How to Drive a CMAX Hybrid/FFH to get Great Gas Mileage

Interesting idea, but I replaced my rear tires because I got a hole in the sidewall of one of them. :sad:  Practically speaking to do it you would have to look for favorable winds, temps 75-85*F and watch the elevation changes. The most efficient way to drive for MPG's is to drive non stop, don't let the ICE cool off when you stop.   1,000 miles is a long ways, about half way across the Country. Preferably you want to use 93 octane Pure Gas and then add NOS Octane Booster, I've used 90 octane Pure Gas and NOS Octane Booster. :) My wife says she doesn't want to go on anymore MPG Record breaking trips so I guess I will have to do it by myself. :sad: You need to average atleast 72 mpg to do it, so I was 4 mpg short on my last Record Breaking Run of 68 mpg/950 miles. :gaah: LOL :)

Paul

post-143-0-86557400-1536937602_thumb.jpgI'll help you out. :)  You can have some fun with this by having your HVB regen charged up to the top when you turn off the car.  Let it cool off for a few hours so when you go to start it up the HVB charge should be maxed out and should be able to go around 2 miles without starting the ICE if you stay below 35 mph. The ICE will automatically start the first time when you get to 35 mpg to lube the trans. If you stop before the ICE starts you will get 999 mpg for that distance. :)

You will be amassed how powerful the motors are when you stat out with high charge and cool HVB..

Paul 

• 3 weeks later...

I replaced my two rear tires with 78k mi. with new Michelin OEM tires and already have 5k mi. on them, it seems I have lost maybe a 1 mpg with the new tires. This backs up what people have said that mpg's improve with tire wear. That being said I'm still getting 61 mpg on Smart Gauge and looking to get 800 mi. on this tank. Currently have 620 miles. :)  My old Michelin OEM tires on  the front have 83k mi. and should make 90k mi. using 50 psi tire pressure.

Paul

Just gassed up.  Best tank this year.

attachicon.gifgas.png

Good Job! :)  You could have made 600 miles easily, you had at least 2 gallons left. :)  Most of my fill ups  are mid to high 12's gallons on Smart Gauge.  This is why I average about 700 miles per tank. When Smart Gauge reads 0 miles to Empty you have around 25 miles more you can go.

Paul

Good Job! :) You could have made 600 miles easily, you had at least 2 gallons left. :) Most of my fill ups are mid to high 12's gallons on Smart Gauge. This is why I average about 700 miles per tank. When Smart Gauge reads 0 miles to Empty you have around 25 miles more you can go.

Paul

I go for highest mpg’s , can’t fill tank to top in Oregon. Is full when it clicks off.

And it just keeps going up.  :)  Life Time Score 50.2 mpg and Fuelly.com average 49.2 mpg, 55.5 mpg average for the last 10 fill ups.  Also I haven't reset trip 2 in about 76k miles and My Smart Gauge average is 54 mpg. Bottom line is even with 212k miles on the Odometer  you can improve your Life Time average MPG's if you want too.   :)  post-143-0-21206000-1539443162_thumb.jpg

Paul

Cold air is more dense so mileage will drop in winter even if nothing else changes - sadly its unavoidable.  But there are things you can do:

1. Use a grill cover to help warm up the ICE more quickly and keep it warmer.  A warm engine is more efficient.  ptjones and others have a lot of experience with them - read their posts.
  2. I have no experience with this item but others have tried various ways of preheating the ICE in the morning.
  3. Use seat heaters if you have them instead of heating the whole car.  Its amazing how much warmer you feel.
  4. Use recirculate with the heater as much as possible.
  5. A lot of us run tire pressure at 50 psi or close to it - might help a bit.
  6. Use no ethanol gasoline if available.  (I use it exclusively.)
  7. Use premium octane fuel.  I have no experience here but others do and see better mileage since the engine computer adjusts for higher octane making the engine more efficient.  Better mileage but higher cost per mile.

That 54 mpg average is fantastic!

This is our first season of cool weather driving. My wife is noticing a drop in mileage despite maintaining the same 40 psi tire pressure and minimal use of the heater. What steps can we take to improve mileage when temps drop below 40 F degrees?  She's spoiled with a 54mpg average!

Go back to Post #1 http://fordcmaxhybridforum.com/topic/6568-how-to-drive-a-cmax-hybridffh-to-get-great-gas-mileage/   and do everything that is in the Videos and your MPG's will improve.  Oil pan heater helps make up some of the cool temp problems. :)

Paul

Cold air is more dense so mileage will drop in winter ...

I got a chuckle out of that...

Mileage drops because the engine is colder when you start it, so it must run longer to reach minimum operating temperature. It continues to run whenever necessary to maintain internal temperature, unless your average speed is high enough to keep the engine warm. This is the kind of thing you might expect, as the ambient temperature varies. Note that the first winter, I took the expressway. 

post-1320-0-48617500-1518465789_thumb.jpg

Air density does increase, but only 10% from 77 to 32F, and aerodynamic losses are less than 10% at 54 MPG. You won't notice a 1% effect. 

HAve fun,

Frank, who has driven cold enough to not charge (below 32F) as well as not EV (below -5F). The car deals with it by running the ICE.   

OK Frank, so you hit on one of my pet peeves - people making statements that, though correct, aren't quantified and may have little or no significance!  However, in this case (and to keep this forum alive!), I'm going to take possible issue with "less than 10% at 54 MPG" and "You won't notice a 1% effect."  gmcgliss didn't say how fast they drive to get 54 mpg - I've gotten over 50 mpg at 55 mph, even 65 mph on "rolling hills" where EV mode cuts in a lot.  At these speeds wouldn't aero losses be more like 50% with a density effect upwards of 5%?  In any event, I could quickly agree that a cold engine is far more significant.

Thanks everyone for your replies.  Will read further for tips to counteract the cold engine temp and the 89 octane fuel. The seasonal graphs are great. Her commute is 45 miles round trip, with speeds on county roads averaging 45 mph. The 54mpg-to-date is over 6400 miles since May 2018. She's spoiled now! 

This summer she made a few trips on Chicago area expressways where 70-80 mph is the norm - and mileage drops accordingly. 

Has anyone charted the functionality of the shutters and when they operate?

Yes, many times.  I've got several posts with graphs describing / showing the operation under certain conditions wihich is consistent with what hyridbear saw and posted on the Fusion Hybrid forum. I have validated that my grille shutter actual position shown in ForScan appears to be the actual physical position of the shutters.  The shutters can move through 16 positions from 0-90 degrees or about 5.5 degrees per step depending on ambient temperature, AC on/off, speed, and coolant temperature being the most significant variables to shutter operation.  There may be other variables that I am not aware of.

I believe that adding grille covers "confuses" the shutter control algorithm as the algorithm gets feedback of actual shutter position.  My guess is that when commanded performance (such as shutters commanded to open expecting certain effect on temp) doesn't match expected performance within an error bandwidth (shutter indicated matches commanded yet temp is outside expected), the shutters may default to commanded full open / close when perhaps they should be partially open. One may also see errratic shutter operation from fully closed to fully open trying to match performance being seen with shutter position.