Chevrolet Bolt EV!

HotPotato

So y'all, the first affordable 200+ mile pure electric vehicle is here: the Chevy Bolt EV. That's Bolt with a B.

The Chevy Bolt EV is EPA rated at 238 miles of range per charge---255 city, 215 highway---and manufacturer rated at 7 seconds 0-60 MPH. Reviewers have found both claims to be conservative: the car goes like a scared rabbit, and keeps right on going for more than double the range of any other affordable electric car.

It's priced starting a hair under $30,000 after the $7500 Federal EV rebate. That makes it functionally equivalent to a Tesla Model S 60 for half the price. And that puts it in a class of one for at least a year, when Tesla hopes to roll out their downsized Model 3.

The Bolt is a practical, potato-shaped tall wagon, very much like the C-Max but narrower. Think of it as a stretched Honda Fit, without the gasoline.

Production of the Chevy Bolt EV began November 4, 2016, with the first units scheduled for delivery in December. I have put a deposit down on one.

Anyone else?

EVs wouldn't be a cost effective vehicle for me either with gas under $2 a gallon and the variable charge for electricity at under $0.09 per kWh (TOU tariff not effective because no load shifting from on to off-peak of normal consumption to make up the higher service charge of the TOU tariff). So, although the cost of fuel for an EV vs Gas Hybrid might reduce my cost by $0.03 per mile currently, I would need the spread to increase at least 4X before I would consider an EV.  

An EV might save me $150 a year at current fuel prices and my estimate of driving around 8 k miles a year with the Bolt.  However, I would / could not come close to approaching the near 20 k miles a year that I currently drive my C-Max with a Bolt.  A 200 mile range, lack of charging infrastructure, and time to charge are still negatives that would limit the usability of a Bolt for me and hence make it a bad choice from a value standpoint.  You won't see me "in line" for a Bolt.  :)

I really like the Bolt.  There was one the other night at our local school function with a M plate on it.   Really nice and pretty much what I like for size. 

Most of my driving would work out well with the electric but not trips which is a big thing for me.   Also as others have said when you put all costs in a spreadsheet it is hard to justify the pure electric.   Even with the C-Max I could not justify the extra cost for the plug in model.  

So having one would be fun but probably will not be on my list.

So, the backstory: when my wife's Hyundai Veloster lease ran out, she leased a Fiat 500e electric vehicle in its place. The Fiat is hilariously fun to drive, with oceans of torque in a tiny rollerskate of a car. Wheee!  We plug it in at night and always have a full "tank" in the morning, and the fuel costs us $30 a month. My wife also appreciates that she never has to touch a nasty gas pump or deal with oil changes. And living near a freeway, I appreciate that we've taken one tailpipe off the road. 

At this point, if we could have two EVs, we would. (I can charge for free at work.)  But we need at least one car that can take us to the nearest big-city airport and back, without a pit stop to charge. That meant keeping the C-Max. Until now.

I'm in the wrong part of the depreciation curve for a trade, of course. If I can't make the sums work, I won't be completely heartbroken: I like my C-Max, and it mimics a fair bit of an EV's refinement by shutting off at stoplights and using electric power to keep the revs down. But I'm hoping...

IMHO, pure electric will be more of an urban vehicle until the battery driving range approaches 300 miles, and recharge time is down to ~10 minutes (baseline is a 1999 Mercury Sable). Tesla is close on driving range, not so much charge time. 

Conversely, I just filled up for the first time this Fall - 8 weeks and 600 miles since last fuel up - which is an ideal application for a pure EV car. I wouldn't give up the trunk space of an Energi, however. Utility is a major factor in driving this car!

Have fun,

Frank

Get one from JC Whitney! :lol:

I could certainly go for one if I can get over Chevrolet crushing the EV1s :rant: But I'll be waiting for the other folks to bring out their EVs. :waiting:

At 200+ miles the range issue is, IMO, solved for local driving, but to date, Tesla has the only 'solution' for long distance.

The ICE age is ending! :happy feet:

There are reasons not to buy a GM electric car, but "because of the EV1" is not one of them. GM *invented* the modern electric car with the EV1. They decided not to pursue it at the time, largely because battery technology was not sufficiently advanced. But without the EV1, there would *be* no Tesla; they would have not have had the inspiration and the template to follow.

Moreover, later on the Volt got people over their "but an affordable EV can't do a road trip" objections to *just try* electric propulsion, and discover they loved it.

GM also gave us the first EV hot hatch, the Spark EV with 400 lb feet of torque, and lease priced it below its gasoline sibling -- putting the lie to the idea that an EV could be fast like a Tesla or cheap like a Mitsubishi i-MiEV but not both.

