TPMS TirePressure sensor Activation when new Wheels

MaxHeadroom

What has been your experience putting new wheels with new tire sensors on your CMax?

I got TireRack.com wheels with tires already mounted on them through UPS.  Then I put'em on the car.

The TPMS sensors automatically worked!   I expected some kind of semi-convoluted jumping through hoops to get the new wheels with new TPMS sensors "registered" with the car's computers.

Instead, everything just worked.  I got no "sensor missing" warning, surprisingly.  So I went to the gas station and let the air out of a tire to test to see if the tire warning came on, and it did, properly sensing the low pressure tire.  Test passed.

Other experiences I've had with an '07 BMW required telling the computer about the event of getting new TPMS sensors.

Other things I've heard of on the web describe a multi-step process, many times using special tools (that TireRack.com tried to sell me when I bought the tire-wheel set BTW!!!).

I follow the procedure in the link so that when I rotate tires and then monitor tire pressure via the obdii port with an appropriate APP, the sensor name and PID match.  I then know which tire may need air.  Also, I don't have to fiddle around with a tire pressure gauge on each wheel trying to balance pressure when temperatures change.

Makes sense.  My previous car, an '11 Camaro, would display on the dash each tire's PSI reading, position dependent of course, and you had to tell the computer which sensor was where.

I will have to check out the OBDII app.  I have experience with a ScanGauge basic stand-alone OBDII reader, but didn't know tire pressure could be read by anything.

Which OBDII app do you like?  Do you ELM327-bluetooth it, or use a cord?  Seems bluetooth is better here.  Which model of ELM327 or other kind did you use?

(Side note:  I almost bought a BMW-specific app that hooked up to the OBDII port to register the battery, no kidding, you have to go through an on-board computer to describe your new battery to the car and tell it you're putting in a new one.  No other car I know of makes you jump through that hoop.  BMW got lazy with their own battery detection algorithms.)

When replacing tires is there anything special that needs to be done with respects to the TPMS.  It used to be when you replace tires you get a new valve stem which was a pretty small expense.  How often do the rubber parts need to be replaced?

Makes sense.  My previous car, an '11 Camaro, would display on the dash each tire's PSI reading, position dependent of course, and you had to tell the computer which sensor was where.

I will have to check out the OBDII app.  I have experience with a ScanGauge basic stand-alone OBDII reader, but didn't know tire pressure could be read by anything.

Which OBDII app do you like?  Do you ELM327-bluetooth it, or use a cord?  Seems bluetooth is better here.  Which model of ELM327 or other kind did you use?

(Side note:  I almost bought a BMW-specific app that hooked up to the OBDII port to register the battery, no kidding, you have to go through an on-board computer to describe your new battery to the car and tell it you're putting in a new one.  No other car I know of makes you jump through that hoop.  BMW got lazy with their own battery detection algorithms.)

Go to ForScan.org I have both a Bluetooth and WiFi adapter.  Bluetooth seems more stable but I don't know why occasionally I lose connection with both.  It could be the App. I must either restart the scan of the module and other times I have to reconnect the adapter. The only time it's an issue is if I am recording data. 

When replacing tires is there anything special that needs to be done with respects to the TPMS.  It used to be when you replace tires you get a new valve stem which was a pretty small expense.  How often do the rubber parts need to be replaced?

TPMS sensors last 7-12 years in service, usually a battery life issue with them.

The old sensor just attaches to the end of the brass part on the new valve stem.

se59500-front.jpg

which is an example from O'Reilly Autoparts, $7 each, ( VDO brand Part # SE59500) made with the brass extension which goes into the Sensor part.

You only need to replace the sensor itself every 7 years or so (or at least replace the battery inside it, if it's not sealed up, and if the battery lasts that long, and it should....! ).

Here's a picture of the complete Motorcraft (Ford) unit DE8T-1A180-AA 9L3T-1A180-AE:

41XHTRvfP8L.jpg

And TireRack.com only says we might replace the stems, and of course re-use the sensor part.

It would be nice to throw in a new button battery at each tire change, but I think these units are welded shut and won't let us.

K2286IE.jpg

Edited by MaxHeadroom

Go to ForScan.org I have both a Bluetooth and WiFi adapter.  Bluetooth seems more stable but I don't know why occasionally I lose connection with both.  It could be the App. I must either restart the scan of the module and other times I have to reconnect the adapter. The only time it's an issue is if I am recording data. 

Cool!  I did find the "supported adapters" listed on Forscan's website:

Supported adapters :

• ELM327
  • J2534 Pass-Thru
  • CANtieCAR (in "FORScan" mode)
  • OBDLink SX/MX (STN11xx)
  • ELS27 (STN1170)

I've heard to just avoid Chinese pirated cloned cheap ELM327 adapters for something that works right.  You can always tell they are using pirated internal machine code when the pirates claim to have 'version 1.5', and ELM Electronics never released a 1.5 version!

What brand of ELM327 device are you using?  There are a lot of cheap ones out there.  I see BAFX Products claims to be a quality one for a little more $$.

I'll try the Goliath Industry OBDII Bluetooth adapter, $13 on Amazon.  Seems the other cheaper ones might not work at all.  Goliath works with the popular Torque app, so they claim.  Should work with ForScan I'd guess, we'll see.

