Battery Replacement?

MichaelM

Have any of the high mileage users, or others had occasion to have had to replace their high voltage batteries?

I'm just curious. I remember that the original warranty was for 100,000 miles on the batteries and I've exceeded that in my 4 years ownership. So I was just wondering if this is something I should start planning for or if the actual usage lifespan should well exceed that number.

My feeling is that one should see an increase of the charge/discharge cycles or decrease in the length of EV usage that should be noticeable when they reach their end of life cycle.

But, I really don't know. So I'm just posing the question.

Have any of the high mileage users, or others had occasion to have had to replace their high voltage batteries?

I'm just curious. I remember that the original warranty was for 100,000 miles on the batteries and I've exceeded that in my 4 years ownership. So I was just wondering if this is something I should start planning for or if the actual usage lifespan should well exceed that number.

My feeling is that one should see an increase of the charge/discharge cycles or decrease in the length of EV usage that should be noticeable when they reach their end of life cycle.

This subject was discussed in one of the topics - not sure which one.  The quick answer is don't start planning for it.  It should last a longggg time.  No one has had to replace one as far as I know.

Edited by obob

Agree with obob.  Just drive, enjoy and don't worry.  The Ford engineers are using a very small piece of the HVB.   In normal driving you are likely driving between a SOC of about 42% and 55% of the capacity of the battery.  So, those charge / discharge cycle will have little impact on longevity.  The max SOC is about 70% (going down longer / steeper hills).  The minimum SOC is slightly above 30% but you'll have to "try" to deplete the charge to get that low.  So, how many times a day / year does one charge to 70 % and deplete to 30+%? - not very many.  Even the 70 / 30 cycle is not really that severe.  

There's a graph that show Fords testing and modeling of HVB life.  When I find it I'll post it.  Here's the link.

Edited by Plus 3 Golfer

I also agree with obob and Plus 3 Golfer and I have 150K miles on mine. :) I watch my HVB SOC(state of charge) all the time with a ScanGaugeII and this is what I have seen.  

1. Normal operating range is 38-65% SOC

2. You can get lower SOC if you are very careful with the accelerator going down hill to 32% or are in EV+ Mode close to home or work you can hit 32%SOC. Also if you park the CMAX overnight with mid to low 30's%SOC, in the morning I have seen 26.7%SOC, but ICE still starts. :)

3. You can't get higher than 65% under driving conditions, but if you have been driving for an half an hour or more and stop with 55-60% SOC for a few hours, the HVB will cool off and I have seen 80% SOC. You can go for miles when you first startup in the morning if you keep the speed below 35mph. :)

4. The useful capacity  does go down over time, still reads the same, but it charges quicker to 65% than it did when new.

Paul 

The tests I've seen indicate that manufacturers expect the batteries to last over 10 years and at least 300,000 miles. In Ford's case, I've not seen the actual testing but they do indicate they should last "the life of the car," that the car should "die" from other causes before the battery needs replacing. Hyundai, with their LiPo battery tests, got results that show they should last over 300,000 miles. As others have stated, even in high mileage vehicles such as taxis, the real life results appear to be confirming the manufacturers tests.

• 4 months later...

2 years ago we purchased a 2013 hybrid cmax and after fixing gps, found the car had a dead battery next morning.  ford replaced charging unit and battery but still car not in spec.  told them to fix it and find out where the battery drain was occurring.  2 wks later said it was something to do with the large 150 A fuse?  replaced it and now no problem for 2 years.  make sure system voltage is 14.5 and and not 13.5.  13.5 indicated problem.. bought a cheap volt meter to plug into cigarette holder to check

• 4 years later...

Be careful when talking about batteries; the C-Max has two completely separate and different  batteries.  The first is the lithium-ion battery that is used to power the car when running in ev (electric vehicle) mode.  The second is a conventional, although quite small, 12 volt battery.

I presume the 300,000 mile statement refers to the lithium-ion battery as the 12v battery typically lasts about 3-5 years, say 60 to 100k miles.

Cheers

On 10/31/2021 at 10:08 AM, Bill-N said:

Be careful when talking about batteries; the C-Max has two completely separate and different  batteries.  The first is the lithium-ion battery that is used to power the car when running in ev....

I presume the 300,000 mile statement refers to the lithium-ion battery as the 12v battery typically lasts about 3-5 years, say 60 to 100k miles.

Cheers

Bill,  thanks for following up and making this clear. I appreciate that a lot. I'm looking at them more seriously now because of this very useful owner insight.