2017 Hyundai Ioniq Hybrid -- Niro's cousin

MaxHeadroom

Great Car and Driver May 2017 issue review.  Those guys write the best reviews.

I get the paper magazine, and it looks like the caranddriver.com website does NOT have it yet.  Later for sure.

Libraries have it now.

Looks like most of the same criticisms of the related Niro apply to the Elantra-based Ioniq Hybrid.  I'd get an Ioniq in full-electric (no gasoline engine on board) form, but not the hybrid form.  (My other non-Cmax car is a Ford Focus Electric.)   The same driveline clunkiness the Niro has haunts the Ioniq.  Just not good enough for me.  Our CMax is so smooth it spoils us.

Car and Driver said they got 45 MPG with the Ioniq with performance tires similar to our CMax's tires, which is exactly the MPG I get long-term in mixed driving in my CMax.

Besides the clunky Ioniq/Niro drivetrain, its a decent vehicle, priced kind of low.

I visited the Denver Auto Show yesterday and sat in an Ioniq.   Its like an Elantra, which isn't bad.

Looks like the lowest base Ioniq price is about the same market price of a CMax SE currently!  ($22K)

A Kia Niro goes for a thousand more around here.

Comparing the Ioniq to other hybrids at the show was interesting.

Some hybrids are as good as the CMax, but invariably cost more.  I liked the Accord Hybrid, and of course Ford had a Fusion Hybrid there.

One glaring fact:  Nothing I can find has the value with the performance the CMax has except for the Fusion Hybrid which is selling for a $23k market price currently.  Even the PriusV  and Accord Hybrids are many thousands more.

I visited the Denver Auto Show yesterday and sat in an Ioniq.   Its like an Elantra, which isn't bad.

Looks like the lowest base Ioniq price is about the same market price of a CMax SE currently!  ($22K)

A Kia Niro goes for a thousand more around here.

Comparing the Ioniq to other hybrids at the show was interesting.

Some hybrids are as good as the CMax, but invariably cost more.  I liked the Accord Hybrid, and of course Ford had a Fusion Hybrid there.

One glaring fact:  Nothing I can find has the value with the performance the CMax has except for the Fusion Hybrid which is selling for a $23k market price currently.  Even the PriusV  and Accord Hybrids are many thousands more.

I suspect you'll see the base Ioniq at under $20K, with rebates, in 6-8 months. Hyundai provides pretty aggressive rebates on their hybrids; for example, the Sonata Hybrid currently has a $2500 cash rebate, and my recollection is that it had a $5000 rebate last summer (at least in my area). Of course, much will depend on how well the Ioniqs sell.

Interestingly, I was at the Houston Auto Show yesterday (normally it would be in January, moved because of the Super Bowl). The first car you saw, when walking in, was the C-Max Energi.

Edited by raadsel

I suspect you'll see the base Ioniq at under $20K, with rebates, in 6-8 months. Hyundai provides pretty aggressive rebates on their hybrids; for example, the Sonata Hybrid currently has a $2500 cash rebate, and my recollection is that it had a $5000 rebate last summer (at least in my area). Of course, much will depend on how well the Ioniqs sell.

Interestingly, I was at the Houston Auto Show yesterday (normally it would be in January, moved because of the Super Bowl). The first car you saw, when walking in, was the C-Max Energi.

That's surprising, they didn't have one at the Atlanta Show. :sad: I guess they ran out of room.

Paul

That lower price would make the Ioniq attractive finally.  Our CMax (and/or a Fusion Hyb) reigns as the best deal right now.  

Ford is nailing it!!!  May have to get a CMax t-shirt or something to show off our superiority..... :happy feet:

Here is what TrueCar.com is saying the market value is for bottom base-models in each hybrid:

Ioniq Hybrid and CMax:  $22k

Kia Niro,  Fusion Hybrid,  Kia Optima Hybrid, all at: $23k

Accord Hybrid, RAV4 Hybrid, Camry Hybrid, PriusV:  Pluck down about ~$6k over what a CMax costs.

With a big enough incentive, an Optima Hyb (or Ioniq Hyb looks OK, but a Fusion Hyb is still better in my view.

Want to feel even better about your CMax purchase???  Note the newest Chevy Volt sells around here for $32k market value!!  Expensive, even for a plug-in.  With federal and state subsidies, that figure may go down a bit though, not sure how much.

• 2 months later...

Alex on Autos posted his review on the Ioniq. The comparison to the C-Max starts at the 23:24 mark. He gives the C-Max the edge when it comes to head room and acceleration, but says the Ioniq has better fuel economy, cargo space, a lower MSRP, and even better handling (and least in upper trims).

Edited by raadsel

Seems a bit biased.  He didn't quote the 0-60 acceleration for the C-Max which is between 7.6-9 seconds, little faster than 9.8.  His handling comment is very subjective.  I was driving my 2013 C-Max the other day in rush hour freeway traffic at 65 MPH.  A truck just about side swiped me and I had to very quickly turn to avoid a collision.  I was amazed afterward how well the C-Max handled the very quick turn at 65 MPH.  It remained stable, I didn't skid and I retained control.  I am not sure if it was the weight of the vehicle or what but I was glad I was driving a C-Max when it happened.  

Oh, and by the way, my MPG for the month of June so far as reported by my Automatic ODB II adapter: 659 miles, 48.4 MPG