In short, EV-based GM hate is misguided. We should encourage mainstream automakers to get on board with clean powertrains, not reject them when they do.

That said, GM ought to follow Nissan's lead and drop out of the main automakers lobby, because it's at cross purposes with the company's own electrification efforts.

Just a question. The federal rebate on electric cars expires at 200K units. How close is Chevy to reaching that? The Volt has been in production several years.

Nevermind, just looked it up. They just crossed 100K sales this year. So the rebate is still valid.

Interesting. That my compensate for the risk of getting a first model year car.  (Like my 2013 C-Max)

As others have said here, for me an all electric makes no economic sense (with 20% off gas cards at Publix 13 times a year, I am currently getting gas at around $1.70 per gallon and never higher, although sometimes lower).  Gas prices would have to double for it to even begin to make sense (at which point, for a car to get to tennis and back, it might work for me).

But since I won't be in the market for another vehicle for at least five years I'll just see what the future brings.  I'm still rather skeptical an all electric is ever in my (limited) lifetime, but you never know.

I agree with Kellytoons , EV's just aren't practical for most people. With a barely two car garage(F150 won't fit in it) so it's been CMAX and Explorer(snug fit) for the last 4 years, we just got the the F150 a few months ago after not having a truck for 3 years. I have to store the truck at my shop which is also a snug fit, I pull it out during the day if I need extra room.  We don't like leaving our vehicles outside, which limits us to three vehicles. We travel about 50k miles a year with about 3-4 trips to AZ, one to SF, couple to Rochester and all our looking for Lighthouses trips. Bottom line is the CMAX is our main vehicle unless we need to carry more people or haul more heavy stuff.  I do 90% of the driving so she drives the Explorer 10% of the miles and she not going to give it up.  CMAX Energi might work, but I hate to give up the extras space, and the extra weight which hurts FE And handling. So it looks like I'm doing about the best that I can for the time being.

Paul

The Bolt is a practical, potato-shaped tall wagon, very much like the C-Max ..................

Guessing, I think the C-Bolt EV (or is that the C-Max EV) will be a winner for many with a range that begins to be reasonable.  It would almost work for us.

Too late though, and perhaps not with the key features that brought us to buy a C-Max.  10-15 years from now when we are shopping again the market should be flooded with even better options. 

Good luck HotPotato,

Cheers to under $30K,

:play:  :skateboard:  :play:,

Nick

Edited by C-MaxSea

Shouldn't be a problem - they lost a lot more on each EV1 they crushed! :stirpot:

(But I do hope they sell well - it looks like a very nice car.)

True, but they intend to sell a lot more Bolts than EV1s! I also wish them well, but for me, a hybrid just makes more sense at this point in time.

• 1 month later...

Well, I test drove an LT and a Premiere, twice each. Here's my impression:

1. Seats are really narrow and bolsters are really firm. Being able to feel the hard metal frame through the seat padding every time I slid into the car...not a plus.

2. Sound of base stereo is disappointing and sound of uplevel stereo is just OK. So identical to C-Max in this regard.

3. Interior materials quality is not as nice as the C-Max: fewer soft-touch surfaces, etc. The C-Max looks more expensive than it is inside; by contrast, the Bolt has an interesting look, not bad, but they obviously had to build to a price.

4. Motor Trend timed the car at 6.3 seconds to 60. I believe it. And it's so silent that it doesn't feel as fast as it is; there's no noisy engine drama, it's just abruptly going however fast you wanted.

5. Ride and handling are similar to the C-Max.

6. Interior width is narrower. Front and rear legroom is ample. Rear seats fold flat. Cargo compartment isn't as long but it is deeper: cargo sits below a lip rather than atop a hump as in the C-Max. And you can remove a false floor for even more depth.

7. Lots of active safety tech available if desired: lane keep assist, blind spot monitors, 360 degree around-view cameras, etc. But not the thing I want most: adaptive cruise control.

8. D.C. fast charge is a $750 option; it's sufficient in speed and availability to make the car suitable for road trips in many part of the country, including mine. It uses the SAE Combo standard like the Germans, not Chademo like the Japanese, and of course is not compatible with Tesla Superchargers. Most DCFC stations are 50 kW (vs Tesla at 125 kW), but that may change over time; Chevy says it will charge at 80 kW if you happen to find such a station, but doesn't state the max charge input possible.

8. Here's the killer though. There is no bargain lease pricing as we have come to expect from EVs. Being an early adopter will cost you.

For me, pricing isn't there yet, not when I lack positive equity in my trade. But I think it will be soon enough.