hi, 

new to the forums, i am very close to buying a cmax. [ i was thinking about a escape SEL, but the recalls and the lower mpg bother me] , i have been waiting to see the real world mpg and other thoughts by new owners.  since i do most city driving, i think the high mpg numbers will be realistic.... the car is very nice to drive.

i am going to buy a SEL, with the sync.  anyone have the glass roof? what do you think, since it doesnt open? [ in so.cal. my other sunroofs were almost always open for the calif sun.... do you miss not being able to open the glass?... is it worth another 1000 buckys for that piece of glass?  thats the only thing holding me back now. i will miss the open roof, but i know in hybrids, a sunroof will cut down on final MPG....

thanks...

Hi Dusty, I have the SEL model w/ glass roof.  I like it a lot.  It adds more light into the vehicle (especially on cloudy days like lately!).  My kids love it too.

I have own cars in the past with sliding moon/sun roof as well as a T-Top.  Personally, I don't miss not being able to open it.  I rather like it because I get the light w/o the wind noise!

I've got a huge panoramic sunroof in my current Jetta Sportwagen, but I almost never open the glass. It's nice to quickly vent the heat out on a hot day, but I close it as soon as I'm moving at any speed. I went ahead and asked for the sunroof on my pending Energi, mostly so I and my passengers can enjoy more light and a better view of the sky.

We have it on our car but only because we bought the car out of dealer stock.  I would never have considered ordering a car with it.  Now that we have had the car a month it is actually pretty nice because it makes the car feel much larger than it really is.  The power sunshade in the summer will be nice too since it will block alot of the suns heat.  I am glad I bought off the lot now and didn't order now...

I too have a panoramic glass roof on my current car, and I'll echo what the others said about liking how it brightens the car. Like the others, I don't drive around with it open very often, and I close it as soon as I'm going very fast.

Is it worth it? For $1200, probably not. I ordered my car with it but I'll admit that it's probably not the smartest spending decision I've ever made. For me, I can afford it and I want it, so I got it. But if I was stretching to buy the car or financing a large part of it, I would skip the pano roof. $1200 is a lot of money.

One thing that I was concerned about with my current car was whether the glass roof lets in a lot of heat. I live in an area where the sun shines all the time, but it turns out that this was not a big deal. The glass they use nowadays is really effectively tinted to block heat without being overly dark. And the sun shade is pretty effective, too. Heat and glare has not been any kind of issue for me.

Almost every car I've owned has had a sunroof I never opened, except to see if it worked, so the Panoramic Roof is just fine for my needs..  Is it worth $1200? That depends on what you want...I like how it lightens up the interior.  I agree with shaners it seems to make the cabin area "feel" larger...  I had my Panoramic Roof tinted the same as the windows and now I enjoy the extra light it lets in...without the UV concerns and glare now...

A couple things to consider with the sunroof - if you plan on getting a roof rack, it would be wise to verify the load capacity with the sunroof option.  I have a co-worker who did not order the roof on his Escape because it dramatically cut the load capacity of the roof.  The other consideration I'd have is if the sunroof will change the crashworthyness of the vehicle - I hope they crash test it with and without the sunroof, but I kind'a doubt that will happen.  The only test I've seen so far was the EU version and it did pretty good, but they used a stock C-max.

Edited by CNCGeek

hi, thanks for all the reply's  being in so.cal. we have sun and warm 300 days a year, so the temptation for a open sunroof is great. but the trade off of getting at least 40 mpg is the thing, as my explorer gets around 15, so i will forgo the roof, and enjoy passing all those gas stations, and all those pokey prius'!....

la to sf on one tank sounds really great to me......  

I got my Energi off the lot and had to take the roof or leave the car. I took the car and the roof and so far I am enjoying both. If you can afford the roof you probably won't be sorry you got it. Unless, as CNCGeek mentions, it affects crashworthiness or loading.  I am not sure where to find that information right now.

