Custom Search

Welcome to the C-MAX Hybrid Forum

Sign In  Log in with Facebook

Create Account
Welcome to the C-MAX Hybrid Forum. You must register to create topics or post in our community, but don't worry this is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to signup. Here's some member benefits:
  • Start new topics and reply to others
  • Subscribe to topics and forums to get email updates
  • Get your own profile page and make new friends
  • Send personal messages to other members
  • Create photo albums and post images. . .more!
Click here to create an account now

Guest Message by DevFuse

Get you C-MAX Hybrid Registered in the official Ford Authorized Registry. More here.

Photo

How to Drive a CMAX Hybrid/FFH to get Great Gas Mileage

Tips gas mileage MPGs FE

• Please log in to reply
71 replies to this topic

#41 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Platinum Member
  • 3,148 posts
  • Region:U.S. Southern Atlantic
  • LocationNewnan, GA
  • My C-MAX's Year:2013
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-MAX SEL

Posted 06 July 2017 - 10:23 AM

Yesterday was just another reminder of how using A/C on short trips can hurt your MPG's. Drove into town about 5 mi. with the A/C on, it was 88*F/ 90% humidity and my Wife doesn't do well with those kinds of conditions without A/C on. :sad:  On the trip back to work I noticed I only got 38mpg and my average had dropped from 58.2mpg to 56.5mpg.  :drop:  I think we'll take my Wife's car today. :lol2:  The total number of views for video's is up to  1862 now. :)

Paul

Lose this advertisement by becoming a member. Click here to create a free account.

#42 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

C-Max Hybrid Member

• 3,148 posts
  • LocationNewnan, GA

Posted 11 July 2017 - 09:47 AM

Well it has taken 5 days to get my average on this tank back up to 58.2 mpg with 282 mi. on tank, although I did use a little A/C yesterday with my Wife in the car.  YouTube video views up to 1944. :)

Paul 

Edited by ptjones, 11 July 2017 - 10:58 AM.

#43 OFFLINE   kyledamron

kyledamron

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 20 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • LocationOhio
  • Current Vehicle:C-Max Hybrid

Posted 14 July 2017 - 06:46 PM

Filled up for pretty cheap earlier! 20 cents off per gallon means that I didn't spend all too much to get to full! Car indicated 700 miles to empty once full!

Miles: 542.3
EV Miles: 335.6
EV Mode: 61.9%
Indicated MPG: 51.1
Gallons Indicated: 10.59
Actual Gallons: 10.860

MPG: 49.93

• ptjones and C-MaxSea like this

#44 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

C-Max Hybrid Member

• 3,148 posts
  • LocationNewnan, GA

Posted 15 July 2017 - 07:56 AM

Filled up for pretty cheap earlier! 20 cents off per gallon means that I didn't spend all too much to get to full! Car indicated 700 miles to empty once full!

Miles: 542.3
EV Miles: 335.6
EV Mode: 61.9%
Indicated MPG: 51.1
Gallons Indicated: 10.59
Actual Gallons: 10.860

MPG: 49.93

Great Job! :yahoo: If you check your Odometer with GPS you'll gain another 0.5 mpg. :)

Paul

Edited by ptjones, 01 August 2017 - 02:54 PM.

• kyledamron likes this

#45 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

C-Max Hybrid Member

• 3,148 posts
  • LocationNewnan, GA

Posted 18 July 2017 - 04:26 PM

Lunch today I went up to Decatur via I-85/I-20, 40 mi. and 8 mi city streets and average 59 MPG's. Speeds were 50 to 80 on FWY. Coming back averaged 60.4 mi. MPG's with OT of 85-90*F. I started the trip with 58.2 mpg average and ended with 58.4 with over 600 mi. on tank. Miles to Empty is 170 mi. :)

And YouTube views up to 2060 now. :)

Paul

• C-MaxSea and kyledamron like this

#46 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

C-Max Hybrid Member

• 3,148 posts
  • LocationNewnan, GA

Posted 20 July 2017 - 09:53 AM

It's come to my attention that some CMAX Owners don't know the YouTube videos are on Post #1.  I'll repost here.

