Taking My C-Max to the Drive-In. Battery save mode?

Hey guys, so I'm going on a date this Friday to the Drive-In in my Ford C-Max SEL (no Sony upgrade) and I know that regularly my radio will turn off after about 15 minutes for "battery save mode." That would be a bummer during the movie of course since our drive in has it broadcast over FM. Is there any way around "battery save mode?" Thanks!!!

There's a thread about this somewhere -- do a search on "Drive-in" and I'll bet you'll find it (it's rather lengthy -- I *think* the consensus is you might be better off just bringing some external audio device with you but I don't remember since I haven't been to a drive-in for over half a century and don't think I will again in my lifetime.

If the car is in accessory mode (don't hold down the brake while pressing the engine start button) I don't think it should shut off unless the battery is getting really low?  Although I would just bring a nice radio and some folding chairs along and not worry about it. 

Actually everyone else will have their radio on too, so if you don't mind the lag you can hear it that way.

One thing I've noticed is that people seem to have no idea about all the headlights, parking lights, DRLs, courtesy lights, beepers, security strobes, etc. on their new cars - which become very apparent at the drive-in.  Also, some folks enjoy smoking and many children have an early bed time - but that's all part of the experience and it's still pretty nice if the weather is good and you are a patient person who takes all of that into consideration.

Some of the children had neat 360 degree LED sneakers that were very nice for being able to see your way to the concession stand in the dark.

If you don't have a former rental fleet car hopefully you can use the headlight switch on the dash to disable the lights..

It would be nice to leave it in READY (Engine full start mode) so that the 12V doesn't run down, and theoretically the gas engine wouldn't run that much with big draw items like AC turned off but I think some drive ins have a prohibition about running the engine a lot due to the fumes and noise.

Hope it goes well.

Edited by jestevens

Yep.  If you've got an ACC mode then that might work.  But on my Energi the only way to keep the radio on for more than 20 minutes(2 separate 10 minute sessions) is to leave the car "ON".  And I've got DRL's which there is no way to turn off when the car is ON.  So mine is pretty useless for the drive-in.  

I'd have to either bring a portable radio or I might install a couple relays to kill the power to the headlights.

With my Energi if I got it there with a good charge in the battery it should stay pretty silent.  But I'm guessing you'll have periodic ICE starts as the HV gets low.

I thought my HHR would be a cool car to bring to the drive in but it turns out there are two map lights in the rear view that you couldn't disable if any door, including the back hatch was open - I had to pull a fuse.  It didn't really work out well to sit in the back because the drive-in had a rule that the hatch couldn't be higher than the roof line of the car.