I'm like zhackwyatt.  I'm in Austin. It is hot as He!! here in the summer.  I don't need the light, I need the ventillation. Although I've had a roof in every one of my cars over the past couple of decades, I decided against it for this one.  I couldn't see spendng $1200 for an immovable piece of plastic. If I lived in a cooler "Grayer" area, I might go for it.

I'm like zhackwyatt.  I'm in Austin. It is hot as He!! here in the summer.  I don't need the light, I need the ventillation. Although I've had a roof in every one of my cars over the past couple of decades, I decided against it for this one.  I couldn't see spendng $1200 for an immovable piece of plastic. If I lived in a cooler "Grayer" area, I might go for it.

Same here in Dallas, getting hotter every summer.

How about theft, that is my big concern - could a car thief use a bat and break it, is it flimsy ?  (I don't leave anything valuable in sight)  

It is not flimsy, it is thick safety glass.  However, It is one of 11 windows in the car.  I would bet that if someone is taking a bat to a window the ones easy to reach through would probably be their first choice...

• 4 weeks later...

Um yeah. Thieves are too lazy to climb on top of a car and try to break a piece of thick laminated glass where there are thin, easily breakable side windows within easy reach.

Heat is not a factor either. In fact, quite the opposite: The glass reflects more heat than a regular metal roof.

Just drove one with the sunroof-- at last! That's what we ordered, but as we hadn't seen one, I didn't know if I would be happy with the decision, because we hadn't seen one. As others have said, it makes the car feel much more open and light-filled. I like it. IMHO, the big plus is for the folks in back. From the back, it feels like you can see the whole sky, whereas the driver and front passenger just feel the light. I think our kids will be even happier than us!

I don't think the cost is a purely rational decision. We're not getting the cheapest car possible (nor the most expensive) and it's more like: does 5% cost increase make me feel like YAY when I get in the car? Yeah.

• 2 weeks later...

We bought our SEL 303A package out of dealer stock and it had the glass roof on it.  I love it.  In the winter time, it helps to warm the interior of the car by letting the sun in.  Keeps me from having to use the heater so much.  My other cars have had sunroofs which I would use to vent the car but then close once I was up to speed. 

• 2 weeks later...

Just got my C-Max SEL 303A. Not a lot to choose from in the Houston area (come to think of it, haven't seen another on the road). The sunroof was something I originally didn't want if it didn't open being new to TX summers. But it also seems there weren't many around in the Houston area, and I wanted an SEL with the light interior, so I had to get the sunroof. So far, It's ok. My son is enjoying it more than myself. I wouldn't have spent the money, but I didn't let it stop me from getting it. 

Edited by TxWally

I have an SEL with the panoramic roof in Phoenix.  I like the light and open-ness it provides.

Will check on heat intrusion with summer coming, seeing of the rollout power cover blocks any heat.

I had a Honda Element with the sunroof in the rear ( quirky car) and it was not deeply tinted, but I found vinyl window film that was non-adhesive to apply which helped on heat transfer. 

Will use that also in summer on the C-Max if the A/C can't handle it.

I have an SEL with the panoramic roof in Phoenix.  I like the light and open-ness it provides.

Will check on heat intrusion with summer coming, seeing of the rollout power cover blocks any heat.

I had a Honda Element with the sunroof in the rear ( quirky car) and it was not deeply tinted, but I found vinyl window film that was non-adhesive to apply which helped on heat transfer. 

Will use that also in summer on the C-Max if the A/C can't handle it.

Hello neighbor! I would suggest tinting it with a good quality tint.

Zhack, thanks/ I remember with the Honda there was express warning about not tinting the glass roof.  Have not seen anything on other vehicles.

Phoenix has unique circumstance compared to other parts of the country, given the intense summers.  I will observe this year and see if A/C needs help or not.

Where did you get your C-Max?  I got one from Power Ford that was inbound, also talked with Sanderson but they did not have stock of what I wanted.