I have made three YouTube Videos for driving a CMAX the way it was designed to be driven Called How to drive a CMAX Hybrid to get great gas mileage, Also CMAX Mods to improve MPG's and Hypermiling to improve MPG's.

https://www.youtube...._id=5uHoZ5QhVXs

Efficiency and Aerodynamic Mods:  The First thing to do is to raise your tire pressure of your Michelin's to 50psi which is safe to do and I got 64k miles for each set of tires on my CMAX.  :)https://www.youtube...._id=Xmuw6275PRw

Hypermiling Video not recommended for those who can't focus on situational awareness of traffic around you all the time. https://www.youtube...._id=s09mywF78g4

Let me know what you think, any improvements.  :)

Paul

Edited by ptjones, 20 July 2017 - 10:22 AM.

#47 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

C-Max Hybrid Member

• 3,148 posts
  • LocationNewnan, GA

Posted 20 July 2017 - 10:15 AM

Edited by ptjones, 20 July 2017 - 10:17 AM.

#48 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

C-Max Hybrid Member

• 3,148 posts
  • LocationNewnan, GA

Posted 01 August 2017 - 12:57 PM

One reminder that if you are stopped for any extended period of time, waiting on long signal, train crossing, drive through etc. even though the ICE stops at least shift into Park or better yet turn off car. Remember you are using power from HVB to keep things going which will bring the MPG's down. With a ScanGuageII you can watch it go down. :sad:

YouTube views are up to 2237 now :) .

Paul

• kyledamron likes this

#49 OFFLINE   Plus 3 Golfer

Plus 3 Golfer

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 1,749 posts
  • Region:Decline
  • LocationAZ
  • Current Vehicle:2013

Posted 01 August 2017 - 01:56 PM

Great Job! :yahoo: If you check your Odometer with GPS you'll gain another .5  0.5 mpg. :)

Paul

At first, I wondered what you were smoking.  Then, I adjusted my bifocals and saw the decimal point.  Just so others don't think the miles are off that much.  

I never needed bifocals until after my cataract surgery.  But it's amazing how much brighter the world is especially at night. :)  

• ptjones likes this

#50 OFFLINE   markd

markd

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 385 posts
  • Region:U.S. Great Lakes
  • LocationUnited States
  • My C-MAX's Year:2014
  • Current Vehicle:c-max sel

Posted 01 August 2017 - 02:02 PM

Paul, I occasionally find myself waiting on my wife and if you shut the car off when you park and then restart it as long as you sit there it won't have any effect on your mpg's as long as you shut it off and restart it before you leave.
  • ptjones and kyledamron like this

#51 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

C-Max Hybrid Member

• 3,148 posts
  • LocationNewnan, GA

Posted 01 August 2017 - 03:01 PM

At first, I wondered what you were smoking.  Then, I adjusted my bifocals and saw the decimal point.  Just so others don't think the miles are off that much.  

I never needed bifocals until after my cataract surgery.  But it's amazing how much brighter the world is especially at night. :)  

I fixed it. :) Thanks.  I use glasses on the Computer too!  :) BTW I don't smoke. :)  

Paul

• kyledamron likes this

#52 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

C-Max Hybrid Member

• 3,148 posts
  • LocationNewnan, GA

Posted 04 August 2017 - 05:50 PM

A couple of days ago I found another good reason to have wheel covers. I was going through my favorite roundabout  as I was exiting my car slid out and caught the curb with my front wheel and slightly touched the rear wheel. I assumed the worst , but was surprised the wheel covers protected the wheels so their was no damage to wheels. The front tire did get a gash in it from the LEXAN cover breaking, but is still holding air. Front cover was broken, but the rear one wasn't, nylon screw to keep cover from rotating did break off.  I ordered a used tire with the same tread depth to replace the front one. The car seems fine so far.smile.png  BTW the going price for refurbished wheel is around $200 on eBay.   drop.gif

