Curious White Smoke

jchunter

I think I saw this once... a long time ago. Others have as well with no long term issues. Check your recall record; there were yearly PCM updates required for my '13. 

Recall records for any VIN available at 

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/owners/SearchSafetyIssues 

or for more data on Ford cars...

https://www.etis.ford.com/vehicleRegSelector.do

Have fun,

Frank

Thanks for the info, guys. My smoke cloud was clearly visible thru the rear view mirror and I had not seriously punched the pedal. However, for the last few months I had noticed the ICE intermittently having delayed starts of 5-20 seconds while the dash displayed an ICE bar only 1/16" and battery not charging. I assume the injectors were pumping gas into the cylinders while the ICE was cranking... If so, this, would eventually ignite and could explain the white smoke. Better get it to the shop ASAP...

Thanks for the info, guys. My smoke cloud was clearly visible thru the rear view mirror and I had not seriously punched the pedal. However, for the last few months I had noticed the ICE intermittently having delayed starts of 5-20 seconds while the dash displayed an ICE bar only 1/16" and battery not charging. I assume the injectors were pumping gas into the cylinders while the ICE was cranking... If so, this, would eventually ignite and could explain the white smoke. Better get it to the shop ASAP...

Don't think that was the problem, but you can always add good injector cleaner. White smoke is oil, black is gas. :)

Paul

...  for the last few months I had noticed the ICE intermittently having delayed starts of 5-20 seconds while the dash displayed an ICE bar only 1/16" and battery not charging. I assume the injectors were pumping gas into the cylinders while the ICE was cranking... If...

This is normal. Your injector assumption is false; the engine is running, all the fuel injected is burned. 

After a true cold start, the ICE will not deliver torque until it's had a chance to run for a little while. I've mentioned it a few times since this behavior started two years ago, after 14E02 PCM update was applied.  Regardless SOC, the car behaves like EV+ when ICE first starts; lots of EV available without tapping any ICE power. Tach (in MyView) says ICE is only running 1500 RPM. "Engage" display shows a big blue bar, no white bar (all EV) until this period ends, then the display switches to big white bar, no blue.

This behavior is consistent with a fix for tranny bearing failures due to high torque load before full lubricant flow is established to the bearing. 

Have fun,

Frank

Josh, we hardly have moisture at all in Phoenix, Arizona. The water theory is unlikely...

Frank, during the delayed ICE starts, the Engine was already warm and cranking - definitely not running or burning fuel. I have counted off the seconds while the dash instruments indicated battery discharge.. The injectors had to be operating during the delayed start. This has been a repeated annoyance, wasting battery charge while accelerating away from red lights. It hasn't happened all the time - just intermittently. It may have been happening just prior to the smoke incident...

Edited by jchunter

...Frank, during the delayed ICE starts, the Engine was already warm and cranking - definitely not running or burning fuel. I have counted off the seconds while the dash instruments indicated battery discharge.. ...

Set up My View with a tachometer. I see the ICE running at low RPM during this period. 

In the Engage display, I see a large blue bar when starting out, switching to the white ICE bar after a short time, with a noticeable increase in engine RPM and noise output. 

Note there are operating modes where the ICE spins with no fuel used. Pulling away from a cold start isn't one of them.

Have fun,

Frank

Accelerating when entering freeway, my 2015 Cmax hybrid briefly emitted a large cloud of white smoke. Never seen this before. Mileage 5070. Comments or ideas??

White smoke is generally a sign of engine seal leakage. If it continues, take it back, you may have blown and engine seal.

Edited by stevedebi