Custom Search

Welcome to the C-MAX Hybrid Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the C-MAX Hybrid Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Here's some member benefits:
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create photo albums and post images. . .more!
Click here to create an account now

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Hybrid Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo

I don't use Eco Mode

• Please log in to reply
55 replies to this topic

#21 OFFLINE   Bill-N

Bill-N

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 621 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationConnecticut
  • My C-MAX's Color:Ice Storm
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max SEL

Posted 31 May 2016 - 12:39 PM

The top speed is higher than 90 mph, I think I have gone 95 mph ...

Been there, done that.  And didn't have the pedal-to-the-metal.

• ptjones likes this

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#22 OFFLINE   Adrian_L

Adrian_L

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 675 posts
  • Region:Canada British Columbia
  • LocationVancouver, BC
  • My C-MAX's Year:2013
  • My C-MAX's Color:Tuxedo Black
  • Current Vehicle:2013 SEL

Posted 31 May 2016 - 02:54 PM

I agree with obob.  It's good that we have these options and different drivers will have different preferences.    I do sometimes wonder "why did you buy a C-max"? when I read that people want to drive 85 mph on the highway or drive aggressively in traffic.    You use a hammer to pound a nail, not a screwdriver.

#23 OFFLINE   SnowStorm

SnowStorm

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 704 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • LocationVirginia
  • My C-MAX's Color:White Platinum
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max SE

Posted 31 May 2016 - 03:38 PM

What they should have added was a mode to use up the battery charge (similar to what the Energi has) so you can hit the top of a twisty mountain road with minimum SOC.  Then you have room for regen on the way down.  The way it is now, you go up a twisty road at low speed, the full ICE capacity isn't needed so it charges all the way up leaving you no room for regen on the way down.  It can be very frustrating in mountain driving, manually trying to hit a low SOC at the top, especially if you don't know the road or have traffic behind you.  This "prius mode" seems useless to me - I doubt it is "less aggressive" about HVAC control than I am already.  I bet it was added by the marketing folks because there are buyers out there that think it is a standard "feature" of a hybrid.

• ptjones likes this

#24 OFFLINE   stevedebi

stevedebi

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 840 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationLA
  • My C-MAX's Year:2014
  • Current Vehicle:2014 C-Max Energi

Posted 31 May 2016 - 06:35 PM

What they should have added was a mode to use up the battery charge (similar to what the Energi has) so you can hit the top of a twisty mountain road with minimum SOC.  Then you have room for regen on the way down.  The way it is now, you go up a twisty road at low speed, the full ICE capacity isn't needed so it charges all the way up leaving you no room for regen on the way down.  It can be very frustrating in mountain driving, manually trying to hit a low SOC at the top, especially if you don't know the road or have traffic behind you.  This "prius mode" seems useless to me - I doubt it is "less aggressive" about HVAC control than I am already.  I bet it was added by the marketing folks because there are buyers out there that think it is a standard "feature" of a hybrid.

I don't know of any such mode in the Energi. We have an easier time, because there is 5.6 KWH in the battery, so the Energi is more likely to have room to regen.

However, on the highway, in what is called EV Later, from what I can tell the Energi drives exactly like the hybrid. If you want to lose SOC on the uphill, you have to do it yourself.

#25 OFFLINE   Adrian_L

Adrian_L

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 675 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 31 May 2016 - 07:50 PM

Being able to turn off the HVB charging (going uphill) just to have the satisfaction of charging it going downhill doesn't seem to be worth the effort, in my opinion.

#26 OFFLINE   jestevens

jestevens

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 121 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania
  • Current Vehicle:C-MAX SEL Hybrid

Posted 01 June 2016 - 06:38 AM

Hmm, well mine used to be a fleet vehicle, it was originally programmed to always have the headlights on ALL the time (like a motorcycle) so maybe they also programmed it to limit the speed.  I got them to unprogram the headlights but I didn't know about the speed limit.  I don't think I'm going to worry about it, with the traffic around here the way it is I can't imagine that I would really need to go that fast anyway.

