How to Drive a CMAX Hybrid/FFH to get Great Gas Mileage

Just filled up my tank, actual 59.9 mpg,826 mi. and 13.8 gal.  So about 50% HWY with 2- 100 mi. trips on I-85/I-285 and about 30% of the time with bike on bike rack. :)

This is just an idea of what can be done now with all the tips from the YouTube videos and warmer temps. :) 

Paul 

Edited by ptjones

Just got back from Lighthouse trip to Virginia Coast and figured out a strategy for keeping WT up when using A/C. I turn the A/C on going uphill when I need the ICE and turn the A/C button off going down hill, still leave fan on in recirculate. This turns off the Radiator fan when the ICE isn't creating heat and keeps WT higher, I was seeing 170's *F WT with A/C on all the time with center Grill Cover and partial Lower Grill Cover on and OT around 90*F. :sad:

Paul 

Edited by ptjones

• 2 weeks later...

Filled up after our Lighthouse looking trip to VA and got 53.37 mpg with A/C use at 40%. I think when I got back I was 50 mpg at about 10 gal. used, the rest of the tank was driven at slower speeds so tank average ended up 53.37 mpg. The good news was my Fuelly average went up to 47.9 mpg. :yahoo:  So even with 157k miles, my average keeps going up. :) I went to the Quick Trip Station, because they had Ethanol Free for $.02 more than Premium. Unfortunately it is  only 87 Octane and Premium is 93 so at best I would get the same as Premium MPG's and maybe less so I stuck with Premium for this time. I did add a bottle of NOS Octane Booster which cleans the Injectors and adds  2 Octane to the gas. :) Pretty quick my MPG's went up 3 mpg's to around 59 mpg's from 56 mpg's.

NOSOctanebooster

Up to 675 views of my videos now. :)

Paul

I've watched your videos Paul. They're very informative and detailed! I just got my car almost three weeks ago and I've watched rewatched them so that I can maximize what I'm getting out of my new car.

I got 500 miles on my tank and used 11.100 gallons. Only got 45.34 MPG though :(

Are you using the info from all Three videos? Check your Odometer with portable GPS, it should be off by 2%, you are getting 2% better MPG's than you think you are and also 2% farther for starters. Are you using Premium and 50psi in the tires? :headscratch:

Paul

I don't actually have a GPS to use :( and I'm not sure what PSI I'm running at the moment. Tire gauge broke, but I'll be getting them to at least 40 after I get a new gauge.

I would recommend 50psi, I got easily 64K miles on two sets and will do it on a third set. Max psi is 51 cold on the tire and I talked to Michelin and they said that if I was getting even ware at 50psi, that is what they would recommend and I do. :)  Someone posted that the tires don't blowup until 200lbs.  As far as not having GPS, you can us mile markers on the FWY to check.  Distance will vary a little with tread depth. I see 2 to 1.6% difference in distance with my car, all CMAX's should be the same.   If you are interested I do get out your way on occasion we might be able to meet, you can PM if you like. :)

Paul

Hey Paul, if you're ever up this way you're more than welcome! 

Honestly... I don't drive much on the highway. Maybe 100 miles a tank, so it wouldn't do much good for me! And I'm running the dealership standard Goodyear Assurance Comforttred tires.

I'm mad that I forgot to ask for my old tires off my Focus when I traded it in. I have another Focus that my partner drives that needs new tires. Those new ones on my car only had 10,000 miles on them :(

Hey Paul, if you're ever up this way you're more than welcome! 

Honestly... I don't drive much on the highway. Maybe 100 miles a tank, so it wouldn't do much good for me! And I'm running the dealership standard Goodyear Assurance Comforttred tires.

I'm mad that I forgot to ask for my old tires off my Focus when I traded it in. I have another Focus that my partner drives that needs new tires. Those new ones on my car only had 10,000 miles on them :(

Give your Partner your tires and put OEM Michelin's on your car, probably worth 2 mpg.  With City driving you should be in the 50's mpg, Grill Covers would help to warmup WT quicker to improve MPGs. :)  Ware in OH?

Paul

Yesterday was just another reminder of how using A/C on short trips can hurt your MPG's. Drove into town about 5 mi. with the A/C on, it was 88*F/ 90% humidity and my Wife doesn't do well with those kinds of conditions without A/C on. :sad:  On the trip back to work I noticed I only got 38mpg and my average had dropped from 58.2mpg to 56.5mpg.  :drop:  I think we'll take my Wife's car today. :lol2:  The total number of views for video's is up to  1862 now. :)

Paul

Well it has taken 5 days to get my average on this tank back up to 58.2 mpg with 282 mi. on tank, although I did use a little A/C yesterday with my Wife in the car.  YouTube video views up to 1944. :)

Paul 

Edited by ptjones

Filled up for pretty cheap earlier! 20 cents off per gallon means that I didn't spend all too much to get to full! Car indicated 700 miles to empty once full!

Miles: 542.3
EV Miles: 335.6
EV Mode: 61.9%
Indicated MPG: 51.1
Gallons Indicated: 10.59
Actual Gallons: 10.860

MPG: 49.93

Great Job! :yahoo: If you check your Odometer with GPS you'll gain another 0.5 mpg. :)

Paul

Edited by ptjones

Lunch today I went up to Decatur via I-85/I-20, 40 mi. and 8 mi city streets and average 59 MPG's. Speeds were 50 to 80 on FWY. Coming back averaged 60.4 mi. MPG's with OT of 85-90*F. I started the trip with 58.2 mpg average and ended with 58.4 with over 600 mi. on tank. Miles to Empty is 170 mi. :)

And YouTube views up to 2060 now. :)

Paul

It's come to my attention that some CMAX Owners don't know the YouTube videos are on Post #1.  I'll repost here.

I have made three YouTube Videos for driving a CMAX the way it was designed to be driven Called How to drive a CMAX Hybrid to get great gas mileage, Also CMAX Mods to improve MPG's and Hypermiling to improve MPG's.

https://www.youtube.com/edit?o=U&video_id=5uHoZ5QhVXs

Efficiency and Aerodynamic Mods:  The First thing to do is to raise your tire pressure of your Michelin's to 50psi which is safe to do and I got 64k miles for each set of tires on my CMAX.  :)https://www.youtube.com/edit?o=U&video_id=Xmuw6275PRw

Hypermiling Video not recommended for those who can't focus on situational awareness of traffic around you all the time. https://www.youtube.com/edit?o=U&video_id=s09mywF78g4

Let me know what you think, any improvements.  :)

Paul

Edited by ptjones

• 2 weeks later...

One reminder that if you are stopped for any extended period of time, waiting on long signal, train crossing, drive through etc. even though the ICE stops at least shift into Park or better yet turn off car. Remember you are using power from HVB to keep things going which will bring the MPG's down. With a ScanGuageII you can watch it go down. :sad:

YouTube views are up to 2237 now :) .

Paul

Great Job! :yahoo: If you check your Odometer with GPS you'll gain another .5  0.5 mpg. :)

Paul

At first, I wondered what you were smoking.  Then, I adjusted my bifocals and saw the decimal point.  Just so others don't think the miles are off that much.  

I never needed bifocals until after my cataract surgery.  But it's amazing how much brighter the world is especially at night. :)