New C-Max Owner Pleased With Mileage

Trade Wind

Hello C-Max owners and enthusiasts. The information you posted to this forum helped me understand and choose the C-Max.

I bought a Kona Blue 2016 C-Max SEL on two days ago.

Yesterday was my first real trip in the car, not counting the drive home from the dealer. The route from Reston, Virginia to Woodbine, Maryland is about 60 percent interstate highway, with the rest suburban and country roads. I am pleased with the car's 50.2 miles per gallon on the 86-mile round trip.

post-2948-0-41242100-1464569742_thumb.jpg

My wife and I are familiar with hybrid cars. We bought a Honda Civic Hybrid in 2002 and a Toyota Camry Hybrid in 2015.

The C-Max replaces a 2002 Volkswagen Passat station wagon. Almost. It is hard to find an affordable car with the cargo capacity of that Passat. With the seats folded down, the Passat had 77 inches from hatch forward, 39 inches between wheel wells, and a hatch height of 31 inches.

I collect old pinball machines, so I need a lot of flat space in back. The C-Max cargo area is very flat, a big plus. But the C-Max is not quite as large: 61 inches from the hatch forward, 36 inches between wheel wells, and a hatch height of 28 inches (measured from the elevated cargo bed, not the bumper). I haven't loaded a pinball machine yet, but it should fit with an inch or so to spare.

The German word Passat means trade wind, so that is the name I'll use here.

Trade,  Welcome to the fold.

Looks like you are right around the corner from me.  I Live off of rt 7 near wolftrap....

wait until you get some cooler weather when you don't have to use to the heat or AC,  you'll get even better mpgs.  From Wolftrap to G-town on my daily commute  I can average high 40's and the occasional 50 in spring and fall  mid 40's summer and low 40's winter...

Trade,  Welcome to the fold.

Looks like you are right around the corner from me.  I Live off of rt 7 near wolftrap....

wait until you get some cooler weather when you don't have to use to the heat or AC,  you'll get even better mpgs.  From Wolftrap to G-town on my daily commute  I can average high 40's and the occasional 50 in spring and fall  mid 40's summer and low 40's winter...

Cooler weather *sigh*. I'll have to wait until November to see that.

Welcome Trade Wind!  

This site also helped me with my decision to take the plunge and buy my SEL about a month ago.  

Congratulations on your car.  I hope you enjoy it as much as I've been enjoying mine.