2017 FORD CMAX, KIA NIRO and TOYOTA Prius V MPG TEST Drives

ptjones

Paul, we all know you're not normal, and after a year in a Niro, you'd probably modify and adapt to it as well as you have to the C-Max. I'd be interested to see what you think of the Sonata Hybrid, a more-comparable 2l drive train that will beat our 0-60 times.

Frank

I thought about your statement and you are probably right, but why would I get second best. :shrug:  If I get a New Car it would have to be better than what I have and NIRO wouldn't be better than what I have IMO. :)  Maybe FORD MODEL E will be better, we will see.

Paul

Wait a minute Frank, Car and Driver says 2017 CMAX 7.9 sec. http://www.caranddriver.com/ford/c-max,   Sonata Hybrid 8.1 sec.  http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2016-hyundai-sonata-hybrid-test-review :)      I like EVing everywhere, HWY, CITY, uphill, down hill and on the level. I like EVing from 0 to 50 mph or more depending on SOC. (State of Charge) :) Can't do all of that with NIRO. :sad:

Paul

Took a while to find your 7.9 sec.... it was an Energi. Scroll down and you'll get to the C-Max road test test data, from 2013, showing 0-60 time of 8.8 sec. I'd like to see more on the testing that gave the 7.9 number, like what was 0-100? 1/4 mile?

Frank

Took a while to find your 7.9 sec.... it was an Energi. Scroll down and you'll get to the C-Max road test test data, from 2013, showing 0-60 time of 8.8 sec. I'd like to see more on the testing that gave the 7.9 number, like what was 0-100? 1/4 mile?

Frank

Here is a couple more: http://autotk.com/0-60-times/ford/c-max-hybrid/   https://www.edmunds.com/ford/c-max-hybrid/2013/road-test-2/  both with 8.1 sec.   And another one at 8.2sec. http://www.motortrend.com/cars/ford/c-max/2013/2013-ford-c-max-hybrid-sel-first-test  and  MPGomatic said it was faster with Traction Control off. :shrug:  I think mine is faster IMO.  See if I can figure out a way to do it accurately. :)

Paul

Edited by ptjones

I check Fuelly to see how the NIRO average is doing. :)  There are 3 listed with a total of 4568 miles and 99.9 gal for 45.7 mpg, still need a lot more miles to get a true reading. Little tires are getting better MPG's than big tires.     2017 Prius V  5 cars, 17,316 miles and 38.7mpg. There are no 2017 CMAX's

Paul

Interesting that they came up with the similar review that I did. :)

Paul

It will be interesting when CR gets enough miles on it to do its FE tests. :)  

Here is the methodology that CR currently uses for its FE tests.  "We perform our own fuel-economy tests, independent of the government's often-quoted EPA figures and the manufacturers' claims. Using a precise fuel-flow measuring device spliced into the fuel line, we run two separate circuits. One is on a public highway at a steady 65 mph. That course is run in both directions to counteract any terrain and wind effects. A second is a simulated urban/suburban-driving test done at our track. It consists of predetermined acceleration, and deceleration rates, as well as idle time. Consumer Reports' overall fuel-economy numbers are derived from those fuel consumption tests."CR

I'm fairly sure that their original test of 2013 C-Max in addition to the two tests above also used a 150 mile open road test and then used three tests to get an overall FE.  CR nolonger does the 150 mile test which used "several drivers taking turns around a 30-mile loop of public roads that include a highway section, secondary roads, and rural byways. CR's overall fuel-economy numbers are derived from those three fuel consumption tests."

I did a test of a KIA NIRO EX at KIA of LaGrange, GA with my Prius/Highlander Hybrid friend Tony driving the NIRO and me driving my CMAX behind them so we would have as close as possible driving conditions comparison of MPG's for both cars. Tony said it drove very similar to his Highlander Hybrid concerning Throttle response and general Hybrid operation. We went 11.7 miles, 5 miles FWY and 6.7 miles 45-35mph city to get 48.4 mpg for NIRO EX and 52.8mpg /7 mi. EV for my 2013 CMAX SEL.  As far as conditions go it was 58F*, Salesman had the Niro running for around ten minutes while he explained all the features, got seat and mirrors adjusted. The last thing the Salesman did was reset the trip gauge to start the test drive.  I just followed behind them, but not to close and I didn't get separated from them during the test drive so everything worked as hoped. :)

