What 12 V battery do I need?

jmckinley

After four years, 12V battery died on my 2013. Looked at owner's manual, it says 96R battery.  Not easy to find, but I located one.  Got home and pulled old battery and discovered it's about 3/4 the size of the 96R and won't fit, no way.  

The battery that's in there is a 67R which is really hard to find.  

Has anyone found a decent substitute?

Most definitely. When I lived in CT my batteries lasted "forever". I often traded in a car before having to replace the battery. Here in AZ, 4 years max; most likely less than that. I buy batteries with 5 year guarantees now.  

I just had 12V battery in my 2013 C-Max SEL (140K km/90K miles) fail --- without any warning --- no dimming lights, no hiccups with anything. Almost 4 years to the day I bought it.  Just had it towed to the dealer.  Paid C$175 for battery plus C$150 for AVR test.

With the real winter conditions, it could have been a lot worse.  Any way to catch this?  I couldn't open trunk or any doors besides driver's.

No other battery problems since getting the car.  This and having a flat (and no spare) are making think a bit more.

http://parts.davidstanleyford.com/p/Ford__C-Max/Battery/54406040/BXT67R.html?partner=googlebase_adwords&kwd=&origin=pla

In AZ, I paid $140 at Ford dealer including installation and sales tax (around 9.5%).  Look for coupons from Ford or dealer.

Earlier in the year I recall seeing a $99 coupon though I don't see it now, just to emphasize the looking for coupons.  I saw it on my dealer's website but often there is an overlap between their coupons and Ford coupons.  Here is a link to coupons on the ford site.  Not much going, but it changes.

http://owner.ford.com/maintenance/service-coupons-and-offers.html

By the way, Nice price on the link to the battery in Plus3golfer's link.  It may give a price point on getting the dealer to lower the price.  

Edited by obob

This is from my local dealers web site.

attachicon.gifCapture.JPG

I believe that is the deal I got.  I'll check (when I get back after Christmas) and also check the installation cost which I believe was around $25 as the battery monitoring data also had to be reset with their programming tool.  As I reported prior, I had my car in for a recall in the summer of 2015 (30 months after purchase) at 48k miles and made sure the dealer checked the battery as it failed to start my car several times.  My recharging and subsequent voltage measurements indicated the battery wouldn't hold a charge long.

Two more points.  IIRC, Ford Quick Service can't do the job because of the resetting of the battery monitoring.  So, don't expect to just drive in and get the battery replaced without an appointment.  Also, the C-Max PLUS battery has the 84 month warranty (not the 100 month MAX) prorated warranty and free replacement up to 18 months (not the 36 months as with the 100 month MAX prorated battery).

Edited by Plus 3 Golfer

Dealer charged me $109 and I did the installation myself.

Not difficult to do and nice since everything is sparkling clean.

There  was absolutely no warning.  Worked one day and the next day it didn't.  Would not hold a charge and the little "eye" in the top of the batttery stayed red, even with charge.

• 7 months later...

Just want to remind everyone who's interested, because I had a "Interstate Battery" Dealer tell a "Firestone" Mechanic, mine. That the 96R replaces the 67R. The 96R is not a direct swap for the group size battery 67R, period!

Edited by mikedard

• 1 month later...

Has anyone replaced the battery with a deep cycle one? I get the low battery alert often on my 2016 C-Max Hybrid because I run a camera charger off it regularly. I didn't drive the car yesterday and it ended up being completely drained to where I couldn't start the car and had to get a jump start. So I'd like to replace the 12v with one that has more capacity and can take a deep cycle without damage

Odyssey makes a 67R compatible one but I don't know if it requires modification http://www.powerstridebattery.com/car-batteries-light-truck-batteries-van-batteries/bci-group-67r-odyssey-pc1200mjt-battery

Edited by jackalopetx