Hyundai Sonata Hybrid 2016

fbov

We have turned to the dark side, in the form of a black 2016 Hyundai Sonata Hybrid.

Unlike our cars, it has a 6-speed transmission with a parallel hybrid power plant. It's unconventional in that the single motor/generator and clutch replace the torque converter in the tranny. ICE is a 2L non-Atkinson direct-injection 4-cylinder which combines with the 38kW MG for 193 total HP. Battery has 1.6kWh capacity, and based on AVT test data for the prior Li-ion battery, it should provide comparable performance to Ford's battery. No idea how they handle regen through the transmission gearing. 

I've only driven it once... Nice simple dial display of power requested clockwise and regen braking requested counter-clockwise. Dual fuel gauges for gas and HVB. Three modes, ECO, normal and SPORT. And the high-end version had an "Ultimate" option package with a panoramic sunroof that opens.

So we have all the bells and whistles... She saw the sunroof and that was that. Given my wife wanted a hybrid when she first bought a Hyundai in 2011, this is perfect for her. Very happy she waited for Li-ion technology! Not so happy to have an all new drive train again... or so many bells and whistles. 

I liked simple cars before these hybrid things came along...

HAve fun,

Frank

It will be interesting to see what kind of MPG's she get. :) Does it have an aggressive EV or more like Prius?

Paul 

I'm not quite sure what you are asking with "aggressive EV?" I believe the answer you are looking for is that the Sonata Hybrid can be in EV-only mode up to 75 mph. In fact, one of the oddities of the Hyundai/Kia hybrids is that they get better mileage on the highway than in the city; from what I can tell, this is caused by the lack of efficiency of a standard automatic transmission. Not sure if that is what you were asking, though. For those interested in how the Hyundai hybrid system works, this YouTube video does a good job of explaining the basics. 

From what I understand, while it is a Direct Injection engine and not an Atkinson, it has been "Atkinson-ized", basically that the engine timing is software controlled to emulate an Atkinson to improve fuel economy. My recollection is that the Sonata Hybrid Limited is rated 43 mpg highway, 39 city, and 41 combined -- and that it easily can meet or even exceed those numbers. 

Edited by raadsel

Congrats, fbov, on the new car. From what I've seen, the current Sonata Hybrid is a really nice car, and there are some really nice driver convenience features in the car you purchased. I'm guessing you also got a great deal, seems like they've got some very aggressive rebates on the Sonata Hybrid right now. Out of curiosity, I know they have a "competitor" rebate right now, just curious if the C-Max (if you mentioned owning it) made you eligible for that rebate?

I'm not quite sure what you are asking with "aggressive EV?" I believe the answer you are looking for is that the Sonata Hybrid can be in EV-only mode up to 75 mph. In fact, one of the oddities of the Hyundai/Kia hybrids is that they get better mileage on the highway than in the city; from what I can tell, this is caused by the lack of efficiency of a standard automatic transmission. Not sure if that is what you were asking, though. For those interested in how the Hyundai hybrid system works, this YouTube video does a good job of explaining the basics. 

From what I understand, while it is a Direct Injection engine and not an Atkinson, it has been "Atkinson-ized", basically that the engine timing is software controlled to emulate an Atkinson to improve fuel economy. My recollection is that the Sonata Hybrid Limited is rated 43 mpg highway, 39 city, and 41 combined -- and that it easily can meet or even exceed those numbers. 

The Prius the ICE runs most of the time, CMAX wants to run EV when it can. :)

Paul

The Prius the ICE runs most of the time, CMAX wants to run EV when it can. :)

Paul

In that case, it is more like the C-Max. One tidbit I find somewhat interesting, when starting to move after coming to a complete stop, the Sonata Hybrid always starts in EV mode. It doesn't turn on the gas engine until the car is moving (I seem to recall about 5 mph minimum). The gas engine only turns on once the car is moving, if it needs more power to accelerate or the battery is low.

Also, it technically does have two electric motors, just that only one is attached to the transmission. The second is a starter/generator; as the name implies, it starts the car and, when the car is being powered by the electric motor but the gas engine is running, it is used as a generator to charge the hybrid battery.

