PIC of car with 16's

shaners

You are my hero!!  Snow tires for 16" rims cost much less than 17" rims.  So can you be a bit more specific on your rim details?  I was looking at Ford Fusion 16" wheels on Discount Tire website.  They list the rims as 16X7 5-100/114 40SM.  Hate to order the wrong rims.  They have some for as little as $75/rim.  

Being in Colorado, we would also like to follow your trail blazing lead!  Appreciate you sharing all the information!!

I bought this set from Discount tire direct.  I used a 2013 Ford Focus Titanium as my "search" vehicle and then chose the -1 size which is 16".  The wheels are MB wheels (Sprite) 16x7 and the tires are 215/55/16.  The wheels actually have 2 sizes built into them (10 holes).  These ones are 5-115 or 5-108 (I believe it is the 5-108 that we need for our cars) and have a 38sm offset.  The overall diameter is the same as stock with the tires mounted.  I am running 40 psi in them to help with rolling resistance

Just use a 2013 5-door Focus Titanium when you search and it should fit right up!

Edited by shaners

215-55-16 works but it's a little over half an inch smaller in diameter than the factory tire. If they're available and priced right, other sizes might be a better match. For me personally, I'd probably stick with the nearest size (225-55-16) if I was fitting snows on 16" wheels.

Here's a break down of sizes and estimated speedometer errors:

225-50-17 is your factory tire size.

215-55-16 = 13.9 mm (.55 inch) smaller; Speedo 60 when you're going about 58.6 MPH <== this is the tire used in this example.

215-60-16 = 7.6 mm (.28 inch) larger; Speedo 60 when you're going about 61 MPH.

225-55-16 = 2.9 mm (.12 inch) smaller; Speedo 60 when you're going 59.8 MPH

205-60-16 = 4.4 mm (.17 inch) smaller; Speedo 60 when you're going 59.7 MPH

Yep they are a little smaller.   But I bought on price... because I will only be running it a few months out of the year.  You can't beat a Michelin X-ice (3) for winter traction.  My wife will have to adjust her MPG mentally by a few percent.  Also,  BTW,  I didn't have the TPMs sensors intalled in these tires but I have yet to get a light on the dash!