Eco mode

AZgman

So, we have had our C-max for exactly 1 week today. We only have a couple of hundred miles on it, but we have done it all with the car set in "Eco" mode. I am wondering how you more experienced owners use that mode. Do you use it sometimes, at all times, or never (or almost never)?

My guess is most just drive the car with ECO mode either on or off and don't switch back and forth. If your goal is to maximize FE, than leave ECO mode off as a hyper-miler can always beat ECO mode with respect to FE. But after a while the "FE challenge" will likely wane - I just leave ECO mode on. :)  

I don't believe regeneration increases in ECO mode.  That's counter intuitive to increasing FE (as one would believe is the goal of ECO mode) as it's generally better to coast (no throttle) with less regeneration than more since there are energy losses in converting the kinetic energy of the moving car to electrical energy, storing the electrical energy in the HVB, and converting the stored energy back to mechanical energy.  If you want to increase FE, try shifting to neutral and coasting with no regeneration rather than use regeneration when going down hills or coasting to stops (the legality of coasting in N has been discussed ad infinitum so no need to rehash).  Your FE will increase.

Edited by Plus 3 Golfer

I'm rather addicted to cruise control in general and use ECO mode almost exclusively.  ECO seems to stay in EV mode longer, automatically hyper-miles a bit as you go up and down hills, and provides a more gentle acceleration when going back up to speed.  I especially like this last feature where, after a stop, you accelerate manually to 20+ mph, tap Resume, and the car accelerates smoothly (about "2 bars") back up to speed - really nice.  Non-ECO is much too fast.  About the only time I use non-ECO is on hilly roads with moderate to heavy traffic where I don't want to mess up traffic flow with the speed changes.  Most folks would just drive manually under these conditions but, as stated, I'm addicted!

As to coasting in neutral, I rarely do it since you always have to shift back to Drive to apply brakes, else you will use friction brakes only - certainly not efficient!

Ditto Snowstorm - addicted to ECO mode cruise control - and for us exclusively.  For the same fundamental reasons; smooth rational acceleration control.  Mostly freeway, and longer arterials. Sweetness,  :wub2:  and pass the poupon.  (Way too lazy for hypergaming)

Nick :skateboard:

Edited by C-MaxSea

I used it when I first got the car, then I turned it off and went "Oh the throttle lag is gone". 

I can't stand it. It's a safety hazard because it makes throttle response very slow and inconsistent. You'll press the gas pedal a certain amount to keep up with traffic, but you won't, and then you'll press it more, then the acceleration will finally come, and you've contributed greatly to traffic congestion by creating a space in front of you. And when you need to accelerate fast to get onto a major road, or merge, you won't be able to until the car decides it's ready.

Instead of using "eco mode" just practice controlling the throttle precisely

Edited by jackalopetx

Ditto Snowstorm - addicted to ECO mode cruise control - and for us exclusively.  For the same fundamental reasons; smooth rational acceleration control.  Mostly freeway, and longer arterials. Sweetness,  :wub2:  and pass the poupon.  (Way too lazy for hypergaming)

Nick :skateboard:

That's a different thing. Eco Cruise lets the car slow down going up hill and speed up going down hill to save energy

ECO mode Cruise Control is always a selective operation -  but, (and it goes without saying) never for ramps or merging, and not in heavy traffic.  We also tap in, tap up, tap down, tap out when necessary .......... whatever works nicely for the road/traffic conditions .................... for me it's all about not using the feet when cruising the open freeway and other major roadways for long drives.  I prefer to use my wrist rather than stress out my right knee - lots of knee problems.  Works great.  

To each his own, pass the poupon,

Nick

Edited by C-MaxSea

I was thinking of posting the same question my self.

The only thing I noticed was higher regen when you let off the throttle and laggy throttle response, but I need to try again to see if I'm just confused.

I've gotten 45MPG this week I've owned with eco off.

Most here don't have the "Eco Mode", I believe that was first added to the 2016 C-Max. 

I agree with the above observations. There may be some confusion on ECO mode. I believe there are two ECO modes...one related to cruise and one related to normal driving (on 2016 and later CMax).

I own a 2013 and it has ECO mode option in cruise control (offering delayed accell/decell), but it does not have ECO mode option during normal driving (i.e. always displaying ECO on dash.

During my recent travel, I rented a 2016 CMax and noted it did have a continuous ECO display on dash during normal driving (without cruise on). I also observed the same lag noted in first re-post above. The vehicle would not coast as far as my 2013 CMax. At one point, I thought I was in L1 gear.

Most here don't have the "Eco Mode", I believe that was first added to the 2016 C-Max. 

You are right.  It's called ECOSELECT in the 2016 owner's manual..  Based on what I read, I'd turn it off and thus not have ECO Cruise available.. It does increase regeneration which IMO will likely benefit those that have poor brake scores using the friction brakes more often.  I guess the intent is to improve FE for more aggressive drivers.

ECOSELECT
EcoSelect is a drive mode for non-plugin
vehicles designed to offer the best possible
fuel economy with only a slight impact to
vehicle performance and comfort.
E198654
To switch EcoSelect on, press
the ECO button.
A graphic displays on your information
display when EcoSelect is on.
Your vehicle will remember the last
selected mode whenever you start your
vehicle.
EcoSelect allows your vehicle to operate
more efficiently. You will notice:
• Less aggressive heating and cooling.
• Softer acceleration.
• More regenerative braking.
• Changes in engine behavior.
• ECO cruise control activation.
Edited by Plus 3 Golfer

So, can you set ECO Select OFF and ECO Cruise ON?  If not, I would be mad - along with no more Lifetime stats, Ford isn't trying very hard to get me to trade up to a new model!

Apparently not on the Hybrid.

ECO Cruise
Note: ECO Cruise is available as a separate
feature on Energi vehicles only. On non
plug-in vehicles it is included in EcoSelect.
This feature saves vehicle energy by
relaxing acceleration compared to
standard cruise control. For example, your
vehicle may temporarily lose speed when
going uphill. When set to on, ECO appears
in the information display when cruise
control is on.
You can switch it on or off in through the
information display. See General
Information (page 93).
Edited by Plus 3 Golfer

In my 16 there is a seperate option for ECO cruise in the left menu. However mine being on does not show the ECO icon when cruise control is on, however it does feel like it's being utilized (Ive only used it once)

I think the ECO mode forces ECO cruise on in addition. With ECO mode on I still didn't see ECO cruise icon.

I think I remember it being removed at some point.

In my 16 there is a seperate option for ECO cruise in the left menu. However mine being on does not show the ECO icon when cruise control is on, however it does feel like it's being utilized (Ive only used it once)

I think the ECO mode forces ECO cruise on in addition. With ECO mode on I still didn't see ECO cruise icon.

I think I remember it being removed at some point.

I read the manual today, and as previously stated by 3 Plus Golfer, for non-Energi cars, Eco Cruise is part of Eco Mode. So if you want Eco Cruise, you must turn on Eco mode or else you get normal cruise.

There is also an EV+ mode activated in the left menu under settings. This will learn frequent destinations and keep the car in EV mode as you approach them. Apparently, this takes a few iterations (10?) of arriving at a destination in order to recognize and enable this feature.

Edited by AZgman