Custom Search

Welcome to the C-MAX Hybrid Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the C-MAX Hybrid Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Here's some member benefits:
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create photo albums and post images. . .more!
Click here to create an account now

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Hybrid Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo
- - - - -

Hybrid vs Energi Heater

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 OFFLINE   jtespi

jtespi

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 14 posts
  • Region:U.S. Mountain
  • LocationLas Cruces, NM
  • My C-MAX's Year:2016
  • Current Vehicle:C-MAX Hybrid

Posted 14 February 2017 - 01:19 AM

Hi all, I just have a quick question about the heater.

In the manuals, if I remember correctly, it said the C-Max Energi had an electric heater while the C-Max Hybrid mostly relies on the engine for heating. Can anyone elaborate more on this? 

I believe what the manual was trying to say was that both models have an electric heater but the Energi's is more powerful and can heat the entire cabin without requiring the engine.

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#2 OFFLINE   obob

obob

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 560 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • LocationUS
  • My C-MAX's Year:2013
  • Current Vehicle:C-MAX SE

Posted 14 February 2017 - 01:45 AM

As far as I know, there is no electric heater on the Hybrid, and I assumed that the Energi has electric heat and it has heat taken from engine heat.

Perhaps an energi owner can comment, but I suspect the electric heat really drains the battery quickly.

Of course this doesn't include electric seat heaters.

#3 OFFLINE   jestevens

jestevens

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 176 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationPennsylvania
  • Current Vehicle:C-MAX SEL Hybrid

Posted 14 February 2017 - 07:37 AM

From the diagrams I've seen and previous discussion on the forum I think the Energi has electric heat, the Hybrid must rely on engine heat only.  This might be one area where the Prius has an advantage since at least the sedan has PTC heat. 

I guess Ford figured it was only worth doing in the Energi since it has the bigger battery pack?  Since the engine has to run to lubricate the transmission in the hybrid that they might as well use it for heat too..?

#4 OFFLINE   john*thomas

john*thomas

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 3 posts
  • LocationWV
  • Current Vehicle:Ford

Posted 14 February 2017 - 09:45 AM

My energi does work off electric. Works well. Gets things toasty but it sucks down the battery fast. If the reading is showing 18 miles battery power available and you turn the heat on it will drop to 13 or so. 

The heated seats don't take much power. Unless it's really cold I'm good with just the electric seats. 

#5 OFFLINE   stevedebi

stevedebi

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 842 posts
  • Region:U.S. Pacific Coast
  • LocationLA
  • My C-MAX's Year:2014
  • Current Vehicle:2014 C-Max Energi

Posted 18 February 2017 - 04:05 PM

Energi owner here. The Energi uses the same heating loop, but when in EV mode, it uses electric to heat the fluid. Once it gets to ICE mode, it uses the same loop, but heated by the engine. When in EV  mode, the temperature gauge shows the loop temperature.

It reduces range by about 1/4 or so, similar to the electric A/C.

• obob likes this

#6 OFFLINE   joshg678

joshg678

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 122 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationEarth
  • My C-MAX's Year:2016
  • Current Vehicle:16 C-Max Hybrid

Posted 20 February 2017 - 08:35 PM

It would be nice if that heater was included on the Hybrid to run during warmup and to keep the cabin warm in conjunction of the engine. Think the end result will be more efficient then just waste heat.

#7 OFFLINE   Smiling Jack

Smiling Jack

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 268 posts
  • LocationTexas
  • Current Vehicle:c-max energialso

Posted 20 February 2017 - 08:36 PM

Energi owner here. The Energi uses the same heating loop, but when in EV mode, it uses electric to heat the fluid. Once it gets to ICE mode, it uses the same loop, but heated by the engine. When in EV  mode, the temperature gauge shows the loop temperature.

It reduces range by about 1/4 or so, similar to the electric A/C.

My 2013 Energi uses noticeably more electric power for the electric heat than for the A/C.  The impact of the electric heat is less, however, when running the ICE

Otherwise I agree.

Custom Search

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·