2016 Prius has best mpg in ConsumerReports test

djc

Major improvement over 2010-2015 Model.  52 mpg overall in new model compared to 44 mpg for older model Prius in CR tests.  CR tests are done with a flow meter installed in fuel line and car driven on test track and highway; different from EPA tests which, as I understand it, can use simulated driving.  CR usually gets lower mpg numbers than EPA.

"On our city course, the 2016 Prius returned 43 mpg, a stunning 11 mpg improvement over the old version. At 65 mph highway cruising, we measured 59 mpg—which is better fuel economy than any diesel-engined car we’ve tested."

Article:

http://www.consumerreports.org/prius/toyota-prius-52-mpg/

Major improvement over 2010-2015 Model.  52 mpg overall in new model compared to 44 mpg for older model Prius in CR tests.  CR tests are done with a flow meter installed in fuel line and car driven on test track and highway; different from EPA tests which, as I understand it, can use simulated driving.  CR usually gets lower mpg numbers than EPA.

"On our city course, the 2016 Prius returned 43 mpg, a stunning 11 mpg improvement over the old version. At 65 mph highway cruising, we measured 59 mpg—which is better fuel economy than any diesel-engined car we’ve tested."

Article:

http://www.consumerreports.org/prius/toyota-prius-52-mpg/

Well, that is what dropping 600 lbs off a car and using a smaller engine will do for you. My Energi is 860 lbs heavier; the Hybrid is 600. Ford wasn't going for the mileage so much as the ability to use an existing platform and have a comfortable driving experience and ride. I've driven Prius, and I think the Ford is a better car all around. Plus, it is really easy to get in and out of.

Edited by stevedebi

Good reminder Steve, we will always favor the 'all-around' item (as in C-Max here, by far), over the 'one trick pony' (Prius).

((Just try to get a couple bikes, wheel barrow, load of goods from the big box store in that Priiii, not to mention a medium to tall person in the rear seat))

(((Impressive 'highway' mpg, to be sure)))

Edited by C-MaxSea

There was an initial (and tepid) marketing strategy to promote the C-max as a "Prius killer", but Toyota's version has always gone farther on a gallon of gas.    I have ridden in several Prius taxis and don't really have a strong opinion about them, other than my usually complaint against Toyota---which is an overdose of blandness.

Good reminder Steve, we will always favor the 'all-around' item (as in C-Max here, by far), over the 'one trick pony' (Prius).

((Just try to get a couple bikes, wheel barrow, load of goods from the big box store in that Priiii, not to mention a medium to tall person in the rear seat))

(((Impressive 'highway' mpg, to be sure)))

Well, the Prius does have the "V" model, which is more like a station wagon. At least they had it last year, I'm not sure if they kept it for 2017.

Anyway, that one can definitely out carry a C-Max.

Well, the Prius does have the "V" model, which is more like a station wagon. At least they had it last year, I'm not sure if they kept it for 2017.

Anyway, that one can definitely out carry a C-Max.

Perhaps so Steve, but I'm not sure of their interior vertical clearance - big stuff ?.  Anyway, the 'V' is so far off the ugly (& perhaps handling) scale as not to matter (JMHO). :giggle:  :giggle:  :giggle:     (((And it definitely is not in the 59 mpg's range of the article posted.)))

Eschewing sedans forever,

Nick

Edited by C-MaxSea

Perhaps so Steve, but I'm not sure of their interior vertical clearance - big stuff ?.  Anyway, the 'V' is so far off the ugly (& perhaps handling) scale as not to matter (JMHO). :giggle:  :giggle:  :giggle:     (((And it definitely is not in the 59 mpg's range of the article posted.)))

Nick

I think the Prius V looks better than the C-Max. It's sleek and has that ducktail spoiler that gives it some sportiness, plus the back window is vertical so it has more usable space. 

But it also has very little if any sound insulation, so it's a noisy car and you hear all the traffic and road noise. The C-Max is similar to the Volvo wagon I had, built more like a luxury vehicle

... but I'm not sure of their interior vertical clearance - big stuff ?. ...

In 2013 I sat in a Prius V and Prius.  Didn't bother test driving because the headroom was unsafe for me.  Totyota doesn't try to satisfy people that need headroom, instead they go sacrifice them for a car that weighs less and has less air friction.  Prius C was more comfy and its highway MPG indicates so. (still not enough headroom for more)

Toyota may have the right idea in some respect - seeing how the C-Max is being discontinued.

I wonder about the improvement to highway MPG if the C-Max had a inch taken off the net height.

ever wonder why a highway is called a highway ?    http://www.herebeanswers.com/2010/10/road-links-two-cities-called-highway.html

Nick

I agree with the "ugly" factor. I drove the V when I was shopping, and it is too bus like for my taste. I didn't like the Prius driving experience on any of the models. Funny story though, my wife shopped the Prius C before settling on the VW Passat TDI. I reset the MPG meter before the drive, and after a few minutes, the salesman said I was the only one where he had actually seen more than 50 MPG during a test drive.

In 2013 I sat in a Prius V and Prius.  Didn't bother test driving because the headroom was unsafe for me.  Totyota doesn't try to satisfy people that need headroom, instead they go sacrifice them for a car that weighs less and has less air friction.  Prius C was more comfy and its highway MPG indicates so. (still not enough headroom for more)

Toyota may have the right idea in some respect - seeing how the C-Max is being discontinued.

I wonder about the improvement to highway MPG if the C-Max had a inch taken off the net height.

ever wonder why a highway is called a highway ?    http://www.herebeanswers.com/2010/10/road-links-two-cities-called-highway.html

I think the main problem is weight, not cD, although both hurt.

Lowering the height of the C-Max one inch would reduce frontal area and may or may not change Cd.  Assume it reduces the height 1.5% - and the frontal area by 1.5%.  So the aerodynamic drag force would be reduced by 1.5%.  This might lower the total drag force on the car by 1/2 that or 0.75% on average.  FE would increase by likely no more than that 0.75% - a relatively small amount.  

Now reduce the weight of the C-Max by about 20% and you'll get a noticeable increase in FE.

The Prius is a great car if you're looking only for efficiency in a car.  Mine was a very soft riding car, that felt kind of lifeless to drive.  My new C Max has been a really nice step up for the interior and the driving experience, but the prius got better mpg's.  There's no taking that away from it.  The 2016 Prius gets even better mileage, but I would not want to drive a car that looks like that.