesn't catch the wind (think Marilyn Monroe)

BTW I noticed your signature has GPS distance. I wouldn't go with GPS distance due to the lack of precision with GPS tracklogs. Without WAAS you're getting maybe 10 feet precision, so you could drive in a perfectly straight line but have deviations in the track points, creating a crooked tracklog. The distance of a crooked line is greater than the straight line, so end up with an innacurate distance and MPG calculation. 

• C-MaxSea likes this

#12 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

C-Max Hybrid Member

• 3,611 posts
  • LocationNewnan, GA

Posted 23 May 2016 - 04:16 PM

I mean it looks like the front is higher. The back should be higher so that the skirt doesn't catch the wind (think Marilyn Monroe)

BTW I noticed your signature has GPS distance. I wouldn't go with GPS distance due to the lack of precision with GPS tracklogs. Without WAAS you're getting maybe 10 feet precision, so you could drive in a perfectly straight line but have deviations in the track points, creating a crooked tracklog. The distance of a crooked line is greater than the straight line, so end up with an innacurate distance and MPG calculation. 

I think we have some confusion here, I believe you are referring to wheel well cover which may not be perfectly parallel with the ground, but close enough. BTW I did bevel the edges to improve aero.  Yesterday I went 140 mi. on I-85, I-285 and GA400 to Alpharetta and back. I averaged about 53 mpg for the trip and 54.1mpg/750mi. on tank. My first tank with no mods I got 47mpg so it would look like I've gained 7mpg with all my mods. :)  Concerning GPS distance I checked a pretty straight section of I-40 for 400 mi. odometer and GPS gave 408.8 miles or 1.022%.  When tread is worn down I have seen as low as 1.014% off, always more miles than odometer. :)   Given your example the GPS value should be smaller than odometer I would think. :headscratch:  

Paul

#13 OFFLINE   MaxHeadroom

MaxHeadroom

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 117 posts
  • Region:U.S. Mountain
  • LocationFt. Collins
  • My C-MAX's Year:2015
  • Current Vehicle:2015 Ford CMax

Posted 24 May 2016 - 07:54 AM

For snows, you can go with 215/55-17 on 17x7.5, 47 or 48 offset, chosen for perfect fender clearance.   For comparison, OEM size is 225/50-17 on 17x7, 55 offset.
You might want snow tires in the slightly narrower 215/55-17 size, and these fit great.  Just make sure your offset is 47 or 48, NOT the original 55, to ensure they don't rub the outside fenders as smaller offset wheels may do.
It actually raises the car up by about 1/4", and the tires look like they fit in there even better than the OEM tires/wheels.

790L9wO.jpgTPduCXP.jpg2cVlg6Y.jpg8V7JqKD.jpg

#14 OFFLINE   jackalopetx

jackalopetx

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 116 posts
  • LocationAustin, TX

Posted 24 May 2016 - 10:30 AM

I think we have some confusion here, I believe you are referring to wheel well cover which may not be perfectly parallel with the ground, but close enough. BTW I did bevel the edges to improve aero.  Yesterday I went 140 mi. on I-85, I-285 and GA400 to Alpharetta and back. I averaged about 53 mpg for the trip and 54.1mpg/750mi. on tank. My first tank with no mods I got 47mpg so it would look like I've gained 7mpg with all my mods. :)  Concerning GPS distance I checked a pretty straight section of I-40 for 400 mi. odometer and GPS gave 408.8 miles or 1.022%.  When tread is worn down I have seen as low as 1.014% off, always more miles than odometer. :)   Given your example the GPS value should be smaller than odometer I would think. :headscratch:  

Paul

The GPS number is usually higher than the actual distance traveled because the calculated position "wanders". For example if you stand in one spot and let the GPS collect points, they will drift around you, and you'll end up with a distance logged even though you were standing still

At one job I had we were mapping roads with GPS tracklogs, and what we had to do was manually draw a centerline between the points, because the points were never in a straight line

• C-MaxSea likes this

#15 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

C-Max Hybrid Member

• 3,611 posts
  • LocationNewnan, GA

Posted 24 May 2016 - 04:56 PM

The GPS number is usually higher than the actual distance traveled because the calculated position "wanders". For example if you stand in one spot and let the GPS collect points, they will drift around you, and you'll end up with a distance logged even though you were standing still

At one job I had we were mapping roads with GPS tracklogs, and what we had to do was manually draw a centerline between the points, because the points were never in a straight line

I don't believe this would matter, because it would be averaged out on a long trip. I talked to Garmin which they did say that GPS is alot more accurate than a automotive odometer.  The support person said they do have info internally, but can't release it publicly. ;)  Maybe a legal thing.  I see a difference between new tires and old on my Garmin nuvi 765T.

Paul

#16 OFFLINE   mtb9153

mtb9153

Brother Mike (a.k.a. mtb9153)

• 1,553 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationS.F. South Bay Area, Ca.
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max SEL with 303A, with Panoramic window using GasPods on the roof, born 9/9/12

Posted 30 May 2016 - 07:06 PM

I really like this wheel www.hrewheels.com/wheels/forged, however at a cost $1500 per wheel it will never be found on Maxius.  My Plasti-dip coating will have to do.

Edited by mtb9153, 30 May 2016 - 07:12 PM.

#17 OFFLINE   mtb9153

mtb9153

Brother Mike (a.k.a. mtb9153)

• 1,553 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationS.F. South Bay Area, Ca.
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max SEL with 303A, with Panoramic window using GasPods on the roof, born 9/9/12

Posted 13 March 2017 - 11:12 PM

I know there are some posts on this forum about this.  I remember someone looking at Focus wheels too. 

I used Plasti-Dip on my wheels and made them black.    I know of at least a few others that has done this.  

If you can live with the factory wheels?  Plasti-dip is a great alternative, I did mine and they hold up real well

Custom Search

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·