How to Drive a CMAX Hybrid/FFH to get Great Gas Mileage

• 2 weeks later...

With temps in the 65 - 80*F range we are in the best MPG range for the CMAX Hybrid and FFH now.  Here is my last trip to N. Atlanta and my tank fill up.

post-143-0-21347100-1522980277_thumb.jpg

Trip going up temps 78*F, little tailwind and speeds 75 - 65mph.

post-143-0-99585000-1522980377_thumb.jpg

Trip going back temp 73*F, little head winds and speeds 70 - 60 mph less drafting.

post-143-0-72754500-1522980414_thumb.jpg

Actual MPG for tank 56.6 mpg and almost 800 miles. :)  

YouTube video views upto 6500 now. :)

I use Fuelly.com to keep track of my fillups and gas mileage.  I use GasBuddy.com  to find the best gas prices which you can save 10 - 20%. :)

Paul

Edited by ptjones

How fast do you drive on the highway? I get a little impatient and only averaged like 37/38 MPG on a recent six hour trip. It was raining, and I was using E15. But I was still kind of disappointed.

I usually stay to the right, but keep up with traffic, because I try to draft semi's when I can. If traffic is heavy just go with the flow of traffic, staying behind bigger vehicles is better, but don't get to close, you never know when someone is going to slam on their brakes. :)  Remember I do all the things that are in my videos.  I drive 5k miles on a trip across country and average 49 - 51 mpg using Premium 93 octane and usually get close to 700 mi. on a tank.  BTW it usally takes 13 -13.5 gal to fillup my tank. :) I know my car pretty good with 308 fillups.

Paul

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Went to see Ceramic Expo at Cleveland International Exposition Center on Wednesday and it was Hotter there (84*F) than it was in Atlanta (80*F). :drop:  Quick trip, up one day and back the next, 12.5 hrs. each way, 2 tanks 26 gal., 1425.6 mi./ 54.8 mpg average. :)post-143-0-20597900-1525623714_thumb.jpg

Paul 

Edited by ptjones

• 2 weeks later...

The video was definitely helpful, as was spending time learning about the different screens and MyView.

This is out first week of ownership of a 2018 C-Max SE dealer courtesy car with 2500 miles that was not driven efficiently. 

Tracking our own mileage my wife and I are averaging 50.7mpg AND 60% in EV mode in about 200 miles of commuting.

We are amazed by the mileage, as well as how quiet and solid the ride is.

• 4 weeks later...

You Tube views are up to 8232 now. My Life Time Score just went up to 49.9mpg and my Fuelly for the last 10 fillups with a trip to NY and Austin, TX is 55 mpg. This shows what kind of gas mileage you can get if you use the info from My 3 You Tube videos plus the warmer temps. :)post-1049-0-81617100-1529075608_thumb.jp

Paul

Edited by ptjones

My wife is really enjoying her 45-mile round trip commute and has settled on a different route that's more efficient. Two days into her third tank of fuel she has seen a 55mpg and 57mpg days (as displayed).

Our mechanic who hyper-miles a lightened VW Golf diesel (running four space-saver spares at high air pressure) is taking notice.

My wife is really enjoying her 45-mile round trip commute and has settled on a different route that's more efficient. Two days into her third tank of fuel she has seen a 55mpg and 57mpg days (as displayed).

Our mechanic who hyper-miles a lightened VW Golf diesel (running four space-saver spares at high air pressure) is taking notice.

That's great driving.  However, I am wondering if the 2018's have some improvements built in.

Edited by obob

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Wow. I only averaged 35-37 on my trip to and from South Carolina this past week. I was going 80 miles an hour which probably played a big part of it. Sitting in traffic for two hours on I-77 waiting for people to merge properly was NOT fun at all.

I usually manage 38MPG when doing about 80MPH.  If i do more like 65 MPH i can keep about 48-50 MPG.

I assume that's what I'd get as well. But with 640 miles to drive, I wasn't going to do 65. Especially riding with people who needed to stop every hour or so. Plus the backup in Wytheville. Ugh. 

I've done enough long drives now that I'm just tired of it and just want to get to my destination. Screw the MPGs! Unless I'm going somewhere close by. Then I'm all about them <3

I assume that's what I'd get as well. But with 640 miles to drive, I wasn't going to do 65. Especially riding with people who needed to stop every hour or so. Plus the backup in Wytheville. Ugh. 

I've done enough long drives now that I'm just tired of it and just want to get to my destination. Screw the MPGs! Unless I'm going somewhere close by. Then I'm all about them <3

I know how you feel, i'm the same way.  38MPG at 80MPH is pretty good anyway.  I drive through Wytheville from time to time on my way to Tennessee, been lucky no major issues for me.

• 2 weeks later...

For me, doing 15-20mpg better than my previous vehicle is a huge personal victory.  That, and because I don't burn any extra fuel while being stopped in traffic makes me happier for some weird reason.  So far, I'm averaging 45.9 mpg for my weekly commuting.  Not sure I'll be able to do much better, but we'll see.

Greg 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...