Chevrolet Bolt EV!

HotPotato

Thanks, HotPotato, for sharing.  Some reactions:

1. Sad.  Seats are so important - its what you feel the whole time you're in the car.  I just don't understand why they can't spend a few more dollars on seat comfort.  Shucks, by now we should have a seat option that automatically adjusts their shape to perfectly fit your body!
  2. Another shame - especially in a quiet car.  The industry should be forced back to standard format upgradeable sound systems.
  3. Perhaps not as critical but, again, any of us would likely pay the incremental cost difference for nicer stuff - but you can't.
  4. Awesome!  No more ICE!happy%20feet.gif
  5. Perfect!
  6. A lower cargo floor sure sounds great.  How is headroom?
  7. A shame there's no adaptive cruise but would love to try the 360 degree cameras.
  8. So for long trips charging is still quite an issue - $750 option with present limit at 50kW....   I sure hope we get past these early limitations soon.  We need the 350kW chargers that Ford (and others) are installing in Europe.  Of course for local driving the 200+ range essentially eliminates the charging issue.
  9. It usually does - but we are getting more BEV options every year! :)

Thanks, HotPotato, for sharing.  Some reactions:

• So for long trips charging is still quite an  issue - $750 option with present limit at 50kW....   I sure hope we get past these early limitations soon.  We need the 350kW chargers that Ford (and others) are installing in Europe.  Of course for local driving the 200+ range essentially eliminates the charging issue.
  • It usually does - but we are getting more BEV options every year! :)

"Installing in Europe" link.   BRAVO, :clapping: :clapping: :clapping:  BRAVISSIMO !!!  Up to 350kw (quick charge) charging stations throughout.  Cheers to Ford, BMW, VW ..................... for stepping up on this. 

Too bad not in little ol' here :sad:   :cry:  :sad:

Dare I quote "the ICE age is ending", sooner there than here sadly.

I went to Barrett-Jackson today and got to drive the Chevy Bolt (short drive however). Not a bad driving experience but this is what I came away with:

Pros:

• 230+ mile range
  • 11" center console display
  • Leg room & Head room
  • Turning radius
  • Handling
  • Quiet

Cons:

• Price (Ok not that bad as you most likely, depending on your income, will get $7500 back from the Gov't)
  • Seats are narrow
  • Body is narrow
  • Seats may be too firm for some (but were Ok for me)
  • Luggage space is small
  • Lack of extensive instrument panel customization
  • Lack of charging stations
  • Availability (not available in all states just yet)
  • Funky feeling brakes

Is there a 110v EVSE supplied with the Bolt? How much current does it draw?

Yes, one is included. They use the same strategy as the Volt: it draws very low power (8 amps?) unless you manually change the setting to full power (12 amps?). This is so that people with old wiring or a garage fridge, etc don't keep tripping their breakers.

350 amp chargers are coming to the US too: http://www.hybridcars.com/worlds-tallest-thermometer-high-power-charging-station-coming-to-california/

But it's unclear a) if any cars currently available can actually use them and b) if they'll become widespread.

I think this location - Baker, CA - is ideal: a high volume of cars doing the California to Vegas jaunt, which itself is a high speed long distance drive. So lots of people needing lots of charge pronto. But I don't see these mega chargers becoming common. And for battery life I don't know we'd want them to. They pump so much juice that IIRC the handles and cables have to be liquid cooled. That's got to be a lot of stress on the cells.