#27 OFFLINE   jestevens

jestevens

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 121 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 01 June 2016 - 06:41 AM

I did regen from coming back down off a mountain last night and it was beautiful, I think I went about 45-50MPH over a slightly sloped road at the base of the mountain purely on electric for at least a mile or so afterward.  Really nice summer night with the windows rolled down and the engine not running, crusing through the country.

• ptjones, markd and brbevil like this

#28 OFFLINE   stevedebi

stevedebi

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 840 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationLA
  • Current Vehicle:2014 C-Max Energi

Posted 01 June 2016 - 11:00 AM

Being able to turn off the HVB charging (going uphill) just to have the satisfaction of charging it going downhill doesn't seem to be worth the effort, in my opinion.

Well, you can't do that with the Energi, can it be done with the hybrid?

#29 OFFLINE   Adrian_L

Adrian_L

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 675 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 01 June 2016 - 11:53 AM

You can't.   Snowstorm was advocating for a button where the HVB doesn't get charged, so he could have an empty battery at the top of a hill.

#30 OFFLINE   jackalopetx

jackalopetx

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 96 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Plains
  • LocationAustin, TX
  • My C-MAX's Year:2016
  • My C-MAX's Color:Oxford White
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max

Posted 01 June 2016 - 02:34 PM

I agree with obob.  It's good that we have these options and different drivers will have different preferences.    I do sometimes wonder "why did you buy a C-max"? when I read that people want to drive 85 mph on the highway or drive aggressively in traffic.    You use a hammer to pound a nail, not a screwdriver.

Probably because you get good gas mileage even if you drive 85mph and you also benefit from a car that is relatively quiet. What car is better for cruising efficiently at 85mph? Possibly the Lexus hybrid hatchback

By driving aggressively in traffic I take it you mean accelerating quickly. That's just safe driving. Being hesitant or accelerating slowly can cause traffic and slowdowns. The electric motor torque makes the C-Max good for that.... As long as you turn off "Eco Mode" or "Eco Select" or whatever it's called

Edited by jackalopetx, 01 June 2016 - 02:35 PM.

#31 OFFLINE   Adrian_L

Adrian_L

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 675 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 01 June 2016 - 05:13 PM

Um........no--accelerating quickly is not safe driving.  You tend to tailgate more, you have less reaction time to sudden emergencies (like the guy who doesn't see you because you're accelerating quickly when he wants to change lanes).   Obviously driving like a slug is not good either.

My only point is that the C-max isn't a sports car--so to drive it like one simply defeats one of the two main reasons to buy one---fuel economy and a comfortable, quite ride.

#32 OFFLINE   Plus 3 Golfer

Plus 3 Golfer

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 1,664 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • LocationTN
  • Current Vehicle:2013

Posted 01 June 2016 - 05:29 PM

...  I do sometimes wonder "why did you buy a C-max"? when I read that people want to drive 85 mph on the highway ...  You use a hammer to pound a nail, not a screwdriver.

It matters not what vehicle I drive.  Let me tell you "why".

I drive 85 mph in TX to save time (80 mph speed limit) and generally 80 mph when the speed limit is 75 and so forth whether in my C-Max or in other cars I own / owned - Passat, Jetta, Maxima, C280, Rogue.  The additional speed on a 2000+ mile cross country trip saves over 2 1/2 hours of driving time and allows me to save one night of lodging on the cross country trip.  Whether when driving the C-Max I get near 40 mpg or 27 mpg in the Passat or 42 in the Jetta TDi, the vehicle or my FE is not material to how fast I drive across country. ;)  :)

#33 OFFLINE   raadsel

raadsel

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 493 posts
  • Region:U.S. Mountain
  • LocationHouston, TX
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max SEL

Posted 01 June 2016 - 05:35 PM

It matters not what vehicle I drive.  Let me tell you "why".

I drive 85 mph in TX to save time (80 mph speed limit) and generally 80 mph when the speed limit is 75 and so forth whether in my C-Max or in other cars I own / owned - Passat, Jetta, Maxima, C280, Rogue.  The additional speed on a 2000+ mile cross country trip saves over 2 1/2 hours of driving time and allows me to save one night of lodging on the cross country trip.  Whether when driving the C-Max I get near 40 mpg or 27 mpg in the Passat or 42 in the Jetta TDi, the vehicle or my FE is not material to how fast I drive across country. ;)  :)

Out of curiosity, what kind of mpgs are you getting when you drive at 80 and 85 mph? Also, how does the C-Max handle at those speeds?

