Safety package for 2017?

n2scuba

I've been lurking as a potential buyer for almost three years now -- unfortunately long enough to have the fabulous Ice Storm color disappear from the offerings. The C-Max is the right size for me and just plain fun to drive. My interest goes back to 2013, but I thought if I waited, I could eventually get a safety package with today's technology, even if I had to pay extra. But where's the rear cross traffic alert, blind spot monitor, lane departure warning, and, most importantly for me, forward collision warning and braking assist? Ford has this technology available on its other models. Why not for the C-Max? Does anyone know whether the 2017 C-Max is expected to offer these items? Thanks.

Why not?  Because there isn't any room!   Ford shoe-horned two engines and two batteries in a smallish package.  They couldn't even find room for a spare tire, let alone a brake assist device and all the other stuff you mention. 

I'm a huge fan of turning my head and looking beside the car before I change lanes.

I've been lurking as a potential buyer for almost three years now -- unfortunately long enough to have the fabulous Ice Storm color disappear from the offerings. The C-Max is the right size for me and just plain fun to drive. My interest goes back to 2013, but I thought if I waited, I could eventually get a safety package with today's technology, even if I had to pay extra. But where's the rear cross traffic alert, blind spot monitor, lane departure warning, and, most importantly for me, forward collision warning and braking assist? Ford has this technology available on its other models. Why not for the C-Max? Does anyone know whether the 2017 C-Max is expected to offer these items? Thanks.

For some reason Ford is not putting much engineering effort into this car.  There have been almost no changes to the C-Max.   Maybe it is a cost thing?   Maybe it is because they have the engineering team focused on the replacement "Designed from the ground up" car?   I think the next gen is due in 2018 which is not that far away.   Now is this going to be a C-Max or something else remains to be seen.   I am hoping that they keep a taller model like the C-Max now. 

I have noticed that online posts talking about hybrids don't say much about the C-Max any more.  I just saw a post for someone in a Prius stating she wanted a replacement and wanted to know what to look at.   No C-Max in the list.  Of course this is just an opinion but the C-Max just seems to be old news.  Too bad because I still think it is a great car.  70 MPG on my 10 mile route to work this morning.  :wub2:

Why not?  Because there isn't any room!   Ford shoe-horned two engines and two batteries in a smallish package.  They couldn't even find room for a spare tire, let alone a brake assist device and all the other stuff you mention. 

I'm a huge fan of turning my head and looking beside the car before I change lanes.

Ehhh, isn't some of this stuff available on the Fusion hybrid/Energi models?  I don't think there's any more room there.  

I think it's a marketing choice where the C-Max which based on how many I've seen compared to other Fords has to be about their least selling vehicle.

The other possibility is that it's like our Toyota Sienna and there's a weight issue with staying in whatever class it's in.  You can't get all the options on the AWD model because it would push the weight up into the next class of vehicle.

I believe you .  The Fusion is a full 20 inches longer than the C-max and 2 inches wider.

Wonder where that room actually is...  Is there more interior room in the Fusion?  Pictures I've seen of the Fusion Energi trunk look like there is maybe enough room for a card table...

Fusion is bigger... 8" in wheelbase to go with that longer body. It goes into legroom, 4" more in front, 2" in back, and the width into more hip and shoulder room, all a the expense of headroom. It's more of a cockpit-style seating, where the car tries to fit like a glove, consistent with it's less-utilitarian mission in the model line. 

Frank

The Cmax seems roomier, and the higher seating makes the view out better.  Probably better use of space in the Cmax.  The trunk on the fusion hybrid is not too bad.   The trunk in the fusion energi is tiny.  We do a lot of cross country trips and we like the fusion for that.  Plus i have a spare tire in the trunk of the fusion.

I don't think it is space, most of these items are software, and the C-Max already has side sensors with some packages. I think they designed the car as it was, a modification of the European C-Max, and decided not to update it. The new EV may have those features available.

Thanks, guys. I suspect Adrian is correct about the lack of room for a brake assist device, but I also suspect others are correct that it's a marketing decision and Ford is just not motivated to equip this car with a state-of-the-art safety package.

Scottwood2 hit the nail on the head. Ford simply isn't putting any more work/money into the C-Max because it has been discontinued. All the design effort for new features in a hybrid are going to go into the new model, which is still two or three years away from being on the showroom floor. 

Keep in mind that Ford executives made the decision about the C-Max's fate well before the news became public a year ago, hence the dearth of major changes to the model over its lifespan.