What I have learned is KIA NIRO gets very close to EPA numbers, but My CMAX driven the way FORD Engineers Designed it to driven can easily do as good.  It is unfortunate that FORD's CMAX Manual only says drive smoothly  to improve Gas mileage, instead of how the Engineers designed to be driven. It took a number of CMAX drivers on the CMAX Forum w/OBDII gauges to figure out the most efficient way to drive the car. You need to drive more aggressively( 2 Bar acceleration method) than a Prius/NIRO, this charges the HVB quicker so you spend less time with the ICE running and more EV time.   For those that think CMAX is like Prius/ NIRO Hybirds, well it isn't.  It has the same Hybrid system as CMAX Energi Plugin just without the big HVB and Plug.  You can go 85 mph in EV and rarely does the ICE and EV work at the same time. If the ICE is running, it is moving the car and charging the battery. If you let off the accelerator the EV takes over and ICE stops.  I'm satisfied I've covered everything I was hoping to cover and see no need to test anymore. :) 

Paul 

This thread has a bunch of Interesting details on the Niro......I test drove a Niro...the acceleration from stopped position I did find very sluggish as compared to my 2016 C-max and that is what sticks in my mind from my test drive.  I didn't really Notice EV was not active in speeds greater that 40 MPH (I saw my C-Max in EV at 65 MPH with slight acceleration).  I am told the C-max can travel at speeds on EV up to 85 mph.  

But here's my bottom line; Ford apparently has decided to abandon the C-Max in 2018 or 2019.  Its vehicle size goes away and Ford will build some of its larger vehicles with the C-max Technology (F-150\Explorer)...and of course...resulting in lower MPG.  So the Hybrid Compact SUV design will be only offered (as I know it today) in the Niro and the Prius.  I don't like the looks of the Pruis....so it leaves me with the Niro.  

I have really liked my 2016 C-Max averaging 43MPG in its 2,500 driving experience.  It does have a few issues, one of which is a Squeaking Radiator Fan Motor (an issue reported on 2016 Ford F-150 as well).  I am not ready to have the car torn apart to replace the Fan Motor and its gigantic Shroud...it cannot be removed from the top...and looking at bottom engine compartment clearance, there is a lot of stuff that would need to be removed to get it out that way to replace it.  So for now, I'll put up with the squeak when the Radiator Fan motor spins down to a stop.  The other noise is the Keyless Start...it sometimes make a loud Thud.....most other Keyless starting Vehicles I have been in are totally silent (except for the ones that are gas...and of course you hear the Gas Engine Startup).     

I hate the fact that going forward that the only Hybrid vehicles in the C-Max style may be the Niro and the Pruis.   

This thread has a bunch of Interesting details on the Niro......I test drove a Niro...the acceleration from stopped position I did find very sluggish as compared to my 2016 C-max and that is what sticks in my mind from my test drive.  I didn't really Notice EV was not active in speeds greater that 40 MPH (I saw my C-Max in EV at 65 MPH with slight acceleration).  I am told the C-max can travel at speeds on EV up to 85 mph.   I have gone 80-85 a few times in EV. :)

But here's my bottom line; Ford apparently has decided to abandon the C-Max in 2018 or 2019.  Its vehicle size goes away and Ford will build some of its larger vehicles with the C-max Technology (F-150\Explorer)...and of course...resulting in lower MPG.  So the Hybrid Compact SUV design will be only offered (as I know it today) in the Niro and the Prius.  I don't like the looks of the Pruis....so it leaves me with the Niro. It sounds like the Model E will be based on Focus Platform.

I have really liked my 2016 C-Max averaging 43MPG in its 2,500 driving experience.  It does have a few issues, one of which is a Squeaking Radiator Fan Motor (an issue reported on 2016 Ford F-150 as well). I would get this fixed before your warranty runs out. I almost never run the fan so I guess I haven't worn it out yet.  :)  I am not ready to have the car torn apart to replace the Fan Motor and its gigantic Shroud...it cannot be removed from the top...and looking at bottom engine compartment clearance, there is a lot of stuff that would need to be removed to get it out that way to replace it.  So for now, I'll put up with the squeak when the Radiator Fan motor spins down to a stop.  The other noise is the Keyless Start...it sometimes make a loud Thud.....most other Keyless starting Vehicles I have been in are totally silent (except for the ones that are gas...and of course you hear the Gas Engine Startup).     

I hate the fact that going forward that the only Hybrid vehicles in the C-Max style may be the Niro (is down to 42.5 mpg) and the Pruis.   How long are you going to keep your CMAX? Hopefully 4-5 years anyways. That way it will pay for itself. :) I'm sure FORD will have a replacement by then.

Paul

Edited by ptjones