In that case, it is more like the C-Max. One tidbit I find somewhat interesting, when starting to move after coming to a complete stop, the Sonata Hybrid always starts in EV mode. It doesn't turn on the gas engine until the car is moving (I seem to recall about 5 mph minimum). The gas engine only turns on once the car is moving, if it needs more power to accelerate or the battery is low.

Also, it technically does have two electric motors, just that only one is attached to the transmission. The second is a starter/generator; as the name implies, it starts the car and, when the car is being powered by the electric motor but the gas engine is running, it is used as a generator to charge the hybrid battery.

Does that mean that there isn't much acceleration in EV Mode? :)

Paul

...Does it have an aggressive EV or more like Prius?... 

Agressive capability, based on the prior generation's power/energy profile. EV up to 75 MPH looks good. Have to wait and see...

That's why we want pure electric - it doesn't get any simpler than that!

I was referring to cars that had grass under the hood (if you were parked on the lawn). 

....this YouTube video does a good job of explaining the basics. 

From what I understand, while it is a Direct Injection engine and not an Atkinson, it has been "Atkinson-ized", basically that the engine timing is software controlled to emulate an Atkinson to improve fuel economy. ...

I didn't appreciate that there was a belt-driven starter motor on the engine, that also had charging capability. 

Congrats, fbov, on the new car. From what I've seen, the current Sonata Hybrid is a really nice car, and there are some really nice driver convenience features in the car you purchased. ...

We drove the C-Max to the dealership, not the trade-in... convenience features are not all they're cracked up to be. Conversely, it's easier to ignore a capability you have, than use one you don't have. I have sunroof envy. 

... technically does have two electric motors...

No mention in their documentation The 2011 video that may not apply to the 2016 (different engine, "all new" drivetrain). 

Thanks for your interest. I'll let you know,

Frank

Edited by fbov

Does that mean that there isn't much acceleration in EV Mode? :)

Paul

Acceleration is fine, though maybe a second slower than the Fusion to 60 (Sonata Hybrid is about 8.5 seconds to 60). You have plenty of torque to get you off the line with the electric motor only, then the gas engine kicks in (if you are wanting to accelerate quickly). I think this is also an area that the auto transmission helps, though the gear shifts are very possibly what cause the slower time to 60.

Does it have the cooled seats? I like that.

Yes, it does have the ventilated seats, as well as a heated steering wheel. Also, you can set the climate control to "driver only", which turns all the vents off in the car other than the drivers. It also has autonomous braking and adaptive cruise control, beyond that, another nice feature is the Auto Hold -- you can take your foot off the brake at a stoplight and it keeps the brake on, as well as the brake lights, until you push on the accelerator pedal. 

Edited by raadsel

Agressive capability, based on the prior generation's power/energy profile. EV up to 75 MPH looks good. Have to wait and see...

I was referring to cars that had grass under the hood (if you were parked on the lawn). 

I didn't appreciate that there was a belt-driven starter motor on the engine, that also had charging capability. 

We drove the C-Max to the dealership, not the trade-in... convenience features are not all they're cracked up to be. Conversely, it's easier to ignore a capability you have, than use one you don't have. I have sunroof envy. 

No mention in their documentation The 2011 video that may not apply to the 2016 (different engine, "all new" drivetrain). 

Thanks for your interest. I'll let you know,

Frank

I understand not liking the starter being belt driven, though from what I've seen it works well; it isn't something they've had an issue with. 

For the competitive owner coupon, you don't need to trade in the vehicle you just need to own it, "If you are currently a registered owner of a qualifying competitive vehicle, you can receive an additional $1,500 off a new 2016 Hyundai Sonata Plug-In. See your local dealer for program details and list of qualifying competitive vehicles." Just curious if the C-Max is a qualifying competitive vehicle per Hyundai.

As for the video, while they changed the engine for the 2016 and increased the power of the electric motor, the overall system still works the same way -- everything in the video (other than if they mention engine size) should still be correct.