Side Pop Ups, Use Ad Blocker + to get rid of

ptjones

LOL, you've been living with the ADS for nearly 2 1/2 years since I posted about blocking the ads.

Try ublock as it seems to block more ads than adblock on other sites.  I generally leave both enabled.

See this as to the difference between adblock and adblock+.  I disabled / removed adblock+.

Also see this about adblockers including the link about adblock+  at bottom of the linked article.  

Edited by Plus 3 Golfer

I don't like to use ad blocker software as I want to site to make money from me.    Should be a win/win for both the user and site owner.   They have costs too.  

The new side pop ups are taking this to a new level.   I had to reduce the size of the posts or the pop ups would cover the text.    It is when things like this happen that makes more people want to use ad blocker software or just don't use the site at all.    I am now thinking of installing software myself.   I think these side pop ups are taking this too far. 

I don't like to use ad blocker software as I want to site to make money from me.    Should be a win/win for both the user and site owner.   They have costs too.  

The new side pop ups are taking this to a new level.   I had to reduce the size of the posts or the pop ups would cover the text.    It is when things like this happen that makes more people want to use ad blocker software or just don't use the site at all.    I am now thinking of installing software myself.   I think these side pop ups are taking this too far. 

I recently started using Ghostery. I find it gives a great deal of control, including being able to block the various trackers that websites use. You can set it differently for various websites, such as allowing some of the ads through on a website so they can make money on you, but still block the more intrusive ones. They are also making it more usable, giving some explanation of the various advertisers and trackers.

As someone who runs a couple of forums I can speak to the ad issue -- I don't use them except for actual sponsors (who get a mention in banners that I control, hence aren't blocked by any ad blocker).  Obviously this is far more work than just subscribing to an ad service, and makes less money... but forums shouldn't be a for-profit situation anyway, IMHO.  If you are making money off of it you *should* be blocked.

I run Adblock (which I paid for) on my browser all the time and will NOT visit a site that blocks me because of it (like the Washington Post).  Plenty of other choices out there.

Oh, and one more thing (from a forum admin who knows about this stuff pretty well).

Forums "lifeblood" are the participation of members.  Without them contributing, there IS no forum.  So for me, getting on here and contributing and not just asking for help is my "payment" for the forum.  When admins start making it onerous to visit it's their own fault that membership drops off and the forum dies.

Putting obnoxious ads on is a good way to kill a golden goose -- if they can't make it work without those, they shouldn't be running it (and nature abhors a vaccum -- there will be others that will come along and be just as good if the forum goes away).

I recently started using Ghostery. I find it gives a great deal of control, including being able to block the various trackers that websites use. You can set it differently for various websites, such as allowing some of the ads through on a website so they can make money on you, but still block the more intrusive ones. They are also making it more usable, giving some explanation of the various advertisers and trackers.

Thx for the tip.   That sounds like one I would like to use. 

• 1 year later...