#34 OFFLINE   markd

markd

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 361 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • LocationUnited States
  • Current Vehicle:c-max sel

Posted 01 June 2016 - 06:07 PM

I get around 38mpg at 80 to 85 and the car is very stable.

#35 OFFLINE   Adrian_L

Adrian_L

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 675 posts
  • LocationVancouver, BC

Posted 01 June 2016 - 07:41 PM

We're Canadian.  The speed limit on the highway is usually 68 mph (110 km) so driving 85 could get you a hefty fine.  I did drive 85-90 between Vancouver and Calgary to go to a wedding many, many years ago in a Volvo 850.  But I was young and dumb back then.

#36 OFFLINE   markd

markd

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 361 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 01 June 2016 - 08:35 PM

The speed limit is 70 here in Indiana but the fast lane on the interstate runs 80 to 100 the middle lane is 75 to 80 and you get ran over doing less than 70 in the slow lane. I've been well over 120 many times in my youth on 465. I had an Integra that went 140. It isn't uncommon to see cars going that fast on the hiway at here.

Edited by markd, 01 June 2016 - 08:36 PM.

• Mamalou16201 likes this

#37 OFFLINE   Kelleytoons

Kelleytoons

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 898 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • Locationcentral Florida
  • Current Vehicle:Maximis

Posted 02 June 2016 - 05:29 AM

Which is fairly crazy.

In my youth, in Nevada (when we had no speed limits on the highways) I drove in excess of 130mph between Vegas and California (once you got over the line you needed to be careful).  And that was insane -- statistics here don't lie, and speeds in excess of 55 promote highway fatalities in almost an algorhymic fashion.

Yes, I'm an old man, but I drive 5mph over whatever the posted limit is and if folks don't like it they can go around me (I do stay in the right lane when possible).

• ptjones likes this

#38 OFFLINE   jestevens

jestevens

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 121 posts
  • LocationPennsylvania

Posted 02 June 2016 - 06:16 AM

I could understand driving fast in the desert because it's -flat- and there's a lot of distance to cover.  Around here the roads haven't kept up with the density of population and demand for goods.  Plus you've got all sorts of folks, some of them not necessarily driving, some want to race, etc.  I guess there are a few times when traffic is lighter but I think going 80MPH for any length of time on a public road around here would greatly increase the chances of an accident.

#39 OFFLINE   markd

markd

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 361 posts
  • LocationUnited States

Posted 02 June 2016 - 06:35 AM

I'm old too and stopped driving like that a long time ago. I use the five mile over rule also. But in my twenties I liked going fast. When I was a teenager I owned a 69 Camero 396 that was very quick, but quick was expensive. My 87 Integra, which was new was very fast. Thankfully I made it through my wreaklesss years!
  • obob likes this

#40 OFFLINE   jackalopetx

jackalopetx

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 96 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Plains
  • LocationAustin, TX
  • My C-MAX's Year:2016
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max

Posted 02 June 2016 - 08:18 AM

Um........no--accelerating quickly is not safe driving.  You tend to tailgate more, you have less reaction time to sudden emergencies (like the guy who doesn't see you because you're accelerating quickly when he wants to change lanes).   Obviously driving like a slug is not good either.

My only point is that the C-max isn't a sports car--so to drive it like one simply defeats one of the two main reasons to buy one---fuel economy and a comfortable, quite ride.

So if you're turning onto a main road and there's a gap in traffic, do you accelerate slowly so that the other cars have to brake for you? What if they aren't paying attention and don't break? Now there's an accident. The cost and energy used to repair the cars is far greater than the fuel savings from driving like a snail

You're thinking in terms of sports car vs non-sports-car when you should be trying to drive as safely as you can. Driving like a senile old person isn't safe driving

Edited by jackalopetx, 02 June 2016 - 08:19 AM.

Custom Search

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·