Edited by MaxHeadroom

Cool!  I did find the "supported adapters" listed on Forscan's website:

Supported adapters :

• ELM327
  • J2534 Pass-Thru
  • CANtieCAR (in "FORScan" mode)
  • OBDLink SX/MX (STN11xx)
  • ELS27 (STN1170)

I've heard to just avoid Chinese pirated cloned cheap ELM327 adapters for something that works right.  You can always tell they are using pirated internal machine code when the pirates claim to have 'version 1.5', and ELM Electronics never released a 1.5 version!

What brand of ELM327 device are you using?  There are a lot of cheap ones out there.  I see BAFX Products claims to be a quality one for a little more $$.

I'll try the Goliath Industry OBDII Bluetooth adapter, $13 on Amazon.  Seems the other cheaper ones might not work at all.  Goliath works with the popular Torque app, so they claim.  Should work with ForScan I'd guess, we'll see.

A $13 adapter will be a Chinese clone.  A real ELM327 chip alone is around $25, so the adapter will be even more.  But some of the clones work fine.

OBDLink MX are very good but not cheap.  They include:

• Fast communications for very good refresh rates
  • Built in electronic HS-CAN to MS-CAN switch
  • Security so you can leave the adapter plugged in and not worry about someone taking control of your car.

http://fordcmaxenergiforum.com/topic/4763-forscan-and-dash-command/?p=38026

A $13 adapter will be a Chinese clone.  A real ELM327 chip alone is around $25, so the adapter will be even more.  But some of the clones work fine.

OBDLink MX are very good but not cheap.  They include:

• Fast communications for very good refresh rates
  • Built in electronic HS-CAN to MS-CAN switch
  • Security so you can leave the adapter plugged in and not worry about someone taking control of your car.

http://fordcmaxenergiforum.com/topic/4763-forscan-and-dash-command/?p=38026

I agree, the "Goliath" one I almost got on Amazon.com was the $13 item, and I immediately cancelled my order when I got a funny feeling it might be a Chinese clone. ....  There were other ones as cheap as $6, tempting to try, but probably not worth the hassle & frustration when they don't work right.  There are a lot of cheap pirate clones around, from checking out the Amazon.com site and googling.  Caveat Emptor, right??!!

So, I am actually getting the BAFX Products one, for $21, out of Minnesota, seems quality enough, which user 'Plus 3 Golfer' (above) said works OK with ForScan, which I'll get, and maybe the popular Torque app too later.  

Then I'll look for a Samsung (Android) Galaxy S7 mount for the car to see the gauges while driving.  Better than the old ScanGauge.

Your feature of "Security so you can leave the adapter plugged in and not worry about someone taking control of your car." may not be a problem if it's just Bluetooth, with incredibly limited range, not like longer-range WiFi.

Get the Ram X-Grip with the larger suction cup and extension arm (I think it's 3 ").  Stick to bottom of side window and extend just to the left / behind the steering wheel.  Easy to see and operate smartphone from that position.  

Only drawback is when paying tolls.  You'll need to twist to unlock suction pressure and lift rubber tab of side bottom of mount to pull off window.  I was thinking of mounting it on the small window between the side and front windshield but would need the 6" arm.   It took several times of running the mount into the window frame for me to "remember" to remove the mount before opening window.  The mount isn't fazed but I was afraid I might damage the window track / mechanism.  In addition unless you have an extra long charger cable, you need to disconnect the cable from the smartphone before opening the door.

Ram stuff is not cheap but it's high quality and won't come off window.

I've been really happy with my ProClip mount. I have the one that attaches between the MFT and the climate control, towards the passenger side, and that seems to be a great placement. I have a Nexus 6P, which is a "phablet" (basically the same size of the iPhone 6 Plus) and the phone sits in a position where it does not block any controls, or my view of the MFT screen. If I decided I wanted run Forscan frequently, I might buy a ProClip mount that attaches to the pillar between the small triangular window and the driver's window.

The ProClip mounts are also somewhat expensive, particular since you buy the base (the part that attaches to the car) and the mount you place your cell phone in separately. The advantage, though, is that they are very secure, both in how they attach to the car and how they hold your phone. While they "permanent" mounts, they are easy to install (just takes a few minutes) and to remove.

Here's a few pics of the Ram system.

(see above posts for actual pics)

Great pictures.  I'm thinking about starting a new thread with my whole (successful) experience recently with BADFX Products ELM327-OBDII-to-bluetooth, ForScan, & Torque OBDII apps on an Android Samsung Galaxy 5 with a left-side window suction mount.  It all works great, confirming.  Just to present it all maybe for anyone else doing what Pro 3 Golfer & others have done.  Useful, interesting to see grill shutter positions, other cool stuff, and geeky fun too.

same here. I put new summer rims with the stock michelins on mine, and also got them from TireRack, with the TPMS sensors installed, didn't have to do anything for the monitors. never threw a code or anything. 

Yes, surprising it was that easy.  I called a couple of service advisers at Ford dealerships, and they insisted I needed to "train" the C-Max's computer, but if we don't care about telling the C-Max which position the tires are in, we still get desired TPMS low pressure warnings which is the goal.  TireRack.com customer service thought I HAD to BUY all their expensive-ish accesories to 'train' the C-Max to accept the new TPMS sensors, glad I turned them down (buyer caveat).

What rims did you get?  I got weird, picked up some wheels on half-off sales at TireRack, different on diff sides of car!  Some thought I was nuts, but it works, nobody has noticed.  Wrote up at http://fordcmaxhybridforum.com/topic/6009-fun-diff-wheels-mounted-left-to-right-who-will-notice/

Edited by MaxHeadroom