Took my 2016 C-Max on its first Highway Drive....total distance 250 Miles....with no City Driving. Come away impressions, excellent. This is my first entry into the Hybrid world of driving. Not having anything to compare this drive to, there were a few things following this drive that gives rise to some concerns but maybe unwarranted as I have nothing to compare...and maybe my concerns are Normal for a Hybrid and or, the C-Max.
1) I noted occasionally a very split second vibration as the Elec engine handed off to the Gas engine....I was rather impressed that I even saw the car was being powered by the Elec engine at Highway speeds; even at 65 MPH I saw the Elec Engine takeover for short distances. It was at the hand off from Elec to Gas....again not all the Hands off...that I felt what I would best describe as a very slight vibration not sure I didn't heard a slight click from the right side of the rear compartment...as if a Switch or Relay that controls the Hands from Elec to Gas didn't make a slight sound. This would seem a Normal thing as the Gas Engine does require a Startup and this may be that vibration I felt....very minor, but once again noticeable. It was enough of a feel that I knew I was switching from Elec to Gas Power. Again, I did not notice it on Gas to Elec only occasionally on Elec to Gas and not on every hand off....so is this Normal?
2) After I got home.....about 5 or 10 mins after turning off the Car I heard what sounded like a fan. Exploring where the noise was coming from, I keyed into the Rear Compartment and concluded it must be a fan cooling the Batteries? My guess it went on for about 10 to 15 Mins before it shutoff. This again would seem Normal....and I am thinking on the good side, its good to know this Monitoring process that monitors the battery temperature kicked in as designed (I have nothing blocking the Intake or output of the air circulating for the Battery).
1) The C-Max has plenty of acceleration at the higher speeds in Fact it felt very much like the responsiveness I knew from driving past V-6 Gas Engines.
2) I thought driving at 60 to 70 Speeds, the Gas engine would be exclusive; nice to see the Mix of Elec and Gas
3) Destination I was driving to and back....I was in a Bumper to Bumper stop and go slow....12 to 14 Mile Traffic backup on a Highway with Posted speed limit of 70. The entire time the C-Max was able to go thru this Backup totally on the Elec Engine. While the zillion other cars were using Gas....I was using None. In fact, gas mileage increased during the Backup.
4) Overall the 250 Mile Highway trip.....when I got home and powered off, the Report card as I call it showed my Gas Mileage at 45.7. I drove this same trip previously with a 2014 Honda CR-V...and experienced about the same Traffic backup pattern, and got 38MPG. I therefore was very pleased with the C-Max's Highway Mileage; 2001 Minivan; same trip....23 MPG.
5) It handled great....very comfortably and for the most-part, quiet ride. I noticed some Gas engine roar at times when I accelerated from slower speeds getting back to 65. Pretty much the same level of sound I have always heard when driving in town and starting from a stopped position and the Elec engine hands off to the gas engine.
6) At the higher speeds which topped at 70....I never felt like it was laboring....and it had plenty speed yet to go.
Feedback especially to my CONCERNS will put my mind at ease that my Hybrid is acting as the 2016 Hybrid should....
Edited by Telerisk, 18 March 2017 - 05:17 PM.