NEW TANK RECORD 931.8 mile/13.7 gal/68mpg

ptjones

It has been pretty quiet on the MPG Forum so I thought I would Post this to get some more interest in improving  your MPG's, If you aren't in in a hurry, Sight Seeing works great you can get impressive FE. I use State Routes instead of Interstate Highways with speed limits 55-65 mph.  When you do Post it on this Forum so others can see how you are doing. :) 

Started in Newnan, GA and  drove to Savannah, GA then up the Coast to Georgetown, SC and then came back, I made it to Monticello, GA before filling up 915.4 miles/ 13.7 gal and 66.1 mpg. I figure I still had .3-.4 gallons(18-24 miles before I would have run out.). GPS actual mileage 931.8 mi./13.7 gal.= 68 mpg.   :)  I was hoping to do better, but I can't seem to get 70 mpg going 65 - 50MPH, at 50 -35 mph P&G I saw over 80 mpg a few times on segments of the trip.   :shift:  My wife isn't interested in doing any more trips like that, she said I can go by myself. LOL   :sad:  And it's been almost two years since my last Record.

sml_gallery_143_17_114587.jpg

Paul

Wow. thats awesome. 

I have a couple different ways to and from work, highway averages about 38-41mpg, both uphill long on ramps. 
the other is more flat with small rolling hills, can usually get 42-47mpg, speeds are only 55 or so.

Edited by WNY

I know it can be challenging, but I have two personal records taking US80 across Texas, most of the time there wasn't that much traffic and don't think I pulled over more than twice. My point is that you don't have to be an hindrance to traffic. :)  The BIG thing is don't be in a hurry, drive the speed limit if you have to for short distances then pull over in a convenient place and let traffic by.  This changes driving from a chore to a challenging game. Isn't kind of like a NASCAR Driver on a road course trying to save gas trying to be as efficient as he can.  :shift:  :number1:  :)

Paul

https://avt.inl.gov/vehicle-button/2013-ford-c-max

For those interested, here's a link (you've seen before) to current DOE test data for 2013 C-Max, now out beyond 100K miles. The only thing changing is capacity, dropping about 10%, but...

- discharge curves coincide down to the capacity limit

- internal resistance doesn't change with age up to 80% of capacity

- pulse charge/discharge power is stable or improving

- available power vs usable energy is similar, same or better than when new

So while absolute capacity and energy content do decline, they're the least important aspect tested, given the HVB operates in a 30% to 70% state of charge. The important stuff is very stable. Paul, your comment about how far down the hill you can go before running out of regen capacity, while achieving new mileage records, is consistent with these resuits, to my eye. 

Have fun,

Frank

Nice Job Paul

I also try to take secondary roads instead of freeways sometimes.  This can make a big difference in FE.   Many times I am not in a hurry anyway and taking these secondary roads gives you more to see and more time driving the C-Max which I like to do anyway.   

I don't know if I could do it as much as you have here.   OK maybe I could but my other half says also says that I can't.   Hey maybe they should start the "I have to put up with a C-Max owner" forum for our other half's?   I am sure my other half would have a lot of content.   :drop:

Nice Job Paul

I also try to take secondary roads instead of freeways sometimes.  This can make a big difference in FE.   Many times I am not in a hurry anyway and taking these secondary roads gives you more to see and more time driving the C-Max which I like to do anyway.   

I don't know if I could do it as much as you have here.   OK maybe I could but my other half says also says that I can't.   Hey maybe they should start the "I have to put up with a C-Max owner" forum for our other half's?   I am sure my other half would have a lot of content.   :drop:

I will mention that to my wife to see if she is interested in starting one. LOL :lol:  :lol2: It could be a pretty active Thread. :)

Paul

I blew out my knee in 1991 and had surgery and that ended my bike riding days. I used to commute by bike winter and summer, 5,000 miles a year. ✌

Sorry to hear that about your knee.   I have been doing a lot of riding this past year but not sure how much riding I will do in the winter months.   I give you a lot of credit for winter bike riding.  If it is dry maybe but I don't think I will try to ride in the snow.