Latch Recall

The recall states "ending date for reimbursement eligibility is October 31, 2016." Does that mean that we need to get the recall work performed before that date? I haven't yet received the letter, so I'm thinking the parts are likely not available yet -- so that date worries me a bit.

At least go and schedule the work with the dealer before that data - that may lock in the reimbursement even if the parts aren't yet available.  I waited (on purpose) to the "11th hour" on the 15B04 battery CSP and my dealer was able to start the paperwork (on the last day!) even though it was performed after the end date - no charge.  Then again, this is an actual recall (not a CSP) so they had better do it at no charge.

I think the paragraph before that line is talking about if any of you already had the repair performed and were charged for the work before the recall came out you can submit documentation for reimbursement from Ford by October 31, 2016.

If they are saying it the -other- way, given that it's a safety issue and they don't even have parts for a repair yet that seems pretty unreasonable so I think the notice is just poorly worded.

Edited by jestevens

• 1 month later...

My CMAX built Michigan Plant March 2015. SEL 302 Package. Ford site states "Affected vehicles include those built:

2013-15 C-MAX – Michigan Assembly Plant, April 19, 2012 to Jan. 31, 2015". My Ford states there are no recalls on my car. Seems there should be.

My CMAX built Michigan Plant March 2015. SEL 302 Package. Ford site states "Affected vehicles include those built:

2013-15 C-MAX – Michigan Assembly Plant, April 19, 2012 to Jan. 31, 2015". My Ford states there are no recalls on my car. Seems there should be.

Recall is in these states...

States included are Alabama, Arkansas, Arizona, California, Florida, Georgia, Hawaii, Louisiana, Mississippi, New Mexico, Nevada, Oklahoma, Texas, Utah, Oregon and Washington.States included are Alabama, Arkansas, Arizona, California, Florida, Georgia, Hawaii, Louisiana, Mississippi, New Mexico, Nevada, Oklahoma, Texas, Utah, Oregon and Washington.

Ford is right, at least per the recall dates; since your car was built in March and the end date of the cars included is in January, your car isn't part of the recall. 

Recall is in these states...

States included are Alabama, Arkansas, Arizona, California, Florida, Georgia, Hawaii, Louisiana, Mississippi, New Mexico, Nevada, Oklahoma, Texas, Utah, Oregon and Washington.States included are Alabama, Arkansas, Arizona, California, Florida, Georgia, Hawaii, Louisiana, Mississippi, New Mexico, Nevada, Oklahoma, Texas, Utah, Oregon and Washington.

That was the initial recall, it was expanded later to be nationwide.  

http://www.nytimes.com/2016/09/09/business/ford-expands-costly-door-latch-recall.html 

https://media.ford.com/content/fordmedia/fna/us/en/news/2016/09/08/ford-expands-door-latch-safety-recall-in-north-america.html

Edited by raadsel

According to the NHTSA recall attached below, your car is not included in the recall.

This is the recall that showed up last week about the same time I received my letter from Ford (about 10 days ago).  The letter notification (and perhaps the notice on Owner.Ford)  to affected owners is phased as the recall date is 9/2/2016.  Homestead said his showed up in mid September.

• Recall Date: SEP 02, 2016
  • Recall Title: DOOR LATCH REPLACEMENT
  • NHTSA Recall Number: 16V643
  • Ford Recall Number: 16S30
  • Recall Description: A DOOR LATCH WITH A FRACTURED PAWL SPRING TAB TYPICALLY RESULTS IN A "DOOR WILL NOT CLOSE" CONDITION. A DOOR THAT OPENS WHILE DRIVING INCREASES THE RISK OF INJURY. AS OF 9/2/16, FORD'S INVESTIGATION INTO THIS CONCERN HAS IDENTIFIED A TOTAL OF ONE ALLEGED ACCIDENT AND THREE ALLEGED INJURIES THAT FORD BELIEVES MAY BE RELATED. ONE ALLEGED INJURY WAS TO AN OCCUPANT'S ARM FROM A DOOR THAT REPORTEDLY OPENED AND BOUNCED BACK. ANOTHER INJURY INVOLVED A DRIVER WHO ALLEGED HER HAND WAS INJURED WHEN TRYING TO GRAB A DOOR THAT OPENED. THE THIRD INJURY WAS TO AN OCCUPANT WHO ALLEGEDLY RECEIVED SCRATCHES FROM A REAR DOOR THAT OPENED WHILE DRIVING. FORD HAS NO FURTHER INFORMATION RELATING TO THESE REPORTS. THE ALLEGED ACCIDENT OCCURRED AFTER THE DRIVER'S DOOR REPORTEDLY OPENED IN A PARKING LOT AND RESULTED IN BUMPER DAMAGE, BUT FORD HAS NO ADDITIONAL INFORMATION.
  • Risk to Safety: A DOOR LATCH WITH A FRACTURED PAWL SPRING TAB TYPICALLY RESULTS IN A "DOOR WILL NOT CLOSE" CONDITION. A DOOR THAT OPENS WHILE DRIVING INCREASES THE RISK OF INJURY.
  • Remedy Program: OWNERS WILL BE NOTIFIED BY MAIL AND INSTRUCTED TO TAKE THEIR VEHICLE TO A FORD OR LINCOLN DEALER TO HAVE ALL AFFECTED DOOR LATCHES REPLACED WITH A MORE ROBUST SERVICE PART. THERE WILL BE NO CHARGE FOR THIS SERVICE. PARTS AVAILABILITY IS PRESENTLY VERY LIMITED. IT IS RECOGNIZED THAT CERTAIN FACTORS AFFECT THE RATE OF REPORTS AND MAY BE USED IN PRIORITIZING THE PHASED MAILING OF REMEDY NOTIFICATIONS AS PARTS BECOME AVAILABLE. FORD PROVIDED THE GENERAL REIMBURSEMENT PLAN FOR THE COST OF REMEDIES PAID FOR BY VEHICLE OWNERS PRIOR TO NOTIFICATION OF A SAFETY RECALL TO THE AGENCY IN FEBRUARY 2015. THE ENDING DATE FOR REIMBURSEMENT ELIGIBILITY IS OCTOBER 31, 2016. FORD WILL FORWARD A COPY OF THE NOTIFICATION LETTERS TO DEALERS TO THE AGENCY WHEN AVAILABLE.
  • Manufacturer Notes: TO CHECK FOR NON-SAFETY-RELATED PROGRAMS APPLICABLE TO YOUR VEHICLE, SEE HTTP://WWW.FORD.COM/OR CALL YOUR FORD DEALER.

RCLRPT-16V643-8175.PDF

Edited by Plus 3 Golfer