The seats are terrible

jackalopetx

All cars should have better seats.  Its a "crime" that a little more money isn't put into the seats - and that they are so specifically shaped that only the "perfect" body can ever be truly comfortable.  Very few if any "adjustments" actually change the shape.  Back in the '50s we had big comfy seats made with coil springs!  Why?  They adjust to any shape automatically, just like your mattress!  Ever see a mattress made like a car seat - all perfectly contoured to fit the "perfect" body?  Neither have I.  (Seats have been stuck in the "bucket seat" craze of the '60s for decades now - and they're about as comfy as a bucket!)

I thought the SEL seats where more comfortable but didn't want to spend $3k more for other stuff we didn't want.  Noise and ride are important but seat comfort is tops.  Before settling on the C-Max I sat in a competing car for about 30 seconds and my back started to hurt!  I just moved on.  Car makers should put the best seats possible in a car or at least have them as an independent option.

Don't be ridiculous.  Even if the seat was the wrong shape, the worst that would happen is the airbag inflates and breaks the side window.  Or you just don't worry about wiring it in when you install the seat.

Or the shape of the car could cause the airbag to smash your head, or the shape of the airbag allows your head to collide with the A pillar. There's a reason they're specifically designed for each vehicle. Read through the IIHS crash testing reports and you'll see how precisely these things are tailored

Not having side airbags is a bad decision. Side impacts are very likely to be deadly without an airbag

Edited by jackalopetx

I think you're getting carried away.  The original poster wanted to put in an identical or similar ford seat in the passenger seat.  Not a gigantic seat from a semi-truck. 

It is the junkyard scrounging modifier who needs to ask himself if he can live without a side airbag.  My '66 Volvo has no airbags anywhere and I"m happy to drive around risking side impacts without losing too much sleep.

None of the rat rod/custom car/mod hot rod scene would exist without a certain laissez-faire disregard for conservative values.  Please enjoy these values in your own life, but don't impose them on others. 

I think you're getting carried away.  The original poster wanted to put in an identical or similar ford seat in the passenger seat.  Not a gigantic seat from a semi-truck. 

It is the junkyard scrounging modifier who needs to ask himself if he can live without a side airbag.  My '66 Volvo has no airbags anywhere and I"m happy to drive around risking side impacts without losing too much sleep.

None of the rat rod/custom car/mod hot rod scene would exist without a certain laissez-faire disregard for conservative values.  Please enjoy these values in your own life, but don't impose them on others

You misunderstood my post. The shape of the AIRBAG is different and that's why it's dangerous to swap. The airbag is shaped specifically for the car. 

You can drive whatever vehicle you want, your risk of death is much higher without side airbags. Your Volvo is probably 100x as likely to kill you because not only does it have no airbags, it also has no side impact protection, virtually no rollover protection, and no crumple zones. I work in law enforcement, specifically in highway safety analysis, and my professional opinion is that it's stupid to make your car MORE dangerous

• 2 weeks later...

I may trade my C-Max for an F-150. They have great seats 

I have a New F150 XLT 4X4 , 2.7 ECOBoost with two electric cloth seats up front and I don't think they are as comfortable as my CMAX SEL(302 pkg)  seats. IMO  I'm 5'10" and 170lbs  and generally I like cloth seats better than leather. :)

Paul

• 3 weeks later...

I recently traded my 2013 SE for a 2014 SEL, and the seats are much, much more comfortable! I loved my base SE, but between the lousy audio and no navigation, I decided to trade up. I'm delighted and didn't realize that the seats would be so much better. I use to have a pillow, now I just jump in and drive. Huge difference for me. Will have to update my profile picture tonight. 

• 2 months later...

CAR SEATS Any good chiropractor will tell you that sitting in a car seat your butt and knee should be the same level or your butt a little higher to avoid back pain -Sciatica inflammation.  Once inflamed it is very difficult to sit in a back pitched car seat for long periods of time.  Pitched seats can also irritate the Piriformis muscle that runs from your lower back through your butt and to your leg. I had to sell my Prius as the seat was pitched back with no adjustments and there was no way my butt and knee were on the same level. I'm tall and the C Max was the only seat that allowed adjustment to sit with my butt and knee level. 

• 1 month later...

The seats in my 2013  SE are pretty rough... wife was trying all sorts of pillows, supports, etc.   We finally broke down and got  Wet Okole covers with lumbar and seat heaters... it has solved all the comfort issues.  I was also considering what CBHarvest did... and go looking for a 14 SEL. 

Edited by mike884