Paul

#53 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

C-Max Hybrid Member

• 3,148 posts
  • LocationNewnan, GA

Posted 07 August 2017 - 11:08 AM

I made 2 new wheel covers and I can feel the car rolling easier(less aero drag) with about 1 mpg improvement in my average on this tank to 57mpg.smile.png‚Äč 

Paul

• kyledamron likes this

#54 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

C-Max Hybrid Member

• 3,148 posts
  • LocationNewnan, GA

Posted 14 August 2017 - 10:39 AM

"How to drive a CMAX Hybrid/ FFH to get great gas mileage" YouTube videos views are up to about 2500 now, smile.png  and still going up.

Paul

#55 OFFLINE   joshg678

joshg678

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 119 posts
  • Region:U.S. Northeast
  • LocationEarth
  • My C-MAX's Year:2016
  • Current Vehicle:16 C-Max Hybrid

Posted 14 August 2017 - 03:27 PM

Nice! 

Side note, i received an email notification on this.  First one since i've joined.

#56 OFFLINE   ptjones

ptjones

C-Max Hybrid Member

• 3,148 posts
  • LocationNewnan, GA

Posted 24 August 2017 - 02:08 PM

Just checked and YouTube views are up to 2551, people are interested in improving their MPG's. :)

Paul

#57 OFFLINE   Noah Harbinger

Noah Harbinger

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 422 posts
  • LocationMetro San Diego
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max Hybrid

Posted 28 August 2017 - 11:50 PM

There's also no question that shifting to N increases FE 

I played with that a bit until that one morning when I was left wondering for a second "Why did my rear-view camera come on?"  :lol:  And after that I decided it wasn't worth it. I wonder how the motor would have reacted if I had stepped on the accelerator before realizing my mistake.

#58 OFFLINE   joshg678

joshg678

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 119 posts
  • LocationEarth

Posted 29 August 2017 - 08:18 AM

I played with that a bit until that one morning when I was left wondering for a second "Why did my rear-view camera come on?"  :lol:  And after that I decided it wasn't worth it. I wonder how the motor would have reacted if I had stepped on the accelerator before realizing my mistake.

Either nothing would happen or it would slow you down.  Probably nothing.  Typically newer cars have to be going below a certain speed to 'engage' reverse.

I'm not convinced shifting to Neutral increase FE, but I've found the throttle position that is basically Neutral, and its useful to allow speed to increase down hill.

#59 OFFLINE   Noah Harbinger

Noah Harbinger

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 422 posts
  • LocationMetro San Diego
  • Current Vehicle:2013 C-Max Hybrid

Posted 30 August 2017 - 11:39 PM

Either nothing would happen or it would slow you down.  Probably nothing.  Typically newer cars have to be going below a certain speed to 'engage' reverse.

I'm not convinced shifting to Neutral increase FE, but I've found the throttle position that is basically Neutral, and its useful to allow speed to increase down hill.

On the C-Max of course there is nothing to "engage", just a matter of a direction on the torque. I'm not an expert at motors so I try to assume anything out of the ordinary carries a risk of unknown consequences. At the very least, it would be confusing for a second :) 

#60 OFFLINE   joshg678

joshg678

C-Max Hybrid Member

• C-MAX Hybrid Member
  • 119 posts
  • LocationEarth

Posted 31 August 2017 - 09:15 AM

On the C-Max of course there is nothing to "engage", just a matter of a direction on the torque. I'm not an expert at motors so I try to assume anything out of the ordinary carries a risk of unknown consequences. At the very least, it would be confusing for a second :)

I do wish there was  a button to turn on the rear camera while driving.  Old friend of mine had the reverse switch go back on his old blazer and didn't want to pay the $80 for it to replace, so i got a manual switch hooked up.  He would turn it on when people would tailgate him, some people would freak out, others wouldn't notice/care.

Custom Search

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: Tips, gas mileage, MPGs, FE

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Privacy Policy TERMS